I'm about to file

joopdog

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was about to get an attorney just to look at my N-400 application… they want $450 just to look!

I’m new here and I found this forum very insightful. Many questions I had have been answered by reading this forum. Great Forum!

I’ve run into a problem. My Green Card (GC) expires Oct-19-2009 and I have not filed for my U.S. Citizenship. My wife is U.S. born, we’ve been married since April, 1997. I became a Lawful Permanent Resident August 10, 1999.

I’m about to file my N-400, however I have many questions.

1. Is it too late to file for U.S. Citizenship? Should re-file for an I-90?
2. Should I file 3 year marriage or 5 year?
3. Should I include a cover letter?
4. Should I assemble my packet in a 9 x 12 envelope?
5. Are they going to ask for a birth certificate?

Thanks again

1. Not to late, just ensure your status doesn't expire.
2. 5 year - less paper work to file (this isn't an either or option)
3. No need
4. Make sure it looks neat
5. They may or may not, as I recall I needed it for filing my GC and was never asked again

Hi,

2. Should I file 3 year marriage or 5 year?
Thanks again

5 years is better unless you had commited offense less than 5 years but more than 3 years ago
that can be used for good moral character test.

If you file based on 5 years residency, you are examined for past 5 years for good moral character.
If you file based on 3 years residency and 3 years marriage with a US citizen ,
you are examined for past 3 years for good moral character.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. I think. I’m ready. I’m going to do the 5 year.

I’m going to attach the following items into a 9 x 12 envelope:

1. Completed N-400 form
2. Check for $675 toward application fee ($595) and fingerprinting fee ($80)
3. Two recent passport size color photographs of me with my name and A# printed on the back
4. Photo copy of both sides of my “Permanent Resident Card”

Is this Okay?

1. Not to late, just ensure your status doesn't expire.
Your status won't expire. Permanent residency is permanent. The physical green card will expire, but that is no different to a passport or driving licence expiring.

Your status won't expire. Permanent residency is permanent. The physical green card will expire, but that is no different to a passport or driving licence expiring.

One can file N-400 and I-90 simutaneously, right?

Your card expires but your status as a permanent resident does not. You do not need to renew your permanent resident card, neither do you need I-90. Just apply for citizenship. You will only need to renew your resident card if you are travelling out of the US between now and the oath for citizenship. At the oath, they will take away the GC, so why waste your money unless you have to travel.
Someone suggested this, read the guide. Also, read the instructions. All the documents that you need to submit is included in there. Both the N-400 and its instruction are available at

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Size of envelope does not matter. I used a big enough envelope so I did not have to fold any of the documents.

At the oath, they will take away the GC, so why waste your money unless you have to travel.

This assume the OP can get Oath by October when his GC expire.
If anything delay the process, he still need an unexpired GC for
various purposes.

One can file N-400 and I-90 simutaneously, right?

Yes, as long as you send the applications separately to the appropriate addresses since they are not the same for N-400 and I-90.

Some DOs may still stamp ASC in your passport instead of requiring you to dish out the extra money to renew your GC if you can show them you are currently in the naturalization process and need to travel.

Under the General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing It says to "Mark both the envelope and the cover letter as to the nature of the submission."

Here’s a sample of my Cover Letter:
January 30, 2009

To: The Adjudicating Officer
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029

Re: N-400 Application for A# xxx-xxx-xxx (Original Submission)

Sir/Madam,

I wish to apply for citizenship of the United States of America. My A# is xxx-xxx-xxx.

I qualify on the basis of having been a Legal Permanent Resident of the U.S. for the past 5 years. I have met the continuous residence requirement, the physical presence requirement and the time in district requirement. I have gone through the eligibility worksheet published in the Guide to Citizenship and determined that I am eligible to apply. This is the original submission.

I have enclosed the following items:

1) The completed N-400 application
2) A personal check for $675 toward application fee ($595) and fingerprinting fee ($80)
3) Photo copy of both sides of my “Permanent Resident Card”
4) Two recent passport size color photographs of me with my name and A# printed on the back

Thanks and best regards,

My name
A#: A xxx-xxx-xxx
<my home address>

I think this adequate.

O.K. I think. I’m ready. I’m going to do the 5 year.

I’m going to attach the following items into a 9 x 12 envelope:

1. Completed N-400 form
2. Check for $675 toward application fee ($595) and fingerprinting fee ($80)
3. Two recent passport size color photographs of me with my name and A# printed on the back
4. Photo copy of both sides of my “Permanent Resident Card”

Is this Okay?

I believe you have to send your current passport photocopies also. This is for proof of any foreign travel.

Check the guide.

Vik_b

I believe you have to send your current passport photocopies also. This is for proof of any foreign travel.

Check the guide.

Vik_b

No, you are not required to send photocopies of your passport. This will only confuse the adjudication officer reviewing the application.

THE N-400 APPLICATION IS MAILED OUT!!!

Mailed out the N-400 application as Priority, Certified mail today.

I mailed out the following:

1. A cover letter.
2. Completed N-400 form.
3. Check for $675 toward application fee ($595) and fingerprinting fee ($80).
4. Two recent passport size color photographs of me with my name and A# printed on the back.
5. Photo copy of both sides of my “Permanent Resident Card”.

Now, I'm sitting back and waiting. What an ordeal.
I like to thanks everyone for all your help.

I’ll keep everyone up to date on the progress.

I'm in Florida so I used the following:
U.S. Citizenship And Immigration Services
P.O. Box 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029

I hope this is correct.

Sorry for inject my self here . but i'm like u about to fill the n400 , my quastion is should i fill every thing even if there things no applicable to me Should i write Down None or N/A doest it make Differnt either one of them ..or if not applicable just to leavt it embty

thx

I filled everything, even my middle name although I don’t use it. Otherwise, I leave it blank.