IL does NOT get delivered if mail is in HOLD, FYI

sam99

Registered Users (C)
I was on vacation for 3 weeks and I did not received my IL due to mail in HOLD.

I talked to second level IO and he gave me my interview date and time and asked me make a INFOPASS appt to get a IL as it is must during the interview. As per IO, INS cannot re-mail IL and need to get it from local office.

FYI, those who are expecting IL and wanted to hold their mails, DO NOT do it.

USPS doesn't forward mail from USCIS if it's stamped "return service requested", so perhaps the same is true for mail on hold.

USPS doesn't forward mail from USCIS if it's stamped "return service requested", so perhaps the same is true for mail on hold.

That is correct. If an envelope is stamped "return service requested", the letter must be returned to sender by USPS if it cannot be delivered directly for ANY reason (e.g. a forwarding request or a hold mail request). I had this problem last year when I was going away for about a month and was still waiting for an interview letter. I had wanted to put a hold mail request with USPS but after talking to the local postal officials decided against it and had a neighbor look after my mail instead while I was away.

Back in 2005, I got my 10 year GC in my held mail. However I do not remember if there was "return service requested" on the envelope.

Back in 2005, I got my 10 year GC in my held mail. However I do not remember if there was "return service requested" on the envelope.

The mail that send you actual GC is an ordinary mail. It is strange that
all notice mails are considered more important than GC mail by USCIS

If you get citizenship and apply for passport, the passport will be sent to you
in a very ordinary mail too with all important original documents in it.