If your N400 is "placed in line for interview scheduling", does it mean there are no issues?

Hassan2007

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone!

I have had bad luck with USCIS. It took me 8+ years to get my GC even though I'm married to a U.S. Citizen.

However, I just filed for my Naturalization and within 2 months, the online status says it was placed in line for interview scheduling.

Does this mean that the application was good to go and there are no issues? I am just worried that the FBI Name Check will take forever again...

I was very careful when sending all required documents along side my N400 application.

Please elaborate from your own experience.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately Hassan, even getting to interview stage means nothing. As the saying goes, "it ain't over till it's over". My US citizenship took over 2 years because of a 'name check'. If yours goes on for too long you might want to go down the law suit road. That's what I has to do.

You can have a dozen things that make you ineligible for citizenship but still get an interview anyway. Getting an interview only means you paid the correct fee.

Thank you both BritishGuy and Jackolantern.

I hope it goes well however. I will update this post after the interview :)

Things could still go wrong at the interview, BUT, if you have a solid case and no discrepancies, you shouldn't worry.

Thanks Cafe! There is really nothing I am worried about beyond repeating my GC waiting time because of name check.

I am apprehensive about my case too.. I hope I don't have to go through the dreaded name check delay again. See my sig, my online status changed to "Testing and Interview Scheduling" couple of days after FP. I assumed that to take that all requisite checks are done and I'm in fact "in queue" for interview. No update on my case yet, wait and see game.

It is standard procedure to schedule the interview only after the name check is completed. So if you get an interview you can be 95-99% sure that the name check is done.

However, a small percentage of people slip through the cracks and their name check is still pending on the interview date. But if that happens you have recourse with 1447(b) if they take too long (more than 120 days after the interview) to complete the name check and give you a naturalization decision after the interview.

I am apprehensive about my case too.. I hope I don't have to go through the dreaded name check delay again. See my sig, my online status changed to "Testing and Interview Scheduling" couple of days after FP. I assumed that to take that all requisite checks are done and I'm in fact "in queue" for interview. No update on my case yet, wait and see game.

jefkron,
Did you receive a letter in the mail about the interview? I've not received mine yet but I wonder - for me - what required documents they might ask. I just want to know the time it takes between the change of status online and the arrival of the actual interview letter.

Thanks

I haven't received any letter and no updates online either. The time it takes from "in line" to receiving the letter varies from district to district. Typically a month would be a safe guesstimate. But I have seen variations on that. On person I know got the interview letter after one month of FP and then actual interview one month from the letter receive date.

Hi all on this thread..!

after my FP on Thursday status changed to 'testing and interviewing' on Monday. Does this mean the FP have been cleared by FBI.
I called FBI and they do not give any more info on immigration cases. I heard before that FBI name check is like 24-48hrs, not sure if this is true information.

Does this mean FBI clearance is completed when we have this status update on our case.

not sure calling #1800 will let us know about FP clearance or will be told to wait another 90 days before we can call them

That's what this thread is about! Did you read all posts?

I did..!

wish the answer was 'yes'

I had a speck of blood clot on 2 fingers from a little injury few days ago and did not realize about it until when the FP were being done. I asked the tech taking my FP and she said that will not be a problem.

If the FPs r not good, I hope we are notified right away by USCIS.

Just crossing my fingers everything is clear

Hi all on this thread..!

after my FP on Thursday status changed to 'testing and interviewing' on Monday. Does this mean the FP have been cleared by FBI.
I called FBI and they do not give any more info on immigration cases. I heard before that FBI name check is like 24-48hrs, not sure if this is true information.

Does this mean FBI clearance is completed when we have this status update on our case.

Probably not. When the status message changes to "On [date], your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was scheduled for interview", or when you receive the interview letter itself, that's when you can be confident that the FBI name check is completed. Since you did FP very recently, your status message is probably still showing "in line for interview scheduling".

I see the time lag between FP and online status change to "in line for interview scheduling, test and interview" varies for different applicants in the forums. In some cases they status change is quick (couple of days) and in other cases, it's couple weeks (2-3).

So status of "in line for interview scheduling" doesn't mean that an interview is about to be scheduled?

I understand that scheduling may take some time but if the security checks are all done and all that remains is the scheduling, I can live with that.

Anyone has insight on the status change to "in line" and what that implies?

I am going to definitely update everyone when my status changes. I wish someone who went through these steps would tell us what happened. Only time will tell!

My FP was done almost a month ago but the status never changed.

I see the time lag between FP and online status change to "in line for interview scheduling, test and interview" varies for different applicants in the forums. In some cases they status change is quick (couple of days) and in other cases, it's couple weeks (2-3).

So status of "in line for interview scheduling" doesn't mean that an interview is about to be scheduled?

I understand that scheduling may take some time but if the security checks are all done and all that remains is the scheduling, I can live with that.

Anyone has insight on the status change to "in line" and what that implies?

Two facts for everyone:

1.) "In line for interview" essentially means your background checks (Name check, fingerprints, IBIS and what not) are complete - not "scheduled for interview".

2.) One is not put "in line for interview" any earlier than 30 days before the date you become eligible of citizenship. So it does depend on the velocity of your Field Office in scheduling but only after you come to the "in line" status - when control is essentially transferred from NBC to the Field office.

How do I know this? - USCIS docs, anecdotal data and talking to USCIS officers face to face.

Probably not. When the status message changes to "On [date], your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was scheduled for interview", or when you receive the interview letter itself, that's when you can be confident that the FBI name check is completed. Since you did FP very recently, your status message is probably still showing "in line for interview scheduling".