WBH

Registered Users (C)
If you get a jury selection letter before oath. The deadline for replay
is after the oath, what should one do? If you sent back on the same
day of the oath, you should place a time stamp depending how you reply
I guess.

is after the oath, what should one do?

If the reply date is after the Oath, I do not see a problem. Usually Government Departments rely on the date stamp the letter was mailed. Take the letter to the Post Office and ask them at the desk to Hand-Frank the letter. That will put a red date stamp and Post Office name on it for you.

Franking is the round red stamp that cancels the stamp from re-use :) I don't mean you get Frank to hand it to someone. :D

I think Naturalization is unlike birth. You dont say I have become citizen as of 2 PM on 1/1/2009. You just say you became citizen on 1/1/2009.

So technically, if you are sending the mail back on the same day as the oath, looking back, you were citizen on that day.

If this is real life situation, I would either send the reply day before Oath noting that I am not citizen or send it day after accepting the stuff.

Technically if you're not a citizen at the time you received the notice you have until the deadline to decline , regardless of if your status changed between the time you receive and send in your response. A response along the line of "Not a US citizen at time of notice receipt" should suffice.

If the reply date is after the Oath, I do not see a problem. Usually Government Departments rely on the date stamp the letter was mailed. Take the letter to the Post Office and ask them at the desk to Hand-Frank the letter. That will put a red date stamp and Post Office name on it for you.

If you check No to the citizen question on the jury solicitation form but write
a note "I am scheduled to become a citizen on yymmdd" and send it back before the oath date,
do you think court will still possibly choose you as a juror? Assumming selection really start
after your oath date

If you check No to the citizen question on the jury solicitation form but write
a note "I am scheduled to become a citizen on yymmdd" and send it back before the oath date, do you think court will still possibly choose you as a juror?

They likely have a large enough jury pool, so they wouldn't need to send you out another notice after your oath. 70-80% of people selected for jury duty are either rejected or excused.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/08/nyregion/jury-duty-prepare-for-rejection-though-many-are-called-few-ever-deliberate.html?pagewanted=all

They likely have a large enough jury pool, so they wouldn't need to send you out another notice after your oath. 70-80% of people selected for jury duty are either rejected or excused.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/08/nyregion/jury-duty-prepare-for-rejection-though-many-are-called-few-ever-deliberate.html?pagewanted=all

And with that if you say you are not a citizen, they aren't going to follow up on that to find out the specifics either. They'll toss yours out and move to the next one rather then research if it's true or not...

I don't see this to be complicated. Jury duty is a responsibility and right of citizenship. If the date you need to reply falls after the oath I would say that the honorable thing is to wait until the oath is done and reply that you are ready to serve in the jury. In the unlikely scenario that WBH describes in which the reply has to be done the day of the oath I think it is perfectly fine to reply earlier and say that you are not a citizen. This is assuming that you get the letter and it gives you a few days to reply, so if the deadline is at your oath day that means that when you got your letter you are not a citizen and don't have any guarantee of becoming a citizen as you can be denied at your oath ceremony. Simple.

All this talk about jury duty reminds me that I have to go to my first-ever jury duty this coming Friday. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of serving? ;)

All kidding aside, I've been told that excuses don't work. Guess I have to bite the bullet and hope I don't get selected.

is after the oath, what should one do? If you sent back on the same
day of the oath, you should place a time stamp depending how you reply
I guess.

Do they send jury letter to non citizens? I thought they send it only to the citizens and you are not a citizen unless you do oath!

Do they send jury letter to non citizens? I thought they send it only to the citizens and you are not a citizen unless you do oath!

They select juror candidates from the list of vehicle registration, driver records, voter registration and in case of formter two they do not know
if you are citizens or not

Lucky you. I have yet to receive any jury summons, either here or Canada!!!

All this talk about jury duty reminds me that I have to go to my first-ever jury duty this coming Friday. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of serving? ;)

I got it when I was on H1B. To be immediately excused from jury duty, I had to reply with proof that I was not a citizen!

Suppose you do that and get citizenship later but live in the same jurisdiction,
is it possible that you will never get a jury summon again because they may
flag your name as a noncitizen?

So if such flagging exist, how can we get unflagged if we get citizenshiop later?

Suppose you do that and get citizenship later but live in the same jurisdiction,

So if such flagging exist, how can we get unflagged if we get citizenshiop later?

You can request public flogging to get back on the list.;)

I would check non-citizen and attach copy of the green card to prove it.
Then sign it and date it BEFORE you take your oath. Possibly get a postmark before your oath date.
There's nothing worng with that and you won't be called until next round. I've had my DL since 2003 and I got the form twice already, probably every 3 years.

I don't know how each individual district works, but, what I can tell you it that here in the Los Angeles area, before I became a citizen, I received three jury duty notifications. Each time, I called the number given and chose the "non-citizen' option, then signed the completed form and mailed it back. Since this happened three times, it didn't appear any "flagging mechanism" was in place.