If TN get laid off, could I claim UI with B1 visa

redleave

Registered Users (C)
I work at U.S with TN. I possibly will get Laid off these days but I still want to stay in the U.S for another 3 to 4 months in order to finish my license exam. What should I do?

1. How long will B1 visa will allow me to stay at U.S?
2, How long about F1 student Visa and how could I apply for it?

At the same time, could I apply UI at California with my BI visa or F1 visa?

I do appreciate your kind help in advance.

I work at U.S with TN. I possibly will get Laid off these days but I still want to stay in the U.S for another 3 to 4 months in order to finish my license exam. What should I do?

File for a B-2.

1. How long will B1 visa will allow me to stay at U.S?

I'd ask for up to six months.

2, How long about F1 student Visa and how could I apply for it?

Are you enrolled in a university.

At the same time, could I apply UI at California with my BI visa or F1 visa?

No. Look for threads here on TN and Unemployment.

Thank you Therealcanadian,

If I stay here for next 3-4 months with B1 or F1, then I go back to Canada and claim the UI, are I still eligible to claim UI?

How soon do I need to apply for UI once I get lay off?

You will need to check with BOTH Cdn EI and your state to determine how long you can delay making your claim, since the cliam will be co-ordinated between the two (once you move back).

Of course, delaying filing may reduce your total period of paid benefits.

And, as TRC said you would file for B2 not B1, with Form I-539.

Thanks for the great support and help. I want to confirm that:

If I temporarily stay in U.S with B2 visa, could I claim UI at California at the same time?

In order to claim UI you will have to prove that you have an unrestricted work authorization in the US i.e. a green card, US citizenship or other legal status with a valid unrestricted work authorization. If you don't meet any of these requirements, you cannot claim UI.

B1/B2 or F1 status does not confer work authorization in the US and therefore cannot be used to claim UI.