If N-400 gets rejected, can I reapply it?

hlin4

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

After going through lots of posts here, I am considering to apply Citizenship by myself. But, before I go for that, I want to clear one question as it's important for filing citizenship by myself. Many thanks in advance.

If I make any mistake while filling the N-400 form, for example, missing some info or putting some wrong info because of typo (of course, I'll double check to avoid these mistakes) I will get directly rejected by IO or I will get something like RFE asking me to provide more/correct info?

If I get rejected by IO because of missing/wrong info at N-400, can I still apply for citizenship again?

Looking forward to your reply.

Take a photocopy of the filled-in N-400 before you send it in. Review the copy after you mail in the original. If there are mistakes, you can correct them at the interview. However, depending on what you left out or wrote incorrectly, the correction could delay your case.

If there is a mistake and you don't correct it, and the officer discovers the discrepancy after the interview, they can deny you for lying (depending on what it was about) and make you wait 5 years to reapply.

Hello everyone,

After going through lots of posts here, I am considering to apply Citizenship by myself. But, before I go for that, I want to clear one question as it's important for filing citizenship by myself. Many thanks in advance.

If I make any mistake while filling the N-400 form, for example, missing some info or putting some wrong info because of typo (of course, I'll double check to avoid these mistakes) I will get directly rejected by IO or I will get something like RFE asking me to provide more/correct info?

If I get rejected by IO because of missing/wrong info at N-400, can I still apply for citizenship again?

Looking forward to your reply.

Minor typing errors can be cleared with IO during interview but it hard to imagine such errors because the form is pretty easy, like name, address, SS#, height, weight, out of country trip dates and choosing yes or no to moral character section and other things in the end. Not disclosing important info like arrests, divorce, membership of any unwanted organizations etc.. is different matter. RFE's during naturalization is extremely rare. You just need to take all documents for interview to clear any minor issues. They will reject your case only if they find you lied to them or any event is reflecting badly on your character or if you filed petition early than legally allowed. As for the question of refiling, it all depends on why you petition was denied the first time.

You wouldn't get denied for a typo on your application,so stop thinking the worst. However, if USCIS discovers you purposely withheld important information you will get denied.

I really appreciate the prompt replies from you all. I will be very careful to fill up the 'easy' form and make sure there's no such missing info/typo mistakes.

Many thanks!

I really appreciate the prompt replies from you all. I will be very careful to fill up the 'easy' form and make sure there's no such missing info/typo mistakes.

There should be a form N-400X to allow one to amend their application (like 1040X) :D.... Seriously, the form is not that difficult to fill, just long, but figuring out what applies to you may take some thought.

There already is. It's the interview.

In the old days when it took many months, N-400X could be useful... Now that we're at the point of 3-4 month N-400's I guess it does not make as much sense...

The interview would also be the place to 'confirm' some of the legends of the forum... I forgot to add Costco to my list of organizations :eek: (true). All the same, Costco is a much more important part of my life than many of the other organizations I am associated with :confused:. Or, do you include written warnings (citations :confused:) with tickets?