ICE crackdown on not carrying the physical card

WBH

Registered Users (C)
I read news in my natuive language that ICE strengethneing crackdown on not carrying physical green card and some epople who carry photocopies even faced double
charges (not carrying GC and illegal photocopying the GC).

I was natualized already but I have passport card in my wallet but I did not throw
teh photocopies of GC away from my wallet (teh reason is that I am too lay to throw it away or I just keep iot as a habit or I attached some sentimental valeu to it).

INA: ACT 264 - FORMS AND PROCEDURE

Sec. 264. [8 U.S.C. 1304]

(a) The Attorney General and the Secretary of State jointly are authorized and directed to prepare forms for the registration of aliens under section 261 of this title, and the Attorney General is authorized and directed to prepare forms for the registration and fingerprinting of aliens under section 262 of this title. Such forms shall contain inquiries with respect to (1) the date and place of entry of the alien into the United States; (2) activities in which he has been and intends to be engaged; (3) the length of time he expects to remain in the United States; (4) the police and criminal record, if any, of such alien; and (5) such additional matters as may be prescribed.

(b) All registration and fingerprint records made under the provisions of this title shall be confidential, and shall be made available only (1) pursuant to section 287(f)(2), and (2) to such persons or agencies as may be designated by the Attorney General.

(c) Every person required to apply for the registration of himself or another under this title shall submit under oath the information required for such registration. Any person authorized under regulations issued by the Attorney General to register aliens under this title shall be authorized to administer oaths for such purpose.

(d) Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this Act shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

(f) 1/ Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Attorney General is authorized to require any alien to provide the alien's social security account number for purposes of inclusion in any record of the alien maintained by the Attorney General or the Service.

Show me an ACTUAL person that this has ever happened to.

This is one of those things best classified as an "URBAN LEGEND" or "OLD WIVES' TALE".

I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, are you interested???? How about some LOVELY property for your development on the Florida Everglades????

Show me an ACTUAL person that this has ever happened to.

This is one of those things best classified as an "URBAN LEGEND" or "OLD WIVES' TALE".

I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, are you interested???? How about some LOVELY property for your development on the Florida Everglades????

Anyway it is safer to write a "this is a photocopy of the original green card" on teh photocopy
you carry if you do not carry the original. And do not use colo copier to copy your GC

. . . And do not use colo copier to copy your GC

I have made color copies of the green card for inclusion as a part of the N-400 application (for Naturalization). Also, in the past, while seeking visas to visit foreign lands, I had to include copies of the green card. And, when I make copies, I make color copies.

Then, again, I was carrying a copy of my green card with me one day because the HR department at my place of work asked for it.

Should I not be carrying a copy of my green card with me when I appear at the Naturalization interview?

I have made color copies of the green card for inclusion as a part of the N-400 application (for Naturalization). Also, in the past, while seeking visas to visit foreign lands, I had to include copies of the green card. And, when I make copies, I make color copies.

Then, again, I was carrying a copy of my green card with me one day because the HR department at my place of work asked for it.

Should I not be carrying a copy of my green card with me when I appear at the Naturalization interview?

Don't carry a copy of your green card to the interview. Send the copy with the application as per the instructions, and carry the actual card to the interview.

The problem with carrying a color copy is that it a color copy can look like an attempted forgery. There was a guy who not only made a color copy, but cut it down to size so it could fit easily in his wallet. When stopped by ICE at a checkpoint he showed them the copy and was arrested for forgery. I don't know what was the final outcome of his case.

If you carry a copy, you should make it blatantly obvious that it's only intended to be viewed as a copy. That means it should preferably be in black-and-white, and should be displayed on a larger piece of paper instead of being cut down to size. If it's in color, write the word "copy" on it or near it.

You didn't have a problem with those color copies sent to government offices because their application processes expected a copy, and presumably those copies were not cut down to size, they were embedded on a larger sheet of white paper.

Next time when you make copies of the green card, save yourself some money and make them in black and white.

I don't understand how a think piece of coloured paper cut down to size can be used to accuse you of forgery. It's ridiculous. But, I believe you that they might. Still, stupid. On hard plastic card stock, I understand. But just paper?

I don't understand how a think piece of coloured paper cut down to size can be used to accuse you of forgery. It's ridiculous. But, I believe you that they might. Still, stupid. On hard plastic card stock, I understand. But just paper?

With a color copy, it's a simple next step to take the paper and get it laminated, or paste it onto plastic or hardened paper. Or to display it in the plastic picture-holder of a wallet, where it might not be clear that it's just regular paper.

Such tricks obviously won't fool you or me, but it could fool (and probably has fooled) employers who aren't very familiar with immigration documents.

I surely don't expect anybody to get convicted of forgery for carrying a color copy of their own card. Once it goes to court all the facts will be sorted out. But at the scene of a checkpoint where somebody doesn't have their own actual card, it might not be so easy to establish on the spot (especially in the eyes of a highly suspicious ICE agent) that it is indeed a copy of their own card (and not a copy of somebody else's card, or a fabricated one with a manipulated name or face), and that it is intended to be viewed only as a copy with no intent of forgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
FastCard Allow Drivers carrying goods to cross in a express lane from or to Canada. Nexus does the same for international travelers.