i130-help-Status

fresh72

Registered Users (C)
My friends mother is in us on a visitor visa which expires in July. He has filed for her i130. Can she stay in the us after her visitor visa has expired?

I am going to assume that your friend is a US Citizen. If not, then he cannot file an I-485 for her. If he is USC, then yes, he may file an I-485, I-130 and all other relevant documents. Once they receive the NOA. His mom will be in a status called "AOS pending" and it is legal until she receives "approval/denial" from USCIS.

Make sure you to file, at least 1 week, before her I-94 expires. Not that it will cause any problem as she is an immediate relative of USC. But to avoid additional "$1000 fees" and more questioning during the interview. It is better for him to apply early.

thanks so even if her i130 is not approved by the time her visitor visa expires as long as she files a 485 petition she can stay?

Yes, assuming that she is not put in removal proceedings before she files the I-485. Note that even if the I-130 was approved, it still wouldn't allow her to stay, because I-130 by itself doesn't give or extend any legal status. It is the I-485 that would authorize her to stay in the US legally until the I-485 is decided.

The I-130 receipt* needs to be included with the I-485, since the I-130 and I-485 forms were not filed together.

*or the I-130 approval notice, if it's approved before filing the I-485

Last edited by a moderator: