• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I need advice! Thank you!

alexhero

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum and one of the 2010 DV lottery winners from EUROPE.
My case number is 2010EU000278**. The 1st NL is dated on June 05 and I received it on June 12th....just for the records...

This is my story: I sent the first set of papers to KC at the end of June 2009. Now, I haven’t been scheduled for the interview yet, and I will get married in 3 weeks (mid February). After we get married I want to resend the paperwork so my wife can get the Green Card as well. My future wife is in the US for 3 and a half years and is on a J1 visa.

These are my questions:
1) When we get married should she keep her last name or change to mine? Does it matter in regards to the application for DV Lottery?
2) Should we choose AOS or CP? (she is on a J1 visa and needs to apply for a waiver)
3) After we get married I will have to resend all my paperwork again and the paperwork for my wife. Is that all I have to do since I already sent my first of paperwork last year? Do I have to call KC to let them know that I got married?

Please advice!
Thank you!

DV2010 CN: 2010EU00027xxx
1st NL received - June 12th 2009
Papers sent to KCC - July 10th 2009
Papers received by KCC - July 14th 2009
KCC sent 2nd NL - still waiting

Last edited by a moderator:
Some short answers:
1) it does not matter which name she has.
2)you can only choose CP since you are the winner and she is not, and you are not in US. She needs to come back home and come to the interview with you.
3)I think you need to submit all the paperwork again since your marital status has changed too. You can call KCC and ask them exactly what you need to do. Also for the interview prepare a lot of evidence of your relationship, like pictures, YM extracts, phone bills, since if you do not prove your marriage is a good one (not made just for the visa) you will get rejected.

I forgot to mention that I'm currently in the US as well on a H1B visa, and when I sent the first package I chose CP...

Can I change it to AOS now? In this case is better to go through AOS or should I stick with CP? Which one is the least expensive process? CP or AOS?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
stick with CP

I suggest to stick with CP since your case number is way too high. Your case is not scheduled for a an interview yet either. The same is with me, although my case number is around EU24,000. If you do AOS, then you probably wont get your card on time and the whole process will expire.

I suggest to stick with CP since your case number is way too high. Your case is not scheduled for a an interview yet either. The same is with me, although my case number is around EU24,000. If you do AOS, then you probably wont get your card on time and the whole process will expire.

Thanks for your advice! Some users say that, before the interview date, I need around 3 weeks in order to get all my documents and the medical exam in my home country...do you have any idea if this is true or nor?

yeah something like that... take a month if you can just for safety. Also, i don't think that they will grant your future wife a DV visa, as far as I know. Becaue as I remember, they had a line or two in the forms you sent with first pacakge (NL) that said: "if you are married now, put details of your spouse as there will not be allowed any changes afterwards" or something like that... good luck!

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum and one of the 2010 DV lottery winners from EUROPE.
My case number is 2010EU000278**. The 1st NL is dated on June 05 and I received it on June 12th....just for the records...

This is my story: I sent the first set of papers to KC at the end of June 2009. Now, I haven’t been scheduled for the interview yet, and I will get married in 3 weeks (mid February). After we get married I want to resend the paperwork so my wife can get the Green Card as well. My future wife is in the US for 3 and a half years and is on a J1 visa.

These are my questions:
1) When we get married should she keep her last name or change to mine? Does it matter in regards to the application for DV Lottery?
2) Should we choose AOS or CP? (she is on a J1 visa and needs to apply for a waiver)
3) After we get married I will have to resend all my paperwork again and the paperwork for my wife. Is that all I have to do since I already sent my first of paperwork last year? Do I have to call KC to let them know that I got married?

Please advice!
Thank you!

I don't know that much of J1 visa's but what i know is that she has to meet the J1 requirements and that is to be back in her own country for 2 years before she can come back on another visa....I don't know if they will waive that requirement. Overall USCIS is pretty strick with requirements, and it might raise a red flag. But than again i'm not an immigration lawyer and I think you should obtain legal advise not to hurt your chances. If she doesn't get a GC than after you get married and you become a citizen she still can get a Gc through you, but the chance is there that she first has to meet the requirements and marriage might or might not be a reason for obtaining it before having met these requirements....

I know you won't be eligible for a DV lotery GC if you haven't furfilled the requirements of a J1 visa....so my guess she can't get one...hopefully for you I'm wrong!:)

Thanks bentlebee!

Also, can you please double check on this: After I get married all I have to do is to resend my papers together with my wife papers to KC... or to the embassy in my home country (in case I do CP) ? I also read that I have to send a cover letter. What do I have to write in there? For that matter, can I find a standard cover letter somewhere?

USCIS Application Support Center
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL, 60680-4120

Re: DV2010
Application for Adjustment of Status of:

Date of birth:
Case #: 2010 EU000
Foreign State Chargeability:

To whom it may concern,

Please find attached the following documents in relation to my application for adjustment of status, based on the 2010 DV Lottery.

This what my friend used for the AOS to Chicago...a similar thing you can use for the letter to KCC so you have to change the addressee and what the reason for change is.....

Btw you are stating your not married right now, so you need to have proof that you really know each other for a long time and not like you get married due to you winning the DV lottery...You have to sent in all changes that occur after you have entered into the DV lottery...marriage, child birth, change of address. You don't have to submit anything until you get legally married because you can't apply for a fiancee, and again be careful doing anything before you really know about the J1 visa...

Thanks a lot bentlebee!!! You are a very nice person and I really appreciate your help!

Your very welcome!:)

If you go to the top of the page you can create a signature with your case# and add all dates in your process so others can see it and follow your process.:)

As bentlebee said J1 visa might have the 2-year physical home residence requirement. Check her passport... if your fiance has it it should appear on the J1 visa. "Requirement, 212(e)". If this is the case I recomend you to get a good layer or apply by yourself (delay your marriage- your personal decision) and after you get your CG requested adjustment for your wife by getting a waiver if possible.

Good luck,