I need advice regarding Naturalization

Macc edenoug

So I should wait till getting the US passport and only then inform my HR for the update?

The first action i would advise after oath is to visit SSN office. They need original NC, but will return it across the counter. If there is a name change, first visit DMV. Even in States where you do not get new DL across the counter, they would issue a slip. With that visit SSN and job is done in a jiffy. Visiting post office or Passport Center can be next.

The first action i would advise after oath is to visit SSN office. They need original NC, but will return it across the counter. If there is a name change, first visit DMV. Even in States where you do not get new DL across the counter, they would issue a slip. With that visit SSN and job is done in a jiffy. Visiting post office or Passport Center can be next.

Thanks for these directions! Indeed, we have already visited SSA today. My old SSN card with "INS authorization for employment" was shredded, and a new one with the same # will be sent to me shortly. My son's SSN card does not need to be replaced, since he got it after GC and no restrictions for employment are listed. so the lady at the SSA has just updated his status in the computer. Of course, we showed NCs to her, but she did not request and take any copy of NCs. Then we went to the University HR. They made copies of our both NCs (my son is employed by the University as well as an undergraduate research assistant). I asked about I-9, but they told us that NCs are sufficient at this point, and if they need anything from us, they will call me. We did not fill in any forms at the HR, and no passport is required at least at this point. We did not go to the DMV yet, but will do this in the nearest days - we have not been changing names, but we were waiting for naturalization to update DL info (address change, and also as I mentioned before, my height is wrong in the current DL). As for applying for passports, my son will do it through the passport office in the town court house, but I will most likely have to go to Chicago for expedited (same day) passport, because I am invited to lecture in Italy in September, and I was almost about to decline this invitation due to absence of passport. Does anyone know whether I need to provide an airline ticket and invitation letter from Italy to get this kind of very fast passport issuing? I am afraid of buying a ticket before I get my passport, because if this is delayed for some reason, I will have to cancel my travel and return the ticket...

I am invited to lecture in Italy in September, and I was almost about to decline this invitation due to absence of passport. Does anyone know whether I need to provide an airline ticket and invitation letter from Italy to get this kind of very fast passport issuing? I am afraid of buying a ticket before I get my passport, because if this is delayed for some reason, I will have to cancel my travel and return the ticket...

The invitation letter should be sufficient.

Stop worrying.

Thanks for these directions! Indeed, we have already visited SSA today. My old SSN card with "INS authorization for employment" was shredded, and a new one with the same # will be sent to me shortly. My son's SSN card does not need to be replaced, since he got it after GC and no restrictions for employment are listed. so the lady at the SSA has just updated his status in the computer. Of course, we showed NCs to her, but she did not request and take any copy of NCs. Then we went to the University HR. They made copies of our both NCs (my son is employed by the University as well as an undergraduate research assistant). I asked about I-9, but they told us that NCs are sufficient at this point, and if they need anything from us, they will call me. We did not fill in any forms at the HR, and no passport is required at least at this point.

While it is true that the naturalization certificate is not accepted for I-9 purposes, you are not required to fill out a new I-9 when changing status from permanent resident to citizen. As a permanent resident, you only need to complete the I-9 once in your lifetime* for the same employer; green card expiration or naturalization does not require updating the I-9.

That's why HR didn't ask for your passport or a new I-9, and they took a copy of your NC only for their own internal records, not for immigration regulations.

*unless you get fired or resign the job and get rehired, or USCIS/ICE specifically notified the employer that your green card is invalid or been revoked

While it is true that the naturalization certificate is not accepted for I-9 purposes, you are not required to fill out a new I-9 when changing status from permanent resident to citizen. As a permanent resident, you only need to complete the I-9 once in your lifetime* for the same employer; green card expiration or naturalization does not require updating the I-9.

That's why HR didn't ask for your passport or a new I-9, and they took a copy of your NC only for their own internal records, not for immigration regulations.

*unless you get fired or resign the job and get rehired, or USCIS/ICE specifically notified the employer that your green card is invalid or been revoked
Oh, I see... That's why she said that I was fine and did not need updating I-9! But many people on this forum write about I-9 updating - I thought that this was obligatory for everyone.

Passport applications

Both my son and I have applied for expedited passports today through the passport department at the municipal court. They said it would take about 3-4 weeks to get documents back. Also, they said that passports and NCs will arrive in different envelopes - this is done for security purposes. I hope it would be enough time for me before the planned travel to Italy. Anyway, express passport service in Chicago accepts applications only if travel is within 2 weeks from the date of application for passport. Frankly, not driving to Chicago is a big relief for me, since it would take lots of time & energy, while semester begins... and I am still not sure whether it would be possible to get passport the same day at Chicago office. So I risked to apply from my town. It costs $450 for two applications, including application fee (cash $25 each), expedited service ($60 each), and plastic passport cards ($30 each) - I do not understand completely their necessity, but my son insisted on having them. Anyway, if ordering plastic cards separately later, we would have to pay another $25 fee per card - now we have paid the application fee only once.
Also, I went to the DMV today and asked about DL exchange. They said there is no need to do this right now, - we may wait till DL expiration dates. Less hassle!:rolleyes:

Passport card is really helpful for regular commuters to Canada/Mexico. Other than that, it's pretty much useless, unless you have a habit of carrying a second ID just in case.

---------
(Passport card)
Valid when entering the United States
from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean
and Bermuda at land border crossings
or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for
international travel by air.
---------

Passport card is really helpful for regular commuters to Canada/Mexico. Other than that, it's pretty much useless, unless you have a habit of carrying a second ID just in case.

---------
(Passport card)
Valid when entering the United States
from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean
and Bermuda at land border crossings
or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for
international travel by air.
---------

Yes, that's what I thought - only for land and sea, and not for air. But is it accepted as an ID, for example, when going through security check points in the airports (in the US, not international flights, of course), similar to DL? Also, the US citizens are not required to carry passports or passport cards with them everywhere, like LPRs are required to carry their "green cards", correct? Or in some States (say, border States - like NM, TX, CA, AZ, and those states bordering with Canada) there is such a requirement? I am asking theoretically...

Last edited by a moderator:
But is it accepted as an ID, for example, when going through security check points in the airports (in the US, not international flights, of course), similar to DL?
of course. It's a government issued photo ID.
Also, the US citizens are not required to carry passports or passport cards with them everywhere, like LPRs are required to carry their "green cards", correct?
That's correct.
Or in some States (say, border States - like NM, TX, CA, AZ, and those states bordering with Canada) there is such a requirement? I am asking theoretically...
ICE raids in those areas are quite targeted and racial profiled. Yes, you can potentially be approached by ICE agent and asked to confirm your citizenship. The worst case scenario, they will hold you a couple of hours in order to verify your citizenship, but I wouldn't much bother about it. In my view, periodic jury duty is a way more distracting.
The best use of the PC I can come up with (besided its direct use, of course) is a second photo ID if you do a lot of domestic travel. But again, it's more like a paranoid thing. You are a citizen now, so you can relax, chill out and enjoy being a citizen.

New trouble - new question

Dear friends! I have learned that my dad got heart attack, and he is intense care in a hospital in my home country. I have just submitted my documents for US passport on August 15. I used expedited way, since was planning to go to Italy on business trip in September. Now I may need to go to my country of birth because of my dad. But I am without US passport... What should I do in this situation? I am just desperate...

Dear friends! I have learned that my dad got heart attack, and he is intense care in a hospital in my home country. I have just submitted my documents for US passport on August 15. I used expedited way, since was planning to go to Italy on business trip in September. Now I may need to go to my country of birth because of my dad. But I am without US passport... What should I do in this situation? I am just desperate...

Sorry to hear about your situation.

The instructions at the State Department webpage
http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html
say that in case of life or death emergencies one should call the The National Passport Information Center, 1-877-487-2778
They should be able to help you.

As far as I remember, in such situations it should be possible to essentially do a walk-in appointment at a passport agency. They do have the capability of finding your pending passport application in their system and then issuing you a same-day passport.

But do call the National Passport Information Center first.

I recall that you're from one of the former Soviet republics. If you are no longer a citizen of that republic, make sure that you, as a U.S. citizen, don't require a tourist visa. I recently underwent the visa application process for my upcoming trip to Moscow, and it took about 5 weeks to receive approval.

I recall that you're from one of the former Soviet republics. If you are no longer a citizen of that republic, make sure that you, as a U.S. citizen, don't require a tourist visa. I recently underwent the visa application process for my upcoming trip to Moscow, and it took about 5 weeks to receive approval.

Baikal and Vorpal, thanks for advices... I probably could leave with Russian passport (I am originally from Moscow), and my son will send me US passport later by FedEx. Is this risky?

Baikal and Vorpal, thanks for advices... I probably could leave with Russian passport (I am originally from Moscow), and my son will send me US passport later by FedEx. Is this risky?

You'd better check with Fedex first. They may have a policy, restricting from sending passports overseas.
Since you've already applied for it, you can't re-apply from outside the U.S. at the consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like I said, I think you should call The National Passport Information Center and talk to them about your situation.
The State Department does have procedures in place for dealing with these kinds of emergencies and you should utilize them instead of improvising and doing something potentially illegal.

I'm with Baikal on this one. Definitely contact NPIC - they will be able to help you out.

You should enter Russia with your Russian passport. At check-in, present both the U.S. and the Russian passports to the airline agent. When you land in Russia, only present your Russian passport.

On a side note, I was born in Moscow. When my wife and I travel there next month, we are flying Aeroflot out of JFK, on the same flight (SU 103) that was rerouted to Iceland last week due to a bomb threat. Talk about irony!

I have received my US passport!

I'm with Baikal on this one. Definitely contact NPIC - they will be able to help you out.

You should enter Russia with your Russian passport. At check-in, present both the U.S. and the Russian passports to the airline agent. When you land in Russia, only present your Russian passport.

On a side note, I was born in Moscow. When my wife and I travel there next month, we are flying Aeroflot out of JFK, on the same flight (SU 103) that was rerouted to Iceland last week due to a bomb threat. Talk about irony!

Thanks, guys! I have received my US passport today, so I can leave the US for Moscow and come back without any risk. One question: the passport must be signed. The leaflet enclosed says about FULL NAME signature. However, I am signing all my documents (including Naturalization Certificate) using short abbreviated signature ( indeed, I keep the same as the one I have in Cyrillic letters, but by coincidence the letters in my signature are not much different from Latin letters). So do I need to put just my first, middle, and last name in handwriting in my new US passport, or I may use my usual signature?
Also, when I check in at the airport for international flight, should I show both passports? And the same in Russia - when I check in, I should show both passports, correct? Won't this be a problem?

Thanks, guys! I have received my US passport today, so I can leave the US for Moscow and come back without any risk. One question: the passport must be signed. The leaflet enclosed says about FULL NAME signature. However, I am signing all my documents (including Naturalization Certificate) using short abbreviated signature ( indeed, I keep the same as the one I have in Cyrillic letters, but by coincidence the letters in my signature are not much different from Latin letters). So do I need to put just my first, middle, and last name in handwriting in my new US passport, or I may use my usual signature?
Also, when I check in at the airport for international flight, should I show both passports? And the same in Russia - when I check in, I should show both passports, correct? Won't this be a problem?

Sign the passport with your regular everyday signature. I signed my passport with what I call my "rockstar autograph" and have traveled abroad numerous times without any problems. Same goes for my wife.

When you check in for the flight, show the counter agent both passports. When you land in Moscow, show only your Russian passport at the immigration checkpoint. When you leave, once again show both passports to the counter agent in Moscow (I assume you'll be flying into/out of Sheremetyevo?), and only show your U.S. passport at immigration when you land in the U.S. This won't be a problem. You're not the first dual citizen to travel abroad, and you're certainly not the last.

Sign the passport with your regular everyday signature. I signed my passport with what I call my "rockstar autograph" and have traveled abroad numerous times without any problems. Same goes for my wife.

When you check in for the flight, show the counter agent both passports. When you land in Moscow, show only your Russian passport at the immigration checkpoint. When you leave, once again show both passports to the counter agent in Moscow (I assume you'll be flying into/out of Sheremetyevo?), and only show your U.S. passport at immigration when you land in the U.S. This won't be a problem. You're not the first dual citizen to travel abroad, and you're certainly not the last.

Vorpal, many thanks! Yes, through Sheremetyevo. I hope I will travel without any problems. Hope my dad would recover and would be glad to see me...