I lost a letter sent by the immigration center. Can I get another copy?

ann310

Registered Users (C)
So, we lost our asylum case. But we did file for an appeal. After that we got a letter saying we can stay in the country for as long as our case is alive. Could I still get a copy of that letter since I lost it?

How long ago was it? You could file a FOIA request on form G-639 with USCIS to get a copy if you did not have lawyer who could give you a copy.

At what stage are you in the process? Is it an appeal with BIA or in the Circuit Court of Appeals? When was the appeal filed? When was the case denied and who last denied it (USCIS, IJ, BIA, Circuit Court)?

Was it the initial and timely appeal or a motion?

Well it was 2006. We received the letter after we were granted withholding of removal. We lost the initial asylum case and we filed for appeal almost right after.

Well it was 2006. We received the letter after we were granted withholding of removal. We lost the initial asylum case and we filed for appeal almost right after.

You are a confused individual. First you are talking about an appeal of asylum denial then you say your were granted WOR. You got the booby-prize.

They let you stay and work because it is "more likely than not" that you would be tortured or killed if forced to return home. You were not wanted but the U.S. could not bring itself to force you to return to a likely death or torture. If the U.S. has any reason to want to get rid of you (like criminal activity) they will search for another country to send you to or monitor your home country for a change that would allow them to send you back.

All you get from WOR is an EAD and in some states, that alone will not even get you a driver's license. If you have an old EAD or at least know your A#, you can apply for a new EAD. If you don't even have that info, you can file that G-639 and/or make an infopass appt. and they can try to find your info based on name, BOD and country info. so that you can at least file for an EAD.

I said we lost the asylum case. Obviously, we filed for an appeal. But even though we lost the case we were granted WOR. How am I confused? What I am asking here is whether or not I can get another copy of the letter saying that as long as our case is alive that we can stay in the country.

I said we lost the asylum case. Obviously, we filed for an appeal. But even though we lost the case we were granted WOR. How am I confused? What I am asking here is whether or not I can get another copy of the letter saying that as long as our case is alive that we can stay in the country.

Your case is not "alive", you got WOR. End of story. Your proof of continued WOR comes is the form of EAD renewals. A current valid EAD for category (a)(10) identifies WOR, that's it.

So what you are saying is that our case is done for even though we appealed? I am not talking about EAD here. Could you please just answer whether or not I could get another copy of a judge's order?

ann310,
the whole point is that whenever you appeal and get the decision, is the end of story, which means the case is done (unless you appeal it to next circuit court). WOR allows you to renew your EAD and that is it pretty much. There is no meaning such as "case is alive". And yes, you can get the copy of the decision, just consult a lawyer for proper proceduring the application form for it.

i think you CAN file an appeal for an asylum denied even if you were granted WOR. It almost always will be about the One year bar issue though. Regarding the Judge's Order, try to contact the court's clerk through an attorney and they might be able to give you a copy.

Thank you all for replying. We appealed our case to the 9th circuit court already. We are now just waiting for the result. For the EAD though I am a little confused. When we applied for EAD we got denied because the judge who initially looked at our case gave a decision before the 150 days were over. So we have to reapply right?

Thank you all for replying. We appealed our case to the 9th circuit court already. We are now just waiting for the result. For the EAD though I am a little confused. When we applied for EAD we got denied because the judge who initially looked at our case gave a decision before the 150 days were over. So we have to reapply right?

You are more than confused, you are duplicitous (look it up). In the very first reply--#2, below, I specifically asked you where you were in the process and included among other things "Circuit Court". You gave an incorrect non-reply.

Expect no further information from me. I think you are a fool and deserve what you get. Your asylum claim was probably all a pack of lies anyway. You can't even tell the truth on an anonymous website where you are asking for help and advise. THAT,in itself, tells a great deal about you. You can't even tell the truth when your identity is unknown. Any Immigration Judge looking you in the eyes probably had to practice meditation techniques to keep from jumping over their desk and smacking you upside the head.

All you get from WOR is an EAD and in some states, that alone will not even get you a driver's license.

All states in the US recognizes EAD and will issue a driver license if the alien has only EAD. EAD is a document issued by the US goverment and it is good enough for the alien to be eligible for a driver license in every state.

Yes, an EAD is accepted as proof of identity but it is not accepted as proof of legal presence in the U.S.

So even a valid EAD from USCIS does not make your presence legal in the U.S? And what if you apply for an adjustment of status later on, would that timeframe with a valid EAD would be counted as illegal presence? Help me understand that bcz its confusing...

So even a valid EAD from USCIS does not make your presence legal in the U.S? And what if you apply for an adjustment of status later on, would that timeframe with a valid EAD would be counted as illegal presence? Help me understand that bcz its confusing...

I was shocked when I learned this new policy. This shows you that states have the power to come up with their own immigration policies.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are more than confused, you are duplicitous (look it up). In the very first reply--#2, below, I specifically asked you where you were in the process and included among other things "Circuit Court". You gave an incorrect non-reply.

Expect no further information from me. I think you are a fool and deserve what you get. Your asylum claim was probably all a pack of lies anyway. You can't even tell the truth on an anonymous website where you are asking for help and advise. THAT,in itself, tells a great deal about you. You can't even tell the truth when your identity is unknown. Any Immigration Judge looking you in the eyes probably had to practice meditation techniques to keep from jumping over their desk and smacking you upside the head.

HOW DARE YOU! YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW BAD IT WAS FOR US! I NEVER ASKED YOU TO REPLY! SO IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO SAY THEN GET THE HECK OUT OF THIS SITE. THERE WAS NO LIE IN OUR PART! YOu do not know me or my family and what we went through. You did not even get what I was tlaking about and frankly I do not know what you are talking about. A simple I am sorry I do not understand you would have been better than saying you are confused and duplicitous. HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME AND MY FAMILY OF LYING! We had OUR WONDERFUL LIFE and we had to leave it because we had to.

For this I hope the worst for you and your family. May you experience what we did