• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I leave to USA soon, HELP please

abdel65

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

Me, my wife and our 2 kids, we got our DV visa last week.
We travel to the USA soon to avoid the expiration of our temporary visa and to activate the Green Gard delivery,
But we plan to comeback 2 weeks later, because our kids have to finish their current school year.

Can someone advise us on how to deal with this situation without losing our rights to the Green Card????

Once entered the USA, if we don't get our GC in 2 weeks and we leave USA for a temporary period to enable our kids to finish their current school year, will we have problems later?????

All helpful advise, suggetions or informations will be welcome. Thanks a lot.

you can just wait for your kids to finish school before going to USA because the visa is valid for 6 months, so you have plenty of time for your kids

When you first arrive in the USA, with the temporary visa that's in your passports, the customs officer will stamp that visa. The stamp will have a date that is one year from the date of your entry. You can re-enter the US using that validated temporary visa, for the one year duration. After that, you must use your Green Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can just wait for your kids to finish school before going to USA because the visa is valid for 6 months, so you have plenty of time for your kids
Unfortunately our DV visa expires 12 february 2014 while our kids will finish their current school year on 30 june 2014.
Anyway thanks jayo2k.

When you first arrive in the USA, with the temporary visa that's in your passports, the customs officer will stamp that visa. The stamp with have a date that is one year from the date of your entry. You can re-enter the US using that validated temporary visa, for the one year duration. After that, you must use your Green Card.
dear Vichel, if your answer is certain, it will suit perfectly our need. Thanks a lot anyway.
I hope that other members here can confirm the Vichel's answer.

Unfortunately our DV visa expires 12 february 2014 while our kids will finish their current school year on 30 june 2014.
Anyway thanks jayo2k.

dear Vichel, if your answer is certain, it will suit perfectly our need. Thanks a lot anyway.

There's some disagreement about whether it is 6 months or 1 year - they will let you in after 6 months but probably question you more closely, though an explanation of delay should be fine. In any case you may well be within the 6-month window. But yes you can certainly activate and then go home again,finish the school year then return to the US.

Be aware that staying out longer than 6 months will however affect the date you can apply for citizenship, as the 5-year period will reset to your second date of entry; if you are away for less than 6 months the 5-year period will be counted from your first entry.

Vichel's response is correct. As a new immigrant, you can come in, activate your LPR status and go back to your home for close to one year and use the I-551 stamp on your to get back in, if you were unable to wait for the arrival of your GC at your initial trip. They do understand that sone new immigrants need more time to round up their affairs in their home country before relocating permanently to the US, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting back in.

However, if you will be out for a year or more, then make sure you apply for a re-entry permit during your initial trip. You will need to wait and do the biometric before you leave and you can request for the reentry permit to be sent to your home consulate.

Vichel's response is correct. As a new immigrant, you can come in, activate your LPR status and go back to your home for close to one year and use the I-551 stamp on your to get back in, if you were unable to wait for the arrival of your GC at your initial trip. They do understand that sone new immigrants need more time to round up their affairs in their home country before relocating permanently to the US, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting back in.
With a small font somewhere in our DV visa it is stated the text below:
" upon endorsement serves as temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1-year "
That means the answers of Sm1smom and Vichel are correct.
Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you, and specially to this forum's founders.
The forum is really helpful. Congratulations.

With a small font somewhere in our DV visa it is stated the text below:
" upon endorsement serves as temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1-year "
That means the answers of Sm1smom and Vichel are correct.
Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you, and specially to this forum's founders.
The forum is really helpful. Congratulations.

as the guys mentioned, just be sure to enter US for 1st time before your visa expiration date, so in your case you need to travel before 12 Feb. 2014
BTW, my case is same to yours, i am planning to go on Jan and stay for 3 weeks, then back to country to finish the schools physical year, and then left in summer to US and stay there forever.

good luck

then make sure you apply for a re-entry permit during your initial trip. You will need to wait and do the biometric before you leave and you can request for the reentry permit to be sent to your home consulate.

Hi Sm1smom
really can we do that ? is 3 weeks or max 30 days is enough time to apply for the re-entry permit and doing the biometric ?
and are they accept to send it to our home US consulate ?
i would like do that for me, my plan is to keep my family in US and back to home for 1 year since i need to close and finish all my job belongings

There's no guarantee that 30 days will be enough, so you ought to be able to extend your trip if necessary. If your kids are under 14, they don't need to go to the appointment. But, it looks like your family will stay in the US. If you don't have time for a permit, and you will be out for a a year, then at least try and visit the US in the middle somewhere.

Do your kids have off sometime before February 2014. You would be way better of if you could go mid of January and then move shortly after June 30. This way you could avoid a period >6 month where you left the U.S.

There's no guarantee that 30 days will be enough, so you ought to be able to extend your trip if necessary. If your kids are under 14, they don't need to go to the appointment. But, it looks like your family will stay in the US. If you don't have time for a permit, and you will be out for a a year, then at least try and visit the US in the middle somewhere.

yes sure, i will be there for at least one time if not 2 during the year