I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Good Evening

I have just come across this site by chance and it took me many hours to read almost every posting. I am having similar problem. I have to admit that I learnt a lot about the material support provision if the Immigration Law. It makes me sad that so many of us have been denied the due process of law.

I came to this country in 1994 on a non-immigrant visa. Later I changed my visa to F1 (student) and for years I was having valid immigration status while I was attending school. I managed to get my undergraduate and graduate degrees. In early 2000 I applied for asylum and in 2003 I was granted asylum by the immigration court. A year after my application for asylum was granted I applied for my wife and after a year she was able to join me. (she is now a naturalized citizen). In 2005 I applied to adjust my status to PR and since my application is on hold because of material support provision of INA. Few months ago in response to my inquiry the service informed me that my application has been assigned to an officer for processing. Six months have passed since and I have not heard anything. I sent a request for update approximately 10 days ago and the service has yet to respond. I suspect that my application is subject to CARRP. I have reached a point that it is becoming unbearable to continue dealing with this never ending uncertainty. It is so embarrassing that most of my close friend are not aware of my problem. It is difficult to explain to them that I have been denied immigration benefits because the government thinks I may be a security risk to the country. I am also tired of dealing with immigration attorneys.

I have decided to leave the US. I can never return to my birth country. I hope if I can find a way to move to Canada. I would appreciate if you guys share your thoughts. The reason I am seeking your opinion is that I got so much information here that I could not get from four different attorneys in the 10 or so years.

Thanks

Loe

Good Evening

I have just come across this site by chance and it took me many hours to read almost every posting. I am having similar problem. I have to admit that I learnt a lot about the material support provision if the Immigration Law. It makes me sad that so many of us have been denied the due process of law.

I came to this country in 1994 on a non-immigrant visa. Later I changed my visa to F1 (student) and for years I was having valid immigration status while I was attending school. I managed to get my undergraduate and graduate degrees. In early 2000 I applied for asylum and in 2003 I was granted asylum by the immigration court. A year after my application for asylum was granted I applied for my wife and after a year she was able to join me. (she is now a naturalized citizen). In 2005 I applied to adjust my status to PR and since my application is on hold because of material support provision of INA. Few months ago in response to my inquiry the service informed me that my application has been assigned to an officer for processing. Six months have passed since and I have not heard anything. I sent a request for update approximately 10 days ago and the service has yet to respond. I suspect that my application is subject to CARRP. I have reached a point that it is becoming unbearable to continue dealing with this never ending uncertainty. It is so embarrassing that most of my close friend are not aware of my problem. It is difficult to explain to them that I have been denied immigration benefits because the government thinks I may be a security risk to the country. I am also tired of dealing with immigration attorneys.

I have decided to leave the US. I can never return to my birth country. I hope if I can find a way to move to Canada. I would appreciate if you guys share your thoughts. The reason I am seeking your opinion is that I got so much information here that I could not get from four different attorneys in the 10 or so years.

Thanks

Loe
I don't know if my expierence will help you or not but in a good faith I wish to share my information, you may have read my story if you have been to the previous forums so I will share with you what I believe will help you with my expierence. Briefly I came to the USA in 1993 and applied for Asylum granted in 1998 and applied for Parmanent residence in 1999, my son who is now a Canadian Citizen was born in USA his mother was stopped in Canada US border by US immigration and denied entry, she later became Canadian Citizen.
I applied for Canadian visit VISA in 2003 and I was granted, Imwent to Canada for 9 days while VISA was good for 6 months spent a few thousands in shopping and came back in good books i.e. No traffic ticked or illegal issues, in 2007 when my case was put on hold, I later applied for Canadian and the visa and it was denied so far I have been denied Canadian VISA twice.
Point here is that may be there is some info sharing between borders or may be its just a coincidence, I have given 3 medical and numerous fingerprinting but some how my case is on hold, just like you I regret coming to USA which turned out to be tragic, my entire family including my parents, siblings and relatives are US citizens and it is very embarrassing just like you informed.
The Canadians will question you why have you not been given citizenship after so many years.
So be very well prepared cause if you are denied VISA again and again like me then it becomes impossible cause Canadians are even worst and ruthless than US as per my expierence.

I don't know if my expierence will help you or not but in a good faith I wish to share my information, you may have read my story if you have been to the previous forums so I will share with you what I believe will help you with my expierence. Briefly I came to the USA in 1993 and applied for Asylum granted in 1998 and applied for Parmanent residence in 1999, my son who is now a Canadian Citizen was born in USA his mother was stopped in Canada US border by US immigration and denied entry, she later became Canadian Citizen.
I applied for Canadian visit VISA in 2003 and I was granted, Imwent to Canada for 9 days while VISA was good for 6 months spent a few thousands in shopping and came back in good books i.e. No traffic ticked or illegal issues, in 2007 when my case was put on hold, I later applied for Canadian and the visa and it was denied so far I have been denied Canadian VISA twice.
Point here is that may be there is some info sharing between borders or may be its just a coincidence, I have given 3 medical and numerous fingerprinting but some how my case is on hold, just like you I regret coming to USA which turned out to be tragic, my entire family including my parents, siblings and relatives are US citizens and it is very embarrassing just like you informed.
The Canadians will question you why have you not been given citizenship after so many years.
So be very well prepared cause if you are denied VISA again and again like me then it becomes impossible cause Canadians are even worst and ruthless than US as per my expierence.

Thanks Hecate for your prompt reply. I do understand your frustration. It is sad to hear your story. Every one of us has similar sad story. We have been treated worst than the terrorists held in Guantanamo Bay Naval Base. Those held in Cuba have at least the right to question their detentions and their cases are periodically looked into by Judges. We have been denied that basic due process right after we have been admitted as refugees or granted asylum. One day I was talking about my case to one of my long time client who as a federal magistrate in Nashville, TN, presides over naturalization oath taking ceremonies here in Federal Court. She thought I was joking. She gave me a long lecture about the rule of law and our rights to due process of law. I asked her to go and do some research and she would find out that i was not making up these stories. When I met her a few days later she said "I am so sorry and I could not believe that this has been happening to thousands of law abiding immigrants who have been dully admitted into the country."

I just got the following e mail from the INS responding to my recent inquiry about the current status of my case:

Thank you for contacting the SCOPSSCATA Team. The purpose of the SCOPSSCATA Team is to assist petitioners, applicants or their authorized representatives who contacted the NCSC via phone (1-800-375-5283) with an inquiry but feel the response they received was insufficient and/or the response exceeded the 30-day time limit. Our team will attempt to respond to all requests, however, please note that you will not receive a response to your inquiry if you did not first try to resolve your issue by contacting the NCSC, or if you are not the petitioner, applicant or a designated representative of the case.
If you are asking for a status update you must contact the NCSC. We will not respond to your status update inquiry.

I do not know what to make out of it as almost 7 months ago the SCPSSCATA team in responding to my inquiry stated that my application had been assigned to an officer for processing.

Going back 18 years in the past, I remember how grateful I was when my asylum was approved, today I wish I was denied, I was young and single with all wide options to deal with any issue, now all doors are closed, this US government xenophobia has jeopardized all other options, I have tried other options i.e. UK and Canada but again the problem arises with questions that makes me a suspect without ever getting in trouble with the law not even a parking ticked " were you legally living in the USA and if yes then why haven't you got a citizenship in 23 years" and next a denial, funny thing is that once the USCIS asked me to get my police clearance from all the states I have lived in and it was hard to get all clearance certificate in a short time but I was able to by using express mail and still no answer.

Your case seems to be rather unique as you are separated from your family. It must be very difficult. Before filing for asylum while I was having a valid US non immigrant visa I did travel to Canada a couple of times and each time I was able to obtain visit visa to Canada without any difficulty. I wish I stayed there too. Six months ago I got an e mail from the INS telling me that my case was assigned to an officer for processing. Last week the SCPSSCATA group had no information about my application and today I got another e mail stating that they have reviewed my application and it is still on hold. What surprised me the most is that they stated that according to my file I joined my uncle's goup and and took arme voulntarily. I was never a memeber of an armed group and therefore, never mentioned such thing in my appliction and subsequent interview and court hearing. I do not know how they came up with this. In fact I thought I was dreaming when I read their e mail. I had to double check the copy of my asylum application. This entire expereince has been a rollercoaster so I really do no if we will ever get out of mess.

It is not surprising to me, I was connected to a group that I had no link with what so ever, I spoke to Melanie Nazir and also sent a letter to Obama and informed that I had no link with the group they probably connected me with by mistake, later I got a response from USCIS requesting me to provide my fingerprints and I said bingo, well now after 7 years I am still waiting helplessly.
I also went to my local service center and a supervisor requested USCIS to sent my file to local service center but now they are ignoring me and keep sending service request which does not do much.

At this point it is rather confusing and difficult to say if our pending applications have been put on hold by mistakes. All the replies I have recieved from the INS through out the years in responding to my inquiries about the status of my appication, except for the last one, are very general and vague. And what amezes me the most is that those responses are contridictory. The last reply really blew my mind. As I stated earlier I was told to be affilated with an armed group led by my uncle and that particular group fell within the defination of an undesigned (Tier III) terrorist organization. I was somehow happy to see that they have provided me the specific reason for putting hold on my application. I just hope they stick to that reason and do not change it to something else in future. I will be writing one last time to the INS and trying to explain their mistake and provide them with a copy of my asylum application and trascripts of my hearings and hopefully they may realize their mistake. Otherwise I will definetly challenge them in court.

Please keep us posted of the outcome and let's keep every one informed of all our recent actions and the outcome.
Thanks

I will...
A good friend suggested that it is good time as a group we should write to President Obama after the election and ask him to help us by removing the reminging organizations from the so called list. I am not sure if it will be helpful but at the same time it is an effort worth trying. I beleive if the current adminstration does not take action we should not hope for the next adminstration to do anything for foreseeable future.
I would like to hear your opinions...

If someone wants to write me directly please drop me a line at
Loe.kan@hotmail.com

I will...
A good friend suggested that it is good time as a group we should write to President Obama after the election and ask him to help us by removing the reminging organizations from the so called list. I am not sure if it will be helpful but at the same time it is an effort worth trying. I beleive if the current adminstration does not take action we should not hope for the next adminstration to do anything for foreseeable future.
I would like to hear your opinions...

If someone wants to write me directly please drop me a line at
Loe.kan@hotmail.com

Sure, there is nothing to lose and worth trying. Let's hope we can gather some more volunteers.

@LOE , what do you need from volunteers ?
I was wondering if we could write a collective letter to the President urging his administration to provide group-based exemptions to the remianing groups that are still on hold some for decades. After the unexpected outcome of the presidential election I am afraid if the out going administation does not do anything in the next few weeks our chances of ever getting our pending applications approved donot seem very good.

I was wondering if we could write a collective letter to the President urging his administration to provide group-based exemptions to the remianing groups that are still on hold some for decades. After the unexpected outcome of the presidential election I am afraid if the out going administation does not do anything in the next few weeks our chances of ever getting our pending applications approved donot seem very good.
Whenever You say, I believe there will be ore people in the forum willing to join in.

I am wondering if our status is in jeopardy as per what I have been hearing during presidential debates regarding Asylum, please some one with right knowledge can add to our knowledge.

I am wondering if our status is in jeopardy as per what I have been hearing during presidential debates regarding Asylum, please some one with right knowledge can add to our knowledge.
That should be a concern of everyone of us. At this time it is not clear as to how the new immigration policy will take shape. I am afraid too that probably our current status may be easily revoked by the new administration. It really mkes me mad to see that the democratic adminstration had almost 8 years and they did not take a concrete step to solve our problm...we should just hope for the best and wait and see.

That should be a concern of everyone of us. At this time it is not clear as to how the new immigration policy will take shape. I am afraid too that probably our current status may be easily revoked by the new administration. It really mkes me mad to see that the democratic adminstration had almost 8 years and they did not take a concrete step to solve our problm...we should just hope for the best and wait and see.

****One very important point I should mention is that I was told by attorney to obtain a new refugee travel document ASAP.

****One very important point I should mention is that I was told by attorney to obtain a new refugee travel document ASAP.
Things are not looking good here although people are saying that policy changes are going to take time but politics is in for sure. My asylum interview was expedited on request of a democrat by AO, I got interviewed awaiting decision now since the dems lost, the same office is not even replying to status enquiry by same office.