I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Folks, I am looking into some legal stipulations for resolution of (if not all) at least some of the Tier III related cases.... as soon as I have some traction and development will keep you posted.

In the meantime, can someone from the call (any participant), briefly summarize what was being shared? Just asking for information which can be shared with the general public?

Will appreciate it a lot! I think someone will get some benefit out of it!!

Thanks.

Joseph, please note the above case is different from Iranian lady case from AZ -

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...n-refugee-sues-get-green-card-after-wait.html

This case is about Fatima Asadi's G-Card and citizenship processing case. This is the second case that Ms. Hughes and I briefly discussed. I am not sure that Ms. ASADI was somewhat involved with MEK or not, but herself and her husband, were part of KDPI.

Anyways, the reason to mention this case was to make a point of G-Cards being retroactive (back dated) once approved by the USCIS. (if this makes sense)???

I hope this information helps and clarifies above mentioned two different / distinguished cases, for two different reasons.

I hope you remember why Mr. AMROLLAH (MEK) case was being brought up and discussed by Ms. Hughes and I.

Thank you!

Thank you mfak1 for your reply. Yes, it is the case I was trying to find, and I very well remember when it was mentioned back in 2013 in this forum. The case has an eerie resemblance to my case, and since a precedent has been established, I am hoping my case could benefit from this record. (My wife was also involved with MEK but her involvement was much more insignificant compare to that of the individual in the Texas case). I was then, back in 2013 very confident my wife could benefit from this case, but hoped the newly released exemptions would render it unnecessary. I am reconsidering it again, as it seems like USCIS can not decide independently, and is greatly confused how to apply the various exemptions to all these cases, as each case has its own uniqueness and challenges. Let's face it, we pretty much all know it takes a legal action to resolve this matter, but hesitate for the obvious reason of hefty costs involved.

Last edited:
Joseph your welcome,

I am hoping some of the things (which I shared), if not all, could be of some help to you and to others!

Btw: "Setting a precedent" (based on the similar / previous case) doesn't work always and especially in AZ lady's case, it most likely will not be the case. I can guide you a little, but please seek a legal council to explain to you, why it won't be a case to set a precedent. However, the MEK case, which I shared with you, will have more weight and will definitely "can be" used to set a precedent (if you get a good lawyer and sue USCIS - starting with Writ of Mandamus). Both of these cases have very different case-law applied, and therefore were completely different in proceedings. I can guide you a little here, but again get a legal council and use (especially the MEK case) to sue USCIS perhaps for your spouse - if you chose to do so!! Another - hint or advice I can share about that MEK case is that, it will help you massively or your spouse massively, if you happen to reside in the ( 5th Federal court district of the US). If so, your spouse will have even a greater chance for fighting for her case (starting in the form or Writ) against USCIS by using MEK case as a precedent case. Find a legal council, a knowledgeable one, and seek good legal advice, then strategize how to move forward.

Now I still believe, "Individual legal action against USCIS" is the most feasible and somewhat safer way to move forward. As we all (participants on the call), heard from Ms. Hughes about the challenges she may face to have a "class action" due to difference of sub-categorization of each and every case. She may pull the strings to finally do the class action or get someone else to do it, but with whatever is going on and legal challenges faced due to unique nature of all of our cases, I am afraid, it may not find that traction and most importantly "legal ground" that it will be needing to have the success that petitioners will be seeking against USCIS. Remember the biggest obstacle will be to have "cases of somewhat similar nature", and most importantly with "Similar Timeline for approval of their Asylum cases" and then by being placed on hold, and then taking other important factors into consideration (like the case was approved by the IJ or an immigration officer, which federal US district the petitioner resides in can also play a role) then have a class action done. The other main challenge, I can think of would be the various districts and somewhat different policies from USCIS....... But again, when the time comes, I am sure Ms. Hughes will elaborate on it, if she will be able to find a law firm willing to move forward with the class action will explain that as well ... Let us all hope for the best!!!

If you can look and read through my messages from the past, especially from about in the last few months, you will find a similar theme, " Do some really good research about cases like yours)!! and then find lawyers (if possible, in your own locality- cause it is a bit easier way to handle) and move forward with a Writ complaint. (at-least we all should do it, to shake-up USCIS). My idea was somewhat supported by Ms. Hughes as well. If not all, but I am sure - very good number of folks here, will get benefit out of it. I understand, it will not be an easier road, but if play right, it will lead to some resolution and success. I understand that some folks have had filed for writ in the past, and will say why should i do it again? my answer is simple, things have changed and its worth a shot this time around. This is another hint, if anyone chooses to move forward with it.

Now the real obstacle, moving forward with what I have mentioned above and what I believe is the main culprit is: "Fear" and lack of "Sense of direction" from majority of folks in this hold mess!!

It is not the "hefty cost", because if we really do the math, in some cases, cases have been pending for over 10 or 15 years...... do the basic math, and in those years, we all have spent thousands and thousands of dollars to get moving forward--- I am sure, if people try they can find lawyers in their locality and (in some cases), you may need to educate those lawyers, but move forward with some positive action plan! A reasonably priced lawyer, can make payment arrangements with their clients to take whatever legal action is necessary for their respective cases.

For those who were on the call and heard me speaking with Ms. Hughes, recall my conversation with her???!!! She and I, we were discussing some legal terms and clauses, please recall them, do a research on them (for starters use MEK case), find a descent - knowledgeable lawyer and take this MEK case and your own case, and let them shed some light (especially in the "light of new exemptions from USCIS"), and how to legally move forward on your individual case?

Remember, all of our cases are very unique in nature, for some it will be a bit easier to have a case like MEK, and may use it as precedent and move forward with the Writ, and for others a different (unique) strategy will be required to get their case resolved..........

Again, I am not an immigration council and can't help you all with their individual cases by giving advice, but at least those who heard me on the call with Ms. Hughes, use those key terminologies that were being discussed, and then do your research, understand how it will work for your case and then with a help of a local immigration lawyer specialized in "Removal proceedings - especially for Refugees and Asylees cases", get your cases looked at and take action!

I hope this helps for you Joseph and to all others

Thanks!

Last edited:
mfak1, thank you for your advice and the valuable information. I unfortunately do not live under the jurisdiction of the fifth district court. I am in Atlanta area and should be covered by the eleventh district (If I'm not mistaking ). I am planning to give this a shot starting by an inquiry about my wife's case, using the new forms and guidance that Ms. Hughes mentioned in our conference call. Call me naive, but I'm planing to write them a letter, present a reference to the Texas MEK case and explain why I believe my wife case should also benefit based on the set precedent.
Should my efforts bring no satisfactory results ( which I doubt they would ) I then will precede to aquire the services of an immigration attorney to push this forward . I am on the same page with you as mentioned in my previous post that it appears more and more that it takes a writ of mandamus to INDIVIDUALLY tackle this issue.

Your welcome Joseph!
+++++++

Hello this portion of the message is to all who attended the Friday conference call!!

May someone from the call (any participant or participants), briefly summarize what was being shared?

Just asking for information which can be shared with the general public / general information (not specific to anyone's particular case) but a common knowledge? We can cross-check our notes as well, to make things better, clearer and appropriately informative.

Will appreciate it a lot!

I think someone / maybe all of us , will get some benefit out of it?!?!

Thanks.

Hello everyone (especially those who are stuck on TierIII TRIG category)!

This is my feed-back or "legal stipulation" (if you will!!), after consultation with same legal background experts... The following case was also being discussed, briefly, on our Friday call with Ms. Hughes.

This is the "KEY Case", perhaps if not "THE MOST Important case" but definitely is a "Very, Very Significant case" for all of us who are being placed on this hold. Please take this case to your lawyer of choice, in your locality...especially who is somewhat specialized in "Removal Proceedings" and take your case along with the following case... ask the lawyer to do a comparative analysis and get your case (somehow) processed, by following (more or less what this person did in his case!)...

I could only imagine pain and suffering we are all going through (some more or some less), but definitely after Friday's call, hearing some of your "Painful" and a bit "Sad Voices", I am inclined to share with you all what could be a starting of some-sort of resolution. I definitely believe this will help us all!

I am hoping for the best for us all!! Please read through some of my previous messages (on this forum). Cases which have been approved (Asylum status) back in 1990's, please get the real hint and use this following case as a some sort of precedent case to move forward with your case (that may very well be a Writ of Mandamus- as a starting point!!).... But try to follow what Mr. AMROLLAH did (in the following case), and get some sort of resolution done for your cases. And, especially I am reaching out directly to all those who attended the Friday conference call, you know who you are and you are all in "more or less / approximately" waiting for same time category as a pending / hold case. Now you all may reside in different U.S. federal district courts (other than Fifth Circuit), but nonetheless, it’s worth a shot to try taking this case along with yours to a knowledgeable, immigration attorney and let him or her, shed some light on your case to have a resolution. Remember the following case as a strong precedence in the "5th Circuit", and if play your cards right, it may benefit your cases as well!

Hope this one helps!! Please read through the entire case (thoroughly and carefully!!)

May God Bless us all!

Please see the following complete case:

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ****A KEY CASE FOR US ALL*****!!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

710 F.3d 568 (2013)

Tom AMROLLAH, also known as Mohammad Hassan Amrollah-Majdabadi, Plaintiff-Appellant
v.
Janet NAPOLITANO, Secretary, Department of Homeland Security; Alejandro Mayorkas, Director of Citizenship and Immigration Services; Gerard Heinauer, Director of the Nebraska Service Center for Citizenship and Immigration Services; Robert Mueller, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Eric H. Holder, Jr., U.S. Attorney General, Defendants-Appellees.

No. 12-50357.

United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit.

March 4, 2013.

Lance Edward Curtright, De Mott McChesney Curtright & Armendariz, L.L.P., San Antonio, TX, for Plaintiff-Appellant.

Erik R. Quick, Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Immigration Litigation, Washington, DC, Gary Layton Anderson, Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Texas, San Antonio, TX, for Defendants-Appellees.

Before STEWART, Chief Judge, and DAVIS and CLEMENT, Circuit Judges.

EDITH BROWN CLEMENT, Circuit Judge:

Tom Amrollah fled Iran in 1998 for the United States with his wife and two children. After receiving a grant of asylum, Amrollah and his family filed an application to obtain lawful permanent residence status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services ("USCIS"). Ten years later, USCIS deniedAmrollah's application. Amrollah filed suit in the Western District of Texas seeking relief under the Administrative Procedures Act ("APA") and the Declaratory Judgment Act. The parties filed cross-motions for summary judgment and the district court granted judgment in favor of the government. For the following reasons, we REVERSE.

FACTS AND PROCEEDINGS

Tom Amrollah (formerly known as Mohammad Hassan Amrollah-Majdabadi) is a citizen and national of Iran. In 1979, Amrollah was working as a pharmacist in Iran when he began providing medical assistance in the form of prescription medications and bandages to the mujahedeen movement.
Amrollah never formally joined the mujahedeen, but he was arrested for his support of the movement in 1982, and sentenced to a year in prison and 30 lashes. Upon his release from prison, Amrollah continued to support the movement by providing prescriptions as well as money for printing pamphlets. In 1996,Amrollah was arrested a second time and sentenced to six months in prison. He claims that this was the last time he provided any support to the mujahedeen movement.

Two years after his 1996 arrest, Amrollah once again received a subpoena to appear before an Iranian religious court. In response, Amrollah, his wife, and their two children decided to flee Iran for the United States, entering near Eagle Pass, Texas on July 8, 1998. Amrollah admitted to entering the country illegally, but sought asylum on the basis of his persecution in Iran. Amrollah acknowledged his support of the mujahedeen movement in his petition and in an asylum hearing before the Immigration Judge ("IJ"). The IJ granted Amrollah and his family asylum, noting that he found Amrollah to be generally credible and that "[a]lthough the Service attorney hints, or hinted that Respondent's support of the Mujahedeen indicated violent activity which might disqualify the Respondent from being eligible for asylum," the IJ "conclude[d] that Respondent's testimony showed he did not commit any violent act," and that he was therefore eligible for asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1158. The government did not appeal this decision.

One year later, Amrollah and his family applied for lawful permanent residence status. His children's applications were approved in 2004 and 2005, butAmrollahand his wife's applications remained pending until 2009. Amrollah filed his original complaint on December 1, 2009, seeking a writ of mandamus to compel agency action on his and his wife's applications. The government proceeded to grantAmrollah's wife's application, but denied Amrollah's application without a hearing, based on the support he had provided to the mujahedeen movement.

Amrollah filed an amended complaint, arguing that the government wrongly denied his application for permanent residence status and requesting relief under the APA, 5 U.S.C. §§ 704 and 706, and the Declaratory Judgment Act, 28 U.S.C. § 2201(a). The district court found that the agency's decision was supported by substantial evidence and that collateral estoppel did not bar USCIS from denyingAmrollah's application. Amrollah timely appealed.

DISCUSSION

Amrollah received his grant of asylum in 1999 under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, which permits refugees to seek asylum when "race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion was or will be at least one central reason for persecuting the applicant." 8 U.S.C. § 1158(b)(1)(B)(i). This statute also prohibits the government from granting asylum to aliens who participate in terrorist activity as defined by 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)(i) or 8 U.S.C. § 1227(a)(4)(B), including aliens who provide material support to any individual, organization, or government conducting terrorist activity. Id. at § 1158(b)(2)(A)(v) (1999); see also id. at § 1182(a)(3)(B)(iii)(III) (1999) (discussing the prohibition against material support).

An alien who has been granted asylum is eligible for an adjustment in status to that of permanent resident if, after being physically present in the United States for at least one year, he is otherwise "admissible... as an immigrant under this chapter at the time of examination for adjustment." Id. at § 1159(a)(2)(b). Aliens who engage in terrorist activities, as defined under the same statute used in asylum proceedings, are not admissible. See id. at § 1182(a)(3)(B)(i)(I). In other words, both 8 U.S.C. § 1158 (the statute governing petitions for asylum) and 8 U.S.C. § 1159 (the statute governing petitions for permanent resident status), look to 8 U.S.C. § 1182 (the statute governing inadmissible aliens) to determine whether an alien is eligible for relief.
CONCLUSION

We REVERSE the decision of the district court granting summary judgment to defendants, RENDER summary judgment for Amrollah, and REMAND this case to the agency for proceedings not inconsistent with this opinion.

[1] The government contends that the mujahedeen movement is indistinguishable from Mojahedin-e-Khalq ("MeK"), a revolutionary Iranian organization. The United States Department of State designated MeK a Tier I Foreign Terrorist Organization in 1997, but this designation was lifted on September 28, 2012, after multiple appeals from MeK that it had disarmed and been non-violent since at least 2003. The government argues that regardless of this de-designation, the mujahedeen movement qualified as a Tier III terrorist organization during the time that Amrollah provided support. As discussed below, we need not reach this question.

[2] Although this statute was passed after Amrollah filed his petition for permanent resident status, it is retroactive to "actions taken by an alien before, on, or after such date." Pub.L. No. 107-56, § 411(c)(1). Furthermore, 8 U.S.C. § 1159(b) looks to whether an alien is admissible "at the time of examination for adjustment" of status, which in this case was in 2010.

[3] Although it would not significantly alter the analysis, we note that the government does not argue, nor does the record support, that Amrollah qualified for asylum because he did not know or have reason to believe that the organization he supported had committed or planned to commit a terrorist activity.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MAY GOD BLESS AND PROTECT US ALL!!

Hey guys this thread has been completely silent this year. I take that nobody has any thing significant to report. Be that as it may. we have to and must keep this thread alive (a humble request).

Please let me share an email that I sent to Anwen Hughes today. I will let you know when or if she replies. The email is as follows:

[Dear Ms. Hughes,

In February of 2014. I had sent you this email asking you to see if i had any chance to benefit from the new exemptions. In December of 2015 I attended the conference call hosted by you. One of your suggestions was to do inquiry with the USCIS to find the status of the case.

I did one inquiry in December and again one this week, here is the reply that I received on both occasions:

"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) records show that your case is currently pending adjudication. However, we have had to perform additional review on your case, and this has caused a longer processing time.

We hope this information is helpful and appreciate your continued patience.
"

It seems that my case is no longer on hold but requires further review. I have been doing some research as to what this review could be and came across this candid USCIS program called CARRP (Controlled Application Review and Resolution Program) which basically directs the adjudicators to delay the adjudication if an adjudication would result in approval. Notably the program is directed mainly towards Muslim applicants. I hope that you are familiar with it.

I get the feeling that I am being subjected to it. I know that your time is precious, but I humbly request that you look at my declaration and access whether I qualify for "Insignificant Material Support" exemption thereby subjected to CARRP and also how I should proceed forward.

I applied for adjustment of status in May of 2003, was denied in February of 2008. Case was reopened in April of 2008.

I know that ACLU in 2014 filled a law suit on behalf of 4 applicants on the premise that they were being subjected to CARRP. Later on the law suit was withdrawn by the plaintiffs because USCIS adjudicated their cases with approvals.

I am thinking about bringing on board a few applicant from our December conference call and going to ACLU.

Please share your thoughts, I would be eternally grateful.

I optimistically await your reply.

Best regards,

Noetic]

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments from any one.

Last edited:
Noetic,
This is a very interesting piece of information. This could be one reason why, SOME OF US are in the Never - Ending -Game circle. I cannot believe that muslims adjusting status in the United States experience the impact of these stereotypes.

Thanks for your response Deep Trigger. I actually am not surprised because the history of our great nation is littered with theses "fears of the unknown" based on ignorance leading to great injustices.

Anyways, please let me know if anyone wants to come onboard and explore this further by talking to ACLU as a group.

My adjustment of status is also on hold because of TRIG I have two questions:
How did you all continue to drive and function after the first asylum AED expired?
My EAD expires in June 2016 ,if I apply for a new one how long would it be valid for?
What are the steps you are taking to resolve the TRIG issue?and. Who's Ms.Hughes?

My adjustment of status is also on hold because of TRIG I have two questions:
How did you all continue to drive and function after the first asylum AED expired?
My EAD expires in June 2016 ,if I apply for a new one how long would it be valid for?
What are the steps you are taking to resolve the TRIG issue?and. Who's Ms.Hughes?
It will be good for 1 year
You can apply for EAD any time you wish, before or after does not matter, you are not required to have an EAD after you are approved for asylum, Ms Hughes is an attorney with human rights as you may realize it is a human rights issue since United States of America has gone back to the place where she did to Japanese Americans after war with Japan, the inconsistency in relationship with other countries and United States are often paid by innocent victims because of race, religion or nationality as proven by our (USA) past history and yet USA claims to be a solicitor of human right in the international community and accuses others of war crimes, human rights violence etc.
Some times they welcome the leaders in White House while other times they tag the same as terrorist and vice versa some times they tag them as inadmissible terrorist and other times they give them a red carpet welcome, it's all dirty politics, now if you are a Muslim it's time to pay the price, may God bless and protect us all, btw most of us if not all stucked here are Muslims or have Muslim names even though I can guarantee you that if not all then almost all of them are grateful and loyal to USA, I am just objecting to some dirty politicians and numb nuts who draw a bad picture of USA, and to answer your last question there is nothing we can do but we are still optimistic.

Last edited:
I have received the following reply from the service in responding to my inquiry about the current status of my pending application. Has anyone received similar response lately?

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485). Your Form I-485 has been forwarded to an officer for an adjudicative action. You will receive notification:
  • if more information is required; and/or
  • when all security checks have been completed and a final decision has been rendered
All correspondence will be mailed to the address on file with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please allow USCIS enough time to complete the adjudication of your application before requesting status updates.

Thank you for your continued patience.

I got a similar e mail almost four years ago and since no progress has been made on my application. At this stage I am not sure what this e mail shows except for one thing that I should stop requesting status updates and give them enough time to make the decision. I guess almost a decade has not been enough time to finish the processing of my application.

I just received a notice from the service stating that my pending application for adjustment of status has been approved. I would like to say that it was Ms. Hughes willingness to represent me early this year that moved my application from hold. I am very grateful for her assistance...I wish everyone whose application is till on hold all the best...

I just received a notice from the service stating that my pending application for adjustment of status has been approved. I would like to say that it was Ms. Hughes willingness to represent me early this year that moved my application from hold. I am very grateful for her assistance...I wish everyone whose application is till on hold all the best...
Congratulations, wish you best of luck, if you don't mind sharing what group did you belong to.

Thanks... I used to work for a Malaysian consumer advocacy group...I was an employee... and the group has never engaged in political activities...I can not understand why my application was put on hold...I am a Buddhist...However my name sounds like a Muslim name...

Thanks... I used to work for a Malaysian consumer advocacy group...I was an employee... and the group has never engaged in political activities...I can not understand why my application was put on hold...I am a Buddhist...However my name sounds like a Muslim name...
Very true, I am glad one more innocent family is out of misery, pray for us brother, have a nice day.

I would like to thank everyone here for the support and for answering my questions .This was a very hard road to travel many tears , so much pain that I acquired tolerance and became like someone who is numb and clueless. after 15 years of agony finally i received my approval early this month .I have found guidance through this thread and so many important information , I decided to seek Mr. Thomas Ragland help and he did it for me . Please stay positive and continue to have faith and hope .This is not impossible to resolve .i wish you all the best

I would like to thank everyone here for the support and for answering my questions .This was a very hard road to travel many tears , so much pain that I acquired tolerance and became like someone who is numb and clueless. after 15 years of agony finally i received my approval early this month .I have found guidance through this thread and so many important information , I decided to seek Mr. Thomas Ragland help and he did it for me . Please stay positive and continue to have faith and hope .This is not impossible to resolve .i wish you all the best

I am happy for you and am glad that your ordeal is finally over. Would you please explain who Mr. Thomas Ragland is?

Hi all - I responded to an RFE last month about my involvement in the political organization, and answered all 13 questions with the help of my attorney. I have received another RFE last week for a medical exam - stating that it has been more than a year since my last medical exam and based on new policy since 2014, medical exams are only valid for one year.