I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Hello Everyone
I was doing some research when landed on this page. I am in the same boat like everyone else. My I-485 application for adjustment of status is on hold for more than five (5) years. I have written few times to INS asking about the status of my application and every time I received almost identical reply. However, the last e mail I got from them included many details. I was told my application was on hold because I was member of a particular group in my home country and that group was classified as a terrorist group under new law. As a matter of fact nowhere in my asylum application I have ever claimed to be affiliated with any group in my home country. And the group that I have been identified with is the very group that I was seeking protection from. In my asylum application and subsequent interview with asylum officer I had clearly mentioned that particular group that I feared the most. I was found by the service to be credible and had well-founded fear from that particular group. And after six years now I have been told that somehow I became member of that group.

Let us all pray for GOD !!!!!!!!!!!
GOD help us and protect us and give us success in this problem (AMMEN)

Hello

No news, I tried many times to get a hold of Anwen. She is not answering the phone or responding email. I am not sure what to do now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello anyone has recent news

[I personally don't have any news & don't understand either what's currently going on. Hoping she is not getting a change of heart, may be she is trying to figure things out, and she would probably get back to us on the commitment so that we could file the complaint and get it over with. We can only pray...
And let us NOT let this forum die away, we should re-energize it one more time until we overcome the n-result of the Suit. ]

Hello everyone

I have a question and would appreciate very much if anyone could provide me with some information. I have to admit that I have got so much information on this site during the past few weeks that I was not able to get it from three attorneys in past 5 or so years. My application for adjustment has been on hold for more than 5 years and I have reached a point that I can not take it anymore. And I do not need to explain the reasons anymore because everyone on this site can feel my pain. My attorney has suggested that I should travel to Canada and reapply for asylum and there might be a possibility that my application would be granted. His suggestion was that I should use the current hold for adjustment of my status here as ground for my application in Canada. So I would like to know if anyone has attempted to reapply in Canada. At this time I find it hard to make a decision. If anyone has information please share it here.

The Canadian bastards won't give you visa and also charge you for Visa application fees plus it will cost you for travel document and waste of time and energy.

Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact I have obtained an entry visa (V-1) to Canada on reentry permit and it is good for next 25 days...and I was told if my current status is valid I probably will be given another entry visa if I require one. They asked if for green card and I showed them I-797C (Notice of Action) I got from USIS many years ago when I filled my application for adjustment of status. I have to find out more before I could make a decision and potentially putting my current asylee status in jeopardy here.

Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact I have obtained an entry visa (V-1) to Canada on reentry permit and it is good for next 25 days...and I was told if my current status is valid I probably will be given another entry visa if I require one. They asked if for green card and I showed them I-797C (Notice of Action) I got from USIS many years ago when I filled my application for adjustment of status. I have to find out more before I could make a decision and potentially putting my current asylee status in jeopardy here.

[MZN, I hope you don't mind me asking. How did you manage to get a re-entry permit, which is for whose with Permanent Resident Card? Since your adjustment of status is on hold.]

when I filed my initial application for adjustment of status to PR I also applied for refugee travel document since we were not required to pay additional application fee for the travel document. I was issued a travel document which was good for one year. I used that document and traveled to southeast Asia for three weeks holidays. And at that time I had no idea that my application was on hold. I was thinking that it was being processed. When I retuned to the US I was stopped at Newark NJ Airport for more than two hours. The immigration officer said that he could not find any information about me in their system. Finally I was admitted into the country and they issued me a new I 94 and they stamped as Asylum granted and there was a mentioned a section of the law in the stamp. Six months ago I did apply for another refugee travel document. I sent with my application the expired travel document, copy of the I 94, copy of the green card application, and the immigration Judge summery decision granting asylum few years earlier. After I submitted the application I got a letter from INS asking me to pay the application fee which I did not send with the application thinking I was still eligible to get a travel document without paying fees since my application for green card was still pending. After paying the fee I was asked to be finger printed in a local INS application service center. and three months after that date I got the reentry permit which is good for two years. My attorney thinks that I was probably issued the reentry permit by mistake. when I inquired about the status of my application for adjustment of status a few weeks ago I was told that it is still on hold. So right now I really do not know what is really happening.

when I filed my initial application for adjustment of status to PR I also applied for refugee travel document since we were not required to pay additional application fee for the travel document. I was issued a travel document which was good for one year. I used that document and traveled to southeast Asia for three weeks holidays. And at that time I had no idea that my application was on hold. I was thinking that it was being processed. When I retuned to the US I was stopped at Newark NJ Airport for more than two hours. The immigration officer said that he could not find any information about me in their system. Finally I was admitted into the country and they issued me a new I 94 and they stamped as Asylum granted and there was a mentioned a section of the law in the stamp. Six months ago I did apply for another refugee travel document. I sent with my application the expired travel document, copy of the I 94, copy of the green card application, and the immigration Judge summery decision granting asylum few years earlier. After I submitted the application I got a letter from INS asking me to pay the application fee which I did not send with the application thinking I was still eligible to get a travel document without paying fees since my application for green card was still pending. After paying the fee I was asked to be finger printed in a local INS application service center. and three months after that date I got the reentry permit which is good for two years. My attorney thinks that I was probably issued the reentry permit by mistake. when I inquired about the status of my application for adjustment of status a few weeks ago I was told that it is still on hold. So right now I really do not know what is really happening.

[Thanks for replying, that's kind.]

Just for your information - The following was what I sent to TRIG inquiry:

"Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:19 PM
To: TRIG Query
Subject: TRIG ONHOLD CASE INQUIRY

I would prefer for the USCIS or the DHS to prosecute me in the court of law at my own expense if there is any honest and credible basis for any one of them to believe or suspect that I pause any threat to the security of the United States of America than to watch myself die slowly and painfully in the extremely unfair and unjust endless wait of the immigration bureaucratic limbo for the last 22 years living and working in this country as an asylee. While I dare to place the blame squarely on the shamefully irresponsible legislative work of the US Congress for the so called Tier III terrorist definitions, which is a syntactic marvel but a semantic disaster, I also dare to blame both the DHS as well as the USCIS for failing to exercise fairness in adjudicating my case despite all the subsequent legal tools made available to them to overcome the legislative overreach that has long been recognized by all honest broad array of independent observers and interested parties and institutions across the nation.

I have resigned to believe that nobody in the adjudicating institution has ever known me or want to know more about me beyond the shadows of the paper and electronic files they rely on to form opinions about me. Why does the USCIS continue to destroy my life by denying me justice that many others have taken for granted even if they could be proven to be less deserving of the benefits they have been afforded than I truly am? Do you really and honestly suspect that I could turn out to be a terrorist sometime in the future? Are you preventing that from happening by holding me captive to a system of unfairness and injustice while allowing me to live and work in the midst of the very country and people you purport to protect from harm? I prefer to think you are more intelligent than that.

Please try to put yourself in my shoe and think of how much harm has already been inflicted on me by your inaction in terms of preventing me from reaching my full potential in every positive sense of the terms. I sought protection against tyranny because I believed and still believe the US is the shining beacon of freedom and a nation of hope for all humanity in the world I have known since my childhood. I wish you would know how much more American I feel than most and how much more I care about its security and continued prosperity than many of those who call themselves US citizens.

Please make your decision whatever you think it should be and let me know sooner than later."

The following is the response I received from the USCIS:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your I-485 application. Your case has been reviewed. Your application is on hold for inadmissibility relating to INA 212(a)(3)(B). According to a review of your file, you were a member of Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Party (EPRP) prior to 1993 (1975-1980). EPRP met the definition of an undesignated (Tier III) terrorist organization prior to Jan. 1, 1993.

On August 10, 2012 an exemption commonly referred to as the Limited General Exemption (LGE) was published in the federal register. Application of this exemption authority requires USCIS to examine whether the affected alien meets certain qualifications. In addition, USCIS must determine whether the terrorist group at issue meets certain qualifications, including whether the group has targeted U.S. interests or persons; engaged in a pattern or practice of torture, genocide or the use of child soldiers; has been identified in either Executive Order 13224, as amended, or otherwise designated by the Secretary of State or the Secretary of the Treasury pursuant to the Specially Designated Nationals List (SDNL); is found on lists established by United Nations Security Council Committee pursuant to Resolutions 1267 (1999) or 1988 (2011) concerning Al-Qaida and the Taliban and associated individuals and entities; or has ever been designated as a Tier I or Tier II terrorist organization as described in sections 212(a)(3)(B)(vi)(I) and (II) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(3)(B)(vi)(I) or (II). USCIS is in the process of conducting research to determine the whether groups associated with cases on hold, such as the EPRP, meet the LGE qualifications. If USCIS determines that EPRP is eligible for consideration under the LGE, your case will be removed from the hold, and USCIS will proceed with adjudication. Until USCIS makes such a determination, your case will remain on hold until a new exemption is issued that would benefit."

We've seen this movie before, haven't we?

Excellent letter

I am just hoping that we will be approved soon I am a member of Eprp cince 1988. Tank you ewdhalu

USCIS-EPRP-Tier III-TRIG Debacle

I am just hoping that we will be approved soon I am a member of Eprp cince 1988. Tank you ewedalehu

We've always been hoping since day one over two decades and, I've reached to a conclusion that nobody in the USCIS cares about the little innocent guys they have been ridding on freely to justify their continued employment and stay relevant in the overall scheme of things.

Uscis- Eprp

Just for information the following was what I send to trig inqiry

I am writing this letter to submit my request on my TRIG case. I am providing this information with regard to withholding of my I-485 by USCIS due to my association with (Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Party) EPRP. EPRP is an Ethiopian opposition party that has been functioning legally in the US for more than 30 years. The party has its head office located in Washington DC metropolitan area and operates a local radio station (1130 AM) broadcasting on weekends to the Washington DC Ethiopian diaspora community about the political developments in Ethiopia.
The US government provided the party the necessary permit to open office, recruit members and also raise funds for the party’s political activities in Ethiopia. In fact most members and leaders of the EPRP were lifted by the US government from Sudan in the 1980s and came to the US, by which their status have been adjusted to US citizenship.
Since 1988 I was associated with the party and all the activities I have been involved were and has been peaceful and legal. The party was also functioning peacefully in Ethiopian and the US. I personally never committed any crime or fellow. I have never been arrested or charged for any crimes of offenses since my arrival in the US on May 18, 2002. I have also been liable in paying my US taxes regularly and on time. Besides my wife and my children are now US citizens. Therefore, It is unfair and unreasonable for the USCIS to hold my application for adjustment of status for this long, on unfounded ground.
I therefore kindly ask your good office to look in to my case and apply the TRIG exemption to my case and grant me my permanent residency status.

Best Regards

You've done a grate job and have provided a crucial set of valuable information to use and help them make a determination if they ever start to think clearly and outside the box! Thank you very much for enlightening me as well! Keep up the pressure by also following up through your senators and congressmen (congresswomen), as well as the White House.

Yes lets work together we definitely can solve this problem. We have done nothing wrong to be treated like a prisoner.

Hey what's going on guys. We have been waiting Anwen Hughes' initiative to file a class action, is there any body who could give us an update especially " Deep Trigger", don't you guys think it is long due?. Please comment on it.

Wish you all peace!!!

Just for information the following was what I send to trig inqiry

I am writing this letter to submit my request on my TRIG case. I am providing this information with regard to withholding of my I-485 by USCIS due to my association with (Ethiopian Peoples Revolutionary Party) EPRP. EPRP is an Ethiopian opposition party that has been functioning legally in the US for more than 30 years. The party has its head office located in Washington DC metropolitan area and operates a local radio station (1130 AM) broadcasting on weekends to the Washington DC Ethiopian diaspora community about the political developments in Ethiopia.
The US government provided the party the necessary permit to open office, recruit members and also raise funds for the party’s political activities in Ethiopia. In fact most members and leaders of the EPRP were lifted by the US government from Sudan in the 1980s and came to the US, by which their status have been adjusted to US citizenship.
Since 1988 I was associated with the party and all the activities I have been involved were and has been peaceful and legal. The party was also functioning peacefully in Ethiopian and the US. I personally never committed any crime or fellow. I have never been arrested or charged for any crimes of offenses since my arrival in the US on May 18, 2002. I have also been liable in paying my US taxes regularly and on time. Besides my wife and my children are now US citizens. Therefore, It is unfair and unreasonable for the USCIS to hold my application for adjustment of status for this long, on unfounded ground.
I therefore kindly ask your good office to look in to my case and apply the TRIG exemption to my case and grant me my permanent residency status.

Best Regards

Hi! thank you for your post,I personally share your idea and emotion, Please post their response too,when or if you get it. Thanks again.