I am going to a congressman

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
I am sick of this crap. Its not fair that some applications are approved and some aren't. I have decided to try a congressman by Monday if nothing comes by then. I mean I have been looking on other boards, and once you submit RFE, the answer should be in less than 20 days....Its not fair that we all are waiting for more than 20 days for a response from the bastards

wantmygcnow said:
I am sick of this crap. Its not fair that some applications are approved and some aren't. I have decided to try a congressman by Monday if nothing comes by then. I mean I have been looking on other boards, and once you submit RFE, the answer should be in less than 20 days....Its not fair that we all are waiting for more than 20 days for a response from the bastards

I don't mean to disappoint you but I have tried that. This is going to happen.

1. You call congressman's office. They have an assigned staff member for immigration cases

2. He will ask you to fill out a form and submit your case information

3. They submit it to special liasion office of nebraska service center.
(Now beware; they have thousands of inquiries already)

4. He will tell you to wait until congrasmman's office hears from nebraska

5. He hears from nebraska and wow.... the most current information is that they are processing march 2000 cases.

6. .. you try to convince staff memeber that they are processing 2002 cases. He does not listen. He politely says that they have done their job

7. .. Insist on meeting with congresman and he is busy. He is more concerned about US citizens not rat-ass asylees... It will 6 months to tell you story to congressman..

Have a nice day! Goodbye

It really depends on your luck. Some congressmen are very helpful, some are OK and some are decidely unhelpful.

Jesse Helms went to bat for people regarding immigration casework. His staff was in many respect better than some attorneys in getting the INS moving.

Lazerthegreat said:
I don't mean to disappoint you but I have tried that. This is going to happen.

1. You call congressman's office. They have an assigned staff member for immigration cases

2. He will ask you to fill out a form and submit your case information

3. They submit it to special liasion office of nebraska service center.
(Now beware; they have thousands of inquiries already)

4. He will tell you to wait until congrasmman's office hears from nebraska

5. He hears from nebraska and wow.... the most current information is that they are processing march 2000 cases.

6. .. you try to convince staff memeber that they are processing 2002 cases. He does not listen. He politely says that they have done their job

7. .. Insist on meeting with congresman and he is busy. He is more concerned about US citizens not rat-ass asylees... It will 6 months to tell you story to congressman..

Have a nice day! Goodbye

Want,

Lazer might be right on this. An asylee has the lowest precedence for any US politician, because when we become citizens in the future, they will probably be dying.

My suggestion may sound nonsense, but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot: thinking of my case may make you feel little bit better.

Best wish to you, brother.

did you get approved?

wantmygcnow said:

Haven't you gone to congressman? heard any piece of news?
What can we do right now? or just waiting?
I am going crazy now, i check my email 20 more time everyday.

Hey thankful,

I have had a lot of help from my congresswoman's office. Of course you don't get to meet with the congressman, but they have their constituent representatives.

If you are trying to get the cis moving on a big scale for asylees, through your congressman, it is hard. But if you have a specific question or problem regarding your case, you will get an answer.

My experience has been that the congressman's office can get things done. Many people from my community have done it successfully. I have gotten one of my distant relatives a visitor visa through my congresswoman's office (if some needs specifics on that i will gladly explain).

But do give it a try, it is true that some offices are more helpful than others.

I usually just walk in (the constituent reps know me by now, but some offices require an appointment), meet with the rep, ask my question, they call their liason officers at cis, and i get an answer(or they send me a letter with an answer), and then it's time for small talk. For me, they have been much more helpful than the local cis io's.

It is totally worth a try.

Good luck and keep us posted.

AR

Last edited by a moderator: