I am a GC holder and would like to bring my parents to live in the US... how?

steve-o

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I am a GC holder, living with my wife (also a GC holder) and my son (US Citizen). I know that I cannot apply for my parents' GC until I am a US citizen, however, they are old, and would like to retire in the US... What would be the best way for them to stay with me? We do not have any financial issues since I have a good job, and my father is retiring from his job, so he is willing to invest his retirement money in the US.

Plz let me know what I could do...

There is not any way you could.

You MUST wait until you can sponsor them as a USC, just like everybody else.

If they must live with you, then you can go back to their country and spend time with them.

EB-5 (GC through investment route) is an option that you can examine. The process takes about an year and your parents can get a 2 year GC which can then be converted to a permanent one on showing that the investment exists even after two years. One caveat: In the normal course this would be a useful route. However, with the world and particularly the USA going thru a recession, please ascertain the safety of your investment before committing hard earned money.

Thanks guys for your inputs. It is greatly appreciated.

I agree with korman, now is not a really good time to invest retirement money in the US (especially since they are not currently living there or maintaining a permanent residency).

They currently have a 10 year visit visa to the US, what would be the maximum duration of their stay at any time interval? Is it 1 month? or what i've heard is that it is 6 months. After this period is over, how long do they need to remain outside the US in order to be admitted again?

Is the amount still $1,000,000 minimum?

It is still 1 million, however, there are a LOT of "ifs and buts". You can't just toss a bag of $$ over and expect to be handed a GC.

for example:
To qualify in the EB5 category, the investment must create full-time employment for at least 10 US citizens, lawful permanent residents, or other immigrants lawfully authorized to be employed in the United States. While an investor may employ his family members in the new enterprise, the spouse and children do not count toward the 10-employee minimum. Employee means an individual who provides services or labor for the new commercial enterprise and who receives wages or other remuneration directly from the new commercial enterprise. This definition does not include independent contractors. Full-time employment means employment of a qualifying employee by the new commercial enterprise in a position that requires a minimum of 35 working hours per week.
from here

Look into American Life, they have done over 30 projects in Seattle Washington, in conjunction with the USCIS.

An investment with them is 500k for a 2 year conditional GC. You apply after 21 months to have the conditions lifted and it relies upon the investment remaining in the project for 2 years and 10 full times jobs having been created, although you have no control over that. Then you get your full GC.
We are in the Marriot Courtyard project and had our visa approved 6 weeks ago.
EB5 is known as a fast track visa and is the quickest way to get one. Takes about a year.
Good luck.

They currently have a 10 year visit visa to the US, what would be the maximum duration of their stay at any time interval? Is it 1 month? or what i've heard is that it is 6 months. After this period is over, how long do they need to remain outside the US in order to be admitted again?
6 months if POE officer writes it so on I-94.

Regarding EB5, nowadays it is very easy to get 10 employees, however, getting customers and running business for 2 years is pretty difficult, unless the business is in the sector where the economy does not play much.

Last edited by a moderator:
For an EB5 it is generally that you join a limited partnership created for a specific project. The General Partners do all the work, all you do is put in your $$$$ and hire an attorney to do the paperwork. The jobs are created as part of the deal and there is no actual running of a company to do. Its all done for you and you have no say. Your 500k has to remain in the project for the 2 years and once you have your GC you are free to keep your share or sell it on.