I-94 after green card approval

sywang71

I have recently been given a green card by mail and traveled overseas last week. However, my I-94 was not collected at the airport when departing since I had my green card. When returning, the immigration officer noticed that my I-94 was still in my passport and instructed me to mail it out to one of their offices since it should have been collected and could be a problem in the future. My question is, once the green card is approved, does my I-94 become suspended and if so, is it a standard procedure to have them mailed out to USCIS? I am curious to know since my wife was also granted permanent status and would like to know if we should also mail out her I-94 to USCIS, or if it should be surrendered at the airport upon departure. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I-94's are normally retained at the time of I551 stamping by USCIS Officer,
apart from retaining them at the Airports while on visas.

Since you got your GC w/o stamping, I think the "retaining" part didn't
happen and that's why your I94 wasn't retained at the Airport.

If I were you, I would mail the I94 to the address mentioned by the Immigration Officer.

Also, in your wife's case, if she goes to stamping then her I94 will be retained if not, try to pass on the I94 while leaving the US.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//
ps: I am not an attorney and not planning to be one. Consulting a competent attorney will be a smart thing to do..

sywang71 said:
I have recently been given a green card by mail and traveled overseas last week. However, my I-94 was not collected at the airport when departing since I had my green card. When returning, the immigration officer noticed that my I-94 was still in my passport and instructed me to mail it out to one of their offices since it should have been collected and could be a problem in the future. My question is, once the green card is approved, does my I-94 become suspended and if so, is it a standard procedure to have them mailed out to USCIS? I am curious to know since my wife was also granted permanent status and would like to know if we should also mail out her I-94 to USCIS, or if it should be surrendered at the airport upon departure. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
write a cover letter and inform them that you became US permanent Resident or green Card hoder on date...... ( date is on your Card) write your details like A#, name, DOB, passport # Citizenship and attach the copy of your green card and inform that your I-94 was not taken and what was told by immigration officer at POE .....and mail the I-94 to the address:

ACS Inc.
1084 South Laurel Road
London, Kentucky 40744
USA

read the below link:

http://www.ccusa.com/pdf/INS Departure.pdf

http://www.usembassy.dk/Visas/FAQ/OtherIssues.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case I-94 is expired but was in status because of 485 waiting. Now what happens when I travel will they consider I over stayed?

nrsesh said:
In my case I-94 is expired but was in status because of 485 waiting. Now what happens when I travel will they consider I over stayed?

No, your pending I-485 kept you in legal status.

nrsesh said:

hope you had an EAD to work after your I-94 expired. Otherwise that would be a problem.

Apollo_13 said:
hope you had an EAD to work after your I-94 expired. Otherwise that would be a problem.
No. EAD (Employment Authorization Document) is not necessary for maintaining one's status. It is pending I485 that keeps a person in status. EAD authorizes employment for waiting people.

Now, if you travel, you should have advanced parole. If you do not have AP when you depart your I485 application will be deemed abandoned.

eltoro said:
Now, if you travel, you should have advanced parole. If you do not have AP when you depart your I485 application will be deemed abandoned.

Not necessarily, if you are re-entering in H or L status.

eltoro said:
No. EAD (Employment Authorization Document) is not necessary for maintaining one's status. It is pending I485 that keeps a person in status. EAD authorizes employment for waiting people.

Please read my earlier post once again...

I didn't say EAD is required to maintain one's legal status here. But EAD is required to WORK in US if your visa/I-94 has expired.

Sywang71: When you left the US the last time, how did the airline agent at check in know that you have a green card? Did you volunteer this information.

Thanks all for good advice. When I left the U.S., I submitted both my I-94 and green card to the airline employee since I wasn't sure which was necessary to document my departure. Since I had a green card, she automatically assumed my I-94 was not necessary. I guess my I-94 should have been detained by the airline.