I-551 in an expired foreign passport

elfin

My mom arrived to the US on January 11, 2019 with the immigrant visa I-155. She couldn't stay for longer than a month to receive the actual Green Card, and went back. Meanwhile, her foreign passport expired (whereas the visa itself is valid till December this year). She got a new foreign passport, while the stamped visa is in the old one. It's been 2 months already since she made her initial entry, but the GC is not here (I read that usually it takes up to 6 weeks to receive the actual card). My question: is the visa inside the old passport valid to come to the US, in case she won't receive her GC anytime soon?

Another question: we filled out the application electronically. She was told that this way she will receive her SS card without going to the SS office. It never happened and we went there. They said that my mom wasn't even in the system. Does it mean that something went wrong in the boarder control (she was checked for long hours as her two fingers are broken and she couldn't make the finger prints properly), and they didn't put her mistakenly to the system to issue the CG?... Is it possible?...

Your mom’s IV upon endorsement at the POE on her arrival became an I-551 which is valid for travel in place of the plastic GC for one year from the date of endorsement.

Did you make the $220 GC payment after your mom entered the US?

Your mom’s IV upon endorsement at the POE on her arrival became an I-551 which is valid for travel in place of the plastic GC for one year from the date of endorsement.

She payed the $220 more than a month before she entered to the US. That's why the situation looks weird for me...

Forgot to say THANK YOU for your answer. So what you say is that she needs to hold two passports in the passport control: her old one with the I-551 and her valid new one. It won't make the officers to turn her around?

She payed the $220 more than a month before she entered to the US. That's why the situation looks weird for me...

Okay. Card production was only triggered after she entered the US regardless of payment being made before arrival. It is not unusual for the GC to take about 3 to 4 months before it shows up, give it some time.

Forgot to say THANK YOU for your answer. So what you say is that she needs to hold two passports in the passport control: her old one with the I-551 and her valid new one. It won't make the officers to turn her around?

Yes, that is correct.