Dallas, TX 75266

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: H4
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Thanks.

C'mon. Do you need someone to hold your hand to cross the street?
You read. You write.

Nelsona,

I know it seems very simple question to ask and which can be googled. I did the research before asking this and checked the instructions form for i 539 and under various filing addresses, there was no specific mention of TN1 and the only filing category was ' Other visas' which it can fit in. I hope you understand that due to minor error/mistake and sending to wrong address, I don't want to be out of status and thats why asked just to be sure of it.

Thanks.

Well, that is not the purpose of this forum. If you are not able to fulfill this simple requirement, then maybe you deserve to go out of status.

call it natural selection...

Thanks for kind words. I thought the purpose of the firm is to provide information to each other which some one can't find from its own resources. Anyways I will send it to Dallas address.

Instead of writing these kind words, you could have just written ' Yes' and that would have been the end of thread. Not everyone has your kind of knowledge or information.

As someone here succinctly put it (Mister I believe): "No one is more interested in your immigration issues than you".
I'm not going to waste 'my kind of knowledge' on looking up simple information that you already have.

Do you really think "the purpose" of this forum is to double-check minor things like that? Which isn't even a TN issue, btw?

Answer: It isn't.

Yes, I hope you will need more information in very near future, as it will mean you have secured a new TN job!
All the best.

Hi Nelsona,

Just to prepare for the worst, how many days do I get to leave the country in case i539 COS is denied but i 94 date is not expired.

The I-539 denial slip will give you how long you have to leave, which will, in my opinion, supersede any I-94, as this removes the "at the permission of the state" that was implied by I-94 in a status which is no longer met.

But don't expect any decision on your I-539 for many months, in which case you will probably have left US or found a new job.

The I-539 denial slip will give you how long you have to leave, which will, in my opinion, supersede any I-94, as this removes the "at the permission of the state" that was implied by I-94 in a status which is no longer met.
No it doesn't. A pending or denied application does not affect your status. Only if you otherwise violated your status would you be out of status.

Not quite. If one does nothing with the I-94, then one is in legal status (but out-of-status) until that date, since one has not been asked to leave. However, by asking, on the basis of the I-94 to change or extend status, and thereafter being denied that status and told to leave, that supersedes the I-94 expiry date, since he no longer in a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General”, since the denial removed that authorization.

How many days do you get to leave the country from the COS denial date( out of status) ? If immediate/ same day, then it means to check the status online everyday because the paper mail takes few days to arrive?

Last edited:
Not quite. If one does nothing with the I-94, then one is in legal status (but out-of-status) until that date, since one has not been asked to leave. However, by asking, on the basis of the I-94 to change or extend status, and thereafter being denied that status and told to leave, that supersedes the I-94 expiry date, since he no longer in a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General”, since the denial removed that authorization.
I see. You are talking about the definition of "unlawful presence" for the purposes of the 3-year/10-year bans, where staying past the date on your I-94 is the usual way that one starts accruing "unlawful presence", but if you applied for a benefit to USCIS and you were denied and they made a determination that you were out of status as part of the denial, then you also start accruing "unlawful presence". So you are correct in that a denial would lead to one to immediately start accruing "unlawful presence", assuming that they made a determination that you are out of status as part of the denial, whereas without applying for change of status, they would not start accruing "unlawful presence" until the date on their I-94, though they would be out of status and deportable in both cases assuming the 60 days has ended.

How many days do you get to leave the country from the COS denial date( out of status) ? If immediate/ same day, then it means to check the status online everyday because the paper mail takes few days to arrive?
Technically, there are no days. If you are already out of status and you don't have a pending application, you are deportable. So, yes, by the time you receive the denial notice, you would already have been deportable for a few days.

I-539s take SEVERAL months for approval or denial. Even a request for a 6 month B2 will not be processed by the end of the six months, so DO NOT wait for approval before leaving. The purpose of the B2 petition (not the approval) is to keep you in status while you pack up and/or find a new job, giving you the choice if you do find a job, to file I-129 rather than go to border. After about 3 months of looking, you should be packing and have left by the time the requested 6-months are up, and begin collecting UI when back in Canada.