I-485 is Filled but not AP and EAD - Can I apply it later

ArrowMan

Registered Users (C)
I-485 is filled but not AP and EAD, because my employer didn't want to. Can I apply it later. If yes than how? Please Advice.
Thanks
Arrow

I-485 is filled but not AP and EAD, because my employer didn't want to. Can I apply it later. If yes than how? Please Advice.
Thanks
Arrow

Wait until you get the receipt notice of the I485. Then you can apply on your own or using a seperate attorney.

Thanks
Arrow

Your employer probably didn't want to pay for that if he is paying for you GC processing. You don't even need an attorney for that. As number30 said you can file anytime once you have your receipt number all the forms are available online you can download. Let me know if you need any help.

Good Luck,

Thanks Mano4GC and mmed.
Mano4GC,
I am paying for my GC, he let me apply my wife's EAD. I think the reason he didn't apply was that he wanted to keep more control. He is scared if I get EAD, I can leave(even though I am planing to stay until I get my GC). The lawyer is his. I am not sure if I'll get receipt of for 485 filing because if that lawyer gets it, he'll never give it to me.
Thanks
Arrow

485 receipt

Thanks Mano4GC and mmed.
Mano4GC,
I am paying for my GC, he let me apply my wife's EAD. I think the reason he didn't apply was that he wanted to keep more control. He is scared if I get EAD, I can leave(even though I am planing to stay until I get my GC). The lawyer is his. I am not sure if I'll get receipt of for 485 filing because if that lawyer gets it, he'll never give it to me.
Thanks
Arrow

The 485 receipt belongs to you only. If he does not want give it to you. Tell your lawyer that you need it for your Driver's license. That is what I did to get mine, now they can not do anything about.

I also did not file for EAD when I filed 485. I did it last month on my own, piece of cake to file it.

ArrowMan

Since you are paying for your GC. This what you do: You will write checks to USCIS for Fingerprints and for I-485 (I-131; I-765 if needed). Track with your bank when these checks are cashed, if you have online banking you can view these checks if not ask your bank to give you copies of these checks, on the back of these check are you case numbers, NO NEED to BOTHER with lawyer and employer from that point you can track your case without dealing with them.

Take care,

Mano

Since you are paying for your GC. This what you do: You will write checks to USCIS for Fingerprints and for I-485 (I-131; I-765 if needed). Track with your bank when these checks are cashed, if you have online banking you can view these checks if not ask your bank to give you copies of these checks, on the back of these check are you case numbers, NO NEED to BOTHER with lawyer and employer from that point you can track your case without dealing with them.

Take care,

Mano

That is fine, but he need a copy of the actual receipt to include it with the EAD/AP application, not just the number.

That is fine, but he need a copy of the actual receipt to include it with the EAD/AP application, not just the number.

I don't believe that the actual receipt is critical. If you have it by all means submit a copy, but all USCIS is going to do is use it to look up the case number for the I-485 itself. If all you have is the case number, that should be sufficient to demonstrate eligibility.

485 filed got the recipt/tracking number

Hi All,
I have the numbers 485 receipt written back of my checks now I want to apply for my EAD. I am confused my$85 application went to TSC went to and the I-765 form says if you are form california mail you I-765 application to Laguna Niguel, CA. Please advice.
Thanks
ArrowM

Hi All,
I have the numbers 485 receipt written back of my checks now I want to apply for my EAD. I am confused my$85 application went to TSC went to and the I-765 form says if you are form california mail you I-765 application to Laguna Niguel, CA. Please advice.
Thanks
ArrowM

EAD and AP are now-a-days filed in the center where your 485 was filed. Due to bispecialization, only TSC and NSC accepts 485. so if your 485 went to TSC your ead/ap should be applied in TSC. If you are in doubt, just apply both EAD and AP electronically and it will tell you where to send the supporting information. As others in the forum have suggested, ead/ap are pretty easy to apply and you can do it yourself without any lawyer. I usually send 2 recent photos, I485 copy, I140 copy, copies of past ead and mailer (if available), passport copy and attach the electronically generated receipt as coverpage for my electronic EAD/AP applications.
Good luck

Thanks gslvc1. I know how to apply by mail could please send me the link or guide me on the process of electronic application of EAD and AP.
Thanks
AM

Double Finger prints

Guys,
I went ahead and applied I-765 on my own, I filed it electronically, but the funny thing is last week we went there and gave our finger prints for I-485 and this week I got finger print notice for I-765. My question is do I need separate finger printing for I-485 and I-765 if applied separately.The only reason I am asking is that I am traveling on the appoint date but I am traveling on that day, even though I have put a request for rescheduling the appointment. I wonder if this can hurt me? Please advice
Thanks
Arrow

Last edited by a moderator: