I-131 Re-Entry Permit and Finger Printing

Re-entry permit: urgent

Hi thanks for the info,
This new procedure came just in time then. We are planning on leaving May 1st, 2008. Do you think it is possible to get the biometrics done before May 1st?

To get the Biometrics appointment in time, would e-filing be faster than mailing the application overnight with EXPEDITE notation on it?

Actually you could schedule the finger print in any ebmassy of your choice. Read it somewhere, but better recheck.

I'm in the same boat.. I'm leaving on May 20 and want to apply for RP. I know I cant use online filing. My queries are:

Would I be able to get an appointment before May 20?
Can I re-schedule my biometric apt. outside of US?
Can somehow one get a wavier from biometric?
Does anyone know how soon one gets an apt. after filing the case?
Is there any advantage in using the expediate processing?
When I send the filled app, should I send $305 or $305+$80?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I had applied for Re-entry permit on paper form. got the receipt but no finger print schedule yet!

Applied for RP with an expedite request on 04/02. Included express mailers. But received receipt notice by regular mail on 04/07. Waiting for fingerprinting notice.
Srika/sanliergun, did you receive your appointment letter?

Got FP

USCIS received my application for reentry permit on March 25th
Received FP notice on April 3rd for April 11th
Did finger print on April 11.
Surprisingly very fast. I didn't use expedite service. We are leaving end of May.

Last edited by a moderator:
SRIK75 and SRIKA did you get fingerprinting notice? I am travelling the last week of April, 2008 in USA, and i would stay for only 15 days as i found a very cheap ticket, not flexible. I will apply also for the reentry permit. If i do expediate reentry permit can i get fingerprinting in time. Can you please post your experience and dates of the application for the reentry permit and fingerprinting as it will be very usefull to know.

Did you give the US address OR home country consulate address? Please let me know.
Received my application for reentry permit on March 25th by USCIS

Received FP notice on April 3th for April 11th

Did finger print on April 11.

Surprisingly very fast. I didn't use expedite service. We are leaving end of May.

I applied via lawyer around 4/1/08 for re-entry permit with expedite request.
Got reciept dated 4/3/08, waiting for biometrics apointment still. Its 12 days since I got reciept. Want to leave first week of May.

I m planning to apply for Re Entry Permit. What do you put in the Expedite Request - does it require any specific explanation? or do I just put "Expedite" on the envelope and include 3 envelopes? (1 for notice, 1 for fingerprint notice, 1 for delivery of REP?

Re-entry permit and fingerprints

I am applying for a Reentry Permit.

Does anyone knows if it is possible to do fingerprinting
in a US consulate abroad?

If one choices the option to pick up RP at a consulate,
would fingerprints be done at this consulate as well?

Unfortunately, the fingerprinting has to be done while you are in the US before your trip abroad. Then you can receive your RP at a consulate abroad, but as of this date, fingerprinting has to be done in the US.

If one choices the option to pick up RP at a consulate,
would fingerprints be done at this consulate as well?

Thanks for the answer.

I just called USCIS 800-number and got a different answer.
I don't have to wait for a fingerprint appointment and
will have to do it at the US embassy abroad.

Maybe, the lady on the phone doesn't know what she is talking about,
but she was very confident, and I asked several times.

Does anybody have more info?

From Form I-131 instructions:

If you are between age 14 through 79 and you are applying for a Refugee Travel Document or Re-entry Permit, you must be fingerprinted as part of USCIS biometric services requirements. After you have filed this application, USCIS will notify you in writing of the time and location where you must go to be fingerprinted. If necessary, USCIS may also take your photograph and signature. Failure to appear to be fingerprinted or for other biometric services may result in a denial of your application

and further,

Departure from the United States before a decision is made on an application for a Re-entry Permit usually does not affect the application. However, where biometric collection is required and the applicant departs the United States before the biometrics are collected, the application may be denied (bold emphasis in original).

Note that it says "...the application may be denied..." This seems to suggest that USCIS does not automatically deny all applications where the petitioner does not show up for fingerprinting; but are you willing to take the chance?

Thanks for the answer.

I just called USCIS 800-number and got a different answer.
I don't have to wait for a fingerprint appointment and
will have to do it at the US embassy abroad.

Maybe, the lady on the phone doesn't know what she is talking about,
but she was very confident, and I asked several times.

Does anybody have more info?

I called the USCIS 800-number again, and now I was told that
fingerprints have to be done while in US.
Apparantly, they don't even know what their own procedures are.
I wonder what they would say if I call 3rd time :)

Thanks for the quick replies. It was very helpful.

I guess this makes it very difficult & uncertain to plan for any trip to the US for REP filing purposes for those who have been out for a few years.