I-130 vs waiting for Citizinship

honey_please

Registered Users (C)
I spoke to a lawyer today - was asking him how can I bring my wife to US.

His reply was that there is no use of filing I-130 as before it'll be approved you'll get your Citizinship :confused:

He suggested to find a job for her and bring her over on H1.

yes, there is a very good reason to file I-130 even before you get citizenship. The earlier you file, the sooner it will be approved. Then you will just upgrade it.

In a rare case when you are not able to apply for or get citizenship, it will also come in handy, because the wife will still get the visa number after about 5 years.

You can still bring her over on H1 in either case.

upgrading case

i do not recommend u to apply now wait for ur citizenship b/c i am this situation right now;i applied for my husband last year(2004) when i was a permanent resident now just became a usc so i sent a copy of my certificate to CIS b/c i130 is not approved yet just received a letter from vermont service center state;we upgrade ur petition from LPR to USC but we have backlog problem allow us 60 more days for approval .it is been 55 days already so another 60 days means 115 days or could be more.
my advice is wait for ur citizenship.it is all up to u.
try to bring her over on h1 visa

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the reply :)

I'm trying to get Job/H1 for her. She got MS Degree (equivalent to 4 yrs USA-BS) from india. She has only one years of experience - no one is willing to offer her a job - they say she does not qualify for H1 :(

Can I file I-130 from a different Service Center than where I belong to?

Thanks!

honey_please said:
Thanks all for the reply :)

I'm trying to get Job/H1 for her. She got MS Degree (equivalent to 4 yrs USA-BS) from india. She has only one years of experience - no one is willing to offer her a job - they say she does not qualify for H1 :(

Can I file I-130 from a different Service Center than where I belong to?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. You have to apply at the Service Center that indicates the form. But I don't understand why you want to apply to a different SC her I-130?

good luck,

cherr1980 said:
Unfortunately, no. You have to apply at the Service Center that indicates the form. But I don't understand why you want to apply to a different SC her I-130?

good luck,

I heard California Service Center is processing I-130 very fast :confused:

honey_please said:

How fast the I-130 is approved is of almost zero relevance, considering that the priority date will take 5 years to become current. If the Service Center approves the petition in 30 days, 30 week or 30 months - the result is the same.

You wait for the PD to become current.

honey_please said:

Including your lawyer, so many people here saying that filing I130 as a GC holder won't benifit you. Why don't you understand?
Its good that you want her here ASAP but there is nothing that you can do.

they go by priority date

once your i-130 is approved the NVC is going to release a visa number for you when your priority date become current . It took me 4 years for my i-130 to be approved after 2 months my priority date became current . then i started with the whole important thing (i-485 & i-765 ) before that they couldn`t do anything for me nor grant me any benefits till i filed the i-485 .