I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing.

That's impressive wait time! well, since your father sent out the I-130 when he was a US citizen it is incredible that he is still waiting for an approval. So with that said, HE need to call USCIS here is the link to the contact http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/contact-us/national-customer-service-center he should have received the Notice of Action after a month from the date he mailed out the I-130 petition. On that Notice of action, he was given a case number, that is the number he needs to check the status of his application. Do that immediately! it is the only wait to see what is going on! and you notify them of the dates! that it's been 42 months in process and that's just plain crazy!!!
Good Luck!!

According to the processing timelines for the California Service Center they were processing I-130 for Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 of US Citizens that were filed on May 28, 2010 on November 30, 2013.

Again since you are in a family preference category where only a certain number of visas are available every year, there is no rush to process your I-130. The best to do is follow the Visa Bulletin issued by the State Department and then once your preference category gets close to your I-130 filing date then I think you should start worrying. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

According to the processing timelines for the California Service Center they were processing I-130 for Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 of US Citizens that were filed on May 28, 2010 on November 30, 2013.

Again since you are in a family preference category where only a certain number of visas are available every year, there is no rush to process your I-130. The best to do is follow the Visa Bulletin issued by the State Department and then once your preference category gets close to your I-130 filing date then I think you should start worrying. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

It is still CRAZY!!! how can my mother (56) years old be classified under immediate family member and not my son (21) how insane are the tables huh? I can understand a brother as being in the last family classification, but a "SON"??? no matter his age, he is still immediate family member! just my opinion.

My parent's I 130 got approved last week. We are doing Consular Processing.

Looks like I need to wait for NVC to assign a Case # and send me communication for the same.

In the mean time, I have a few Qs:

1. Would I need to submit ORIGINAL documents (Marriage certificate for parents, Birth certificate etc) to NVC? or a copy is good enough and my parents can take the ORIGINALS with them at the Interview in consulate in India.

2. What can I do in the mean time as I am waiting for the communication from NVC? Should I prepare my I 864 Affidavit of Support Application?

Would appreciate a reply from folks who have recently gone thru the process.
Thanks
S

1. Copies are sufficient now, originals needed at the time of interview.

2. NVC will contact you for Affidavit of Support. You don't need to prepare anything now.

1. Copies are sufficient now, originals needed at the time of interview.

2. NVC will contact you for Affidavit of Support. You don't need to prepare anything now.

I thought that NVC wanted the originals and a copy when requested and the file would be transferred to the consulate where the interview would take place, and the originals would be returned to the applicant at the time of the interview. http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...uments/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

USC petitioning for Adult Child Here on Tourist Visa: Can child remain here?

Hello:

Here is the situation:

USC has an adult child, age 39 & not married, who also has a 14 year old daughter (USC's grandchild). The adult child is here on a tourist visa which expires in May.

USC wants to peition for her adult child BUT can he remain in the USA while the paperwork is done? He is from Costa Rica.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JLR

Hello:

Here is the situation:

USC has an adult child, age 39 & not married, who also has a 14 year old daughter (USC's grandchild). The adult child is here on a tourist visa which expires in May.

USC wants to peition for her adult child BUT can he remain in the USA while the paperwork is done? He is from Costa Rica.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JLR

Simple answer: NO!

For unmarried children of a US Citizen that are over the age of 21 they are classified as Family Preference 1 category. There is only a certain number of visas allowed in that category. According to the Visa Bulletin those who can get visas now are the ones who have an I-130 priority date of Jan 2007. Once a I-130 is filed then the priority date is set based on the filing date of the I-130. So currently there is about a seven year wait. Unless the applicant can get legal authorization to stay here for seven years, they can't.

The visa bulletin can be found at: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

I thought that NVC wanted the originals and a copy when requested and the file would be transferred to the consulate where the interview would take place, and the originals would be returned to the applicant at the time of the interview. http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...uments/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

They require CERTIFIED COPIES with the seal and all!!! so don't be sending any "photocopies" because they won't take that! you must send the Originals or the Certified Copies. Certified copies are the actual documents you get from the court house in your country, not one you have signed by just anyone! Watch out or you will be stuck going back and forth with NVC for this stuff. Good luck!
"

Need advice:

Received text message today that my parents case (CP) was finally approved today (filed in April 2013). Also checked online, and it shows as approval date of 2/7/14. I understand that we need to wait for NVC letter before next steps, but can someone please tell what to expect so I am prepared.

I have done some reading and working on getting the documents over the last couple of months. Please let me know if I need to gather anything else while I wait to hear from NVC.

I already have Choice of Agent form (signed by parents), their Birth certificates (and non-availability), marriage certificate, Police clearance certificate (recent). I will work on I-864 (and I-864A) form now. Anything else I can do in the meanwhile?

Looks like we will need to send the originals for all the documents that will be returned at the time of interview, correct?

Someone also mentioned that we should get past 3 years of tax returns (or transcripts) from IRS. I think this is a good idea to submit with I-864 (though not sure if it is needed). Does anyone know how to order these transcripts? I did order the transcript for my citizenship last year, but cant find the website now.

Thanks.

Need advice:

Received text message today that my parents case (CP) was finally approved today (filed in April 2013). Also checked online, and it shows as approval date of 2/7/14. I understand that we need to wait for NVC letter before next steps, but can someone please tell what to expect so I am prepared.

I have done some reading and working on getting the documents over the last couple of months. Please let me know if I need to gather anything else while I wait to hear from NVC.

I already have Choice of Agent form (signed by parents), their Birth certificates (and non-availability), marriage certificate, Police clearance certificate (recent). I will work on I-864 (and I-864A) form now. Anything else I can do in the meanwhile?

Looks like we will need to send the originals for all the documents that will be returned at the time of interview, correct?

Someone also mentioned that we should get past 3 years of tax returns (or transcripts) from IRS. I think this is a good idea to submit with I-864 (though not sure if it is needed). Does anyone know how to order these transcripts? I did order the transcript for my citizenship last year, but cant find the website now.

Thanks.

Congrats on the I-130 approval! May I ask when in April 2013 you filed, and was your I-130 transferred from NBC to another service center? My wife filed for her parents in early June 2013 and it was transferred from NBC to the Nebraska Service Center in December.

NVC will now tell you that it can take up to 8 weeks for the information to be transferred to NVC and a case number given. You might want to wait at least a week and call NVC and provide them with your I-130 USCIS receipt number and if they have the information and a case number they will give it to you. When the customer service agent at NVC provides you with the NVC case number you can ask about getting email correspondence from them instead of paper. You might want to review this link that has a flowchart of the immigrant visa application process: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process.html Also, I don't know where you got the Choice of Agent form because it needs to be done online DS-261 which can only be access with a NVC case number.

In regards to tax transcripts from the IRS go to this link: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Thanks for the reply, dhulnar. I think I filed I-130 in mid-April (sorry dont have the paperwork with me here). Case was transferred to another service center sometime in Dec, and the letter mentioned about 8 weeks to hear anything. I will check the paperwork at home and update which service center it was.

I got the choice of agent form online (it was couple of months ago), so dont know if it is still good or not. Lets see what NVC has to say.

Edit: It was transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

Congrats on the I-130 approval! May I ask when in April 2013 you filed, and was your I-130 transferred from NBC to another service center? My wife filed for her parents in early June 2013 and it was transferred from NBC to the Nebraska Service Center in December.

NVC will now tell you that it can take up to 8 weeks for the information to be transferred to NVC and a case number given. You might want to wait at least a week and call NVC and provide them with your I-130 USCIS receipt number and if they have the information and a case number they will give it to you. When the customer service agent at NVC provides you with the NVC case number you can ask about getting email correspondence from them instead of paper. You might want to review this link that has a flowchart of the immigrant visa application process: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process.html Also, I don't know where you got the Choice of Agent form because it needs to be done online DS-261 which can only be access with a NVC case number.

In regards to tax transcripts from the IRS go to this link: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on my case:
Shortly after I posted here about the correction for the I864, we got the interview letter, my mom got her interview on February 4th. She did not had to even open her folder of documents, she only was asked if she's been here before, what was the longest she stayed, and what she's gonna do once she's here. That was it. She got approved, and now we are waiting for the passport and the visa to get deliver to her home. If anyone has any question that I you think I could answer please inbox me, I don't get notifications of this post.

(1) How is the first contact by NVC done? Through mail or email? To the applicant or beneficiary?
(2) How long does it take for this contact? I've read here anywhere from a week to months?
(3) While waiting for the first contact from NVC, can applicant send an email to NVC with the USCIS case number and basic info of applicant/beneficiary and request for all the future contacts to be done through email?

Thanks beforehand for your replies and good luck with everyone.

This latest update is for the ones that wanted to hear back regarding the parole my mother asked for my brothers at time of interview. My minor brother's parole was approved today, and his interview was scheduled for 06/14/2027 but since he is a minor and both legal guardians are leaving the country at the same time. I can appeal for an interview reschedule directly to the embassy. I will keep you up to date on the outcome. I am super Happy!!!!!

01/17/2013- Form I-130 Mailed out Priority Mail
01/22/2013- Delivered 10:18 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607
02/04/2013- Received I-797C (Notice of Action) by USPS (CASE IS IN INITIAL REVIEW) with Priority Date 01/25/2013
07/18/2013- Received email with approval notification for Step-Father
07/19/2013- Received email with approval notification for Mother
08/01/2013- Received NVC Case Number for both parents, AOS Invoices & Immigrant Visa Processing Invoice
08/02/2013- Paid AOS invoice
08/05/2013- Found name error in father's petition, Called and emailed NVC my father's first page of passport so they can correct his name.
08/05-2013- Mailed AOS and all supporting documents.
08/05/2013- Sent completed DS-230 to parents in Cuba for signatures. Now waiting for the applications back and all other documentations i need to send the DS-230 back to the NVC.
08/06/2013- AOS status updated to PAID
08/07/2013- AOS Delivered
08/07/2013- Request to withdraw attorney from both cases. Emailed
08/16/2013- Received notification that attorney has been removed from the cases.
08/19/2013- Received notification of name correction for my Step-Father
08/26/2013- Paid for IV Fees
08/27/2013- Mailed DS-230 and civil documents for both parents.
08/28/2013- IV status updated to PAID
08/29/2013- DS-230 Packets delivered
10/02/2013- Received letter from NVC with instructions to complete the new DS-260 online for both parents
10/02/2013- DS-260 completed online for both parents
11/29/2013- Interview Scheduled for both Parents for 01/13/2014 at 11:00am
01/13/2014- Interview Done. Officer kept Passports for Visa stamping. Needs to pick up on Tuesday 01/21/2014
01/21/2014- VISA GRANTED!
01/21/2014- Mother asked Parole for my two brothers (one of them is a minor of 14 years) at time of interview.
02/24/2014- Minor brother's Parole Granted!!!!! scheduled interview for 06/14/2027 at 8:00am

For the ones that wanted to know how the parole worked... Both my brothers parole request got approved. My mother asked for their paroles at time of her interview and they both got approved (one minor brother and one adult 28 years old unmarried brother) I am sure the being a minor and the unmarried part affected in the parole granting but whatever it was I am super happy about it!

01/17/2013- Form I-130 Mailed out Priority Mail
01/22/2013- Delivered 10:18 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607
02/04/2013- Received I-797C (Notice of Action) by USPS (CASE IS IN INITIAL REVIEW) with Priority Date 01/25/2013
07/18/2013- Received email with approval notification for Step-Father
07/19/2013- Received email with approval notification for Mother
08/01/2013- Received NVC Case Number for both parents, AOS Invoices & Immigrant Visa Processing Invoice
08/02/2013- Paid AOS invoice
08/05/2013- Found name error in father's petition, Called and emailed NVC my father's first page of passport so they can correct his name.
08/05-2013- Mailed AOS and all supporting documents.
08/05/2013- Sent completed DS-230 to parents in Cuba for signatures. Now waiting for the applications back and all other documentations i need to send the DS-230 back to the NVC.
08/06/2013- AOS status updated to PAID
08/07/2013- AOS Delivered
08/07/2013- Request to withdraw attorney from both cases. Emailed
08/16/2013- Received notification that attorney has been removed from the cases.
08/19/2013- Received notification of name correction for my Step-Father
08/26/2013- Paid for IV Fees
08/27/2013- Mailed DS-230 and civil documents for both parents.
08/28/2013- IV status updated to PAID
08/29/2013- DS-230 Packets delivered
10/02/2013- Received letter from NVC with instructions to complete the new DS-260 online for both parents
10/02/2013- DS-260 completed online for both parents
11/29/2013- Interview Scheduled for both Parents for 01/13/2014 at 11:00am
01/13/2014- Interview Done. Officer kept Passports for Visa stamping. Needs to pick up on Tuesday 01/21/2014
01/21/2014- VISA GRANTED!
01/21/2014- Mother asked Parole for my two brothers (one of them is a minor of 14 years) at time of interview.
02/24/2014- Minor brother's Parole Granted!!!!! scheduled interview for 06/14/2027 at 8:00am
02/24/2914- Sent email to Havana embassy to expedite minor brother interview.
02/25/2014- Adult brother's Parole Granted!!! Must schedule his interview next week (embassy needs to transmit information before interview can be scheduled)

We applied I-130 for both the parents and have following:
Priority Date: June 7 2013
Receipt Date: June 10 2013
Case transferred to Texas in December
I-130 Approval date: Jan 10 2014

Letter mentioned that beneficiary will receive a NVC case number within 30 days but so far no information from them.

Moreover my Parents in India moved to new address in India so I am worried that we will miss the letter if NVC only send to parentsd and don't send me copy at US address and moreover I was told by USCIS to inform NVC about new address after we have the case number but now not sure if NVC will contact my parents on old address or we expect letter from them or what should be the correct process?

I 130 Time frame will be consider from old receipt number or it will be consider from New Recipt No

Dear All,

My Father already submitted my case when he went to US, after that he submitted my I-130 case again with old receipts number as reference, and when he got US passport and after my marriage.
Each time different Receipt Number we got,

My Question is time frame will be consider from old receipt number or it will be consider from NEW receipt number.

Finally received notice today that both I-130 for my wife's parents have been approved. My wife has been very mad at this process for the last couple of months, and has even gone as far as trying to get the cases expedited, but she didn't have the proper reasoning to do so.

She submitted in early June and the cases were transferred to the Nebraska Service Center in December.

A week ago I received a letter that my case has been transferred to the California Service Center and today I saw that they are requesting more evidence to establish my relationship with my father, even though I submitted all paperwork as mentioned in the I-130 guidelines :(

Is this the normal process?

It feels like most people aren't asked for evidence and it's only going to delay the process even more, my application was received on Sept 5th, 2013.

A week ago I received a letter that my case has been transferred to the California Service Center and today I saw that they are requesting more evidence to establish my relationship with my father, even though I submitted all paperwork as mentioned in the I-130 guidelines :(

Is this the normal process?

It feels like most people aren't asked for evidence and it's only going to delay the process even more, my application was received on Sept 5th, 2013.

I am surprised that the California Service Center even looked at the I-130 shortly after it was transferred there. The I-130 that my wife sent for her parents sat at NBC for six months before being transferred to Nebraska and then sat there for almost 3 months before someone looked at it.

In terms of the request for evidence, the best thing to do is to wait until you receive the notice in the mail regarding what they are asking for.