I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing.

After I completed the Choice of Agent form and paid the Affidavit of Support fee (October 6th), 3 days later is when I actually received the Welcome Letter in the mail. I waited for a bit to see if the COA would be completed on it's own and the IV Fee would be unlocked to pay it, but it didn't. On October 14th I called the NVC and got the COA reviewed over the phone. The next day I received IV Fee Invoice by email. On the 16th I went online and paid the IV Fee. Today was when the IV Fee Appeared as PAID and DS-260 IV application was available to click on it and begin filling it out.

NICE! This is definitely much faster than timelines from only a few month ago.

I am filling out the i-864. I actually think I qualify for i-864EZ, since I meet all of the requirements, but I am confused about one stupid question and I am finding very different answers when I google or look in other forums and posts.

I have the following version of the forms:

- USCIS Form I-864 OMB No. 1615-0075 Expires 07/31/2017
- USCIS Form I-864EZ OMB No. 1615-0075 Expires 07/31/2017

I see they updated the forms. When I sent mine, the old forms (expiring in March 2015) was still the only ones available.

For both forms, there is a Part 2. Information About the Principal Immigrant You Are Sponsoring (Intending Immigrant)

A) What do I put under 2.a. In Care Of Name?

I would either leave it empty or write "N/A" or write your parent's name. This field did not exist in the previous version of the form, but either of those options are fine. Your parents are independent adults that care for themselves. This field would be mostly used for a minor or something.

B) What address do they want here? My parent's address in my home country? My address here in the US, where my parent intends to live once she arrives?

Your parent's address in their home country. For some of these things, you can also check the instructions that are available for the forms: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

C) What is the difference between ZIP Code / Postal Code?

I'm not 100% sure. ZIP codes are for the US. Other countries use postal code. I only filled out the postal code information (empty zip code field).

Form i-864 Part 6. Sponsor's Employment and Income
Question # 2: My current individual annual income is: $____

Form -864EZ Part 5. Information About Your Employment and Income
Question # 4: My current individual annual income: $___

D) If you get paid by the hour, how would you calculate the individual annual income? Because in other posts I've seen people calculate it like $Hour x 40 x 4 x 12, but others calculate it like $Hour x 40 x 52... and obviously the result is different.

If you're computing for an entire year, it should be $/hour x 40h/week x 52weeks/year. It's more accurate than 4weeks/month x 12months/year -- unless you don't get paid for vacations/sick days and holidays. I didn't have to do this, but, just thinking about it now, if I needed to, I would have used the formula that gave me the value that is the closest to my actual projected amount or use that actual projected amount even if it falls somewhere between the two formula values -- do you have an idea of how much that would be? -- assuming nothing changes till the end of the year w.r.t. your employment status. Maybe you can use last year's income to determine this year's. Read the instructions on this part ... they do not require that you provide justification for this projected amount ... so ... maybe it doesn't even matter that much if you multiply your weekly income by 48 or 52. They cannot hold it against you if you make a penny less than what you put in here ... since this is just a projection (reasonable estimation) based on your current situation (nobody knows what's to come in the future).

Hope this helps,
Good luck!

... For some of these things, you can also check the instructions that are available for the forms: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

fjelltronen,

Thank you for the reply and answers.... Yeah, I read the instructions, but they are not that specific :/

I think I am going to go with multiplying it for 52, since it's more accurate to what I made last year... I got a raise this year, so I want to put this year's estimated income instead of last year.

Thanks again.

fjelltronen,

Sorry my late response. Yes finally I received email today from NVC that says "The National Visa Center (NVC) completed the domestic pre-processing of the immigrant visa petition and will now forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate" and they also scheduled the interview for December for both parents.
Thanks for the guidance.

S

Has the NVC confirmed that you have all the required documents with them and that you just have to wait for the interview to be scheduled? Was that done back in April?

Do you know if the consulate where they will go is particularly busy on a regular basis? I don't know where they will go and you don't have to tell me, but maybe check with other people from that area to see if there are some delays at that consulate. or maybe it's renovating and they have halted all interviews for a few months [although i doubt they would actually do that]. or maybe you're in a country with a lot of applications and they have reached their limit for 2015 [not sure if that's even possible with parent GCs]. I would say try to find out if there's something out of the ordinary happening with the consulate. Also, you could try to call NVC again, maybe a different person will give you better answers; maybe you could try to ask different questions. I don't know if the NVC has any influence on when the interview is scheduled -- I would guess it's all up to the consulate and their schedule at this point.

I would say it's very likely that your applications reached the consulate -- but who knows ... anything is possible ... although I would be very surprised if that happened -- anyways, you made an inquiry, so they can probably check back on the situation and discover any communication issues between the two locations.

Yes finally I received email today from NVC that says "The National Visa Center (NVC) completed the domestic pre-processing of the immigrant visa petition and will now forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate" and they also scheduled the interview for December for both parents.

nice!! good luck! :)

my parents are getting all the required documents together. their interview is in about 1 month. they finished the medical exam a week ago.

i got several different lists of required documentation for the interview -- there's one on the NVC website (most comprehensive), one from NVC itself by email (fewer docs, but different, but more specific to our applications), and one from the consulate by email (even fewer documents, again seems tailored to our applications). i think i will ask them to take everything with them to the interview -- better to be over prepared, than to miss an important document. i also had to mail from here some of my original documents [i've sent 3 different mail-outs so far :(, since the emailed lists contained documents not listed in the prev. ones].

I am filling out the form DS-261 from this link https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx, but it does not allow me to enter my parents' oversea address.
The address has a slash "/", as in "123/1A".
Could you please suggest an idea?
  • Street Address (Line 1) is invalid. Only the following characters are valid for this field: A-Z, 0-9, #, $, *, %, &, (;), !, @, ^, ?, >, <, parens (), period (.), apostrophe ('), comma (,), hyphen (-), and space.

The address has a slash "/", as in "123/1A".
Could you please suggest an idea?
  • Street Address (Line 1) is invalid. Only the following characters are valid for this field: A-Z, 0-9, #, $, *, %, &, (;), !, @, ^, ?, >, <, parens (), period (.), apostrophe ('), comma (,), hyphen (-), and space.
I think it would be safe to put either a "-" or a space, since you're not allowed to have the "/". I would not worry about this address being used for mailing information, since you have printed out the same information in other forms as well (presumably with a "/"). And, even if they use this address with a "-" instead of a "/", do you think it would not reach the destination? And, even if some official spots the difference between the address with "-" and the one with "/", it can be easily explained.

Hope this helps,

In the DS-261, what address should I use for "Correspondence from the U.S. Department of State regarding your visa application will be sent to"? Should I use my US address or should it be my parents' oversea address?
I just submitted the form with my parents' address, but I think I was wrong. I should have used my address...

In the DS-261, what address should I use for "Correspondence from the U.S. Department of State regarding your visa application will be sent to"? Should I use my US address or should it be my parents' oversea address?
I just submitted the form with my parents' address, but I think I was wrong. I should have used my address...

I'll assume you will be their agent for this. Well ... their address is not the best choice, but it's not completely wrong.

Here is what happened to me and others here recently: (1) After I submitted the form, I waited for 2+ weeks since they mention they need 15 days to process the form (http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...rocess/approved/Step_1_Choose_an_agent.html); (2) after all that time, there was still no sign of them having processed the information, so I called them; (3) they made the required changes with me on the phone (they asked me all the required information as they put it in their system).

What you can try to do is to wait for the 15 days, then call them and when getting this set up over the phone, give them your address here in the US as the one used for correspondence. You could also try to call them right now and mention you want to make a change and give them your US address along with all the other information -- maybe they will be willing to process it on the spot with the new information or maybe they will just, at least, change the address on file.

I think part of me getting the form approved over the phone as soon as I called was the fact that more than 2 weeks had passed and they needed to have it done within that time -- so I'm not sure if calling them before 15 days pass will get you the approved form, but, at least, you can try to change that address in there.

Also, for most of the documents, they used email, with some coming by both email and regular mail. I would not worry too much if you cannot change the address you put in.

You are right, I just called them and they said the forms are too recent, so they would like me to call back next week.
So I would update the email address of my parents in the form to mine because they don't check email that often.
I appreciate your comment, fjelltronen.

So I would update the email address of my parents in the form to mine because they don't check email that often.

You could, but their records should already have an email address for you (as the petitioner/agent) and another for your parents (as beneficiaries). If they don't have them already, they will ask when you call next week (I think). They had all our email addresses and sent everything to all of them in the same time. The only email that I received (as a petitioner) that they didn't was from the consulate there with details about the interview (doc list, todos, etc.).

Hello Everyone!

I have some good news: my parents' visas were approved. They had the interviews yesterday and everything went well. We're planning on them coming to the US for the winter holidays.

How is everybody else doing?

fjelltronen,

Congratulations!!!! I'm very happy for you... I am now compiling all the documents to send AOS package and IV Package together... I still have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me out with them. I had to take a little bit of a hiatus on this process and now it seems like I forgot everything I read, and I'm confused again.

So far I have completed all these steps:
- USCIS Stage
- NVC Stage:
1- Case Number
2- Invoice ID Number
3- DS-261 Choice Of Agent
4- Paid AOS Fee
5- Paid IV Fee
I am about to complete the following steps:
6- Fill out AOS For I-864 OR I-864EZ (not sure yet)
7- Send AOS & IV Packages​

My questions are:

a) Regarding I-864:

Sorry, my message got sent before I was done... here's the full message:

fjelltronen,

Congratulations!!!! I'm very happy for you... I am now compiling all the documents to send AOS package and IV Package together... I still have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me out with them. I had to take a little bit of a hiatus on this process and now it seems like I forgot everything I read, and I'm confused again.

So far I have completed all these steps:
- USCIS Stage
- NVC Stage:
1- Case Number
2- Invoice ID Number
3- DS-261 Choice Of Agent
4- Paid AOS Fee
5- Paid IV Fee
I am about to complete the following steps:
6- Fill out AOS For I-864 OR I-864EZ (not sure yet)
7- Send AOS & IV Packages​

My questions are:

a) Regarding I-864, the new 07/02/15 Form I-864, is a bit confusing.

- Part 2. Information About the Principal Immigrant, Mailing Address.

Does this mean their current mailing address abroad? or the mailing address they will have once they come here to the US? And what do we put under 2.a. In Care Of Name?​

- Part 6. Sponsor's Employment and Income. Question 2. My current individual annual income is:

I have received different responses from different forums I visit. Is this number supposed to be the same number as my last W2 (which includes bonuses and overtime in my case)? Is it supposed to be the same number as my hourly pay rate x 40 weeks x 52 weeks per year (which doesn't include bonuses and overtime).​

- Part 6. Sponsor's Employment and Income. Question 15. My Current Annual Household Income (Total all lines from Part 6., Items Number 2., 5., 8., 11., and 14; the total will be compared to Federal Poverty Guidelines on Form I-864P)

I am planing on only using my own personal income to show I am well above the poverty guidelines, I am not using a joint sponsor. Therefore, when it asks to add all items and then write them down on question 15, the answer will be the same as question 2. However, I always file my taxes as "Married Filing Jointly", so the number here is obviously LOWER than wat my Income (number 7 on the Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return) and my Adjusted Gross Income (number 37 on the Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return) show. Obviously because that includes my husband's and my own salary together. Therefore this number I write down is no the same as what is shown in any of my documents (my W2 shows more, and my tax paperwork shows more).​

- Part 6. Sponsor's Employment and Income. Question 19.a., 19.b., and 19.c. My total income (adjusted gross income on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal income tax returns for the most recent three yeas was:

Here I have the same issue, my total adjusted gross income as reported on my Federal income tax returns includes my husband's income as well, not just mine. I had read that if I put both our incomes, they will send me a checklist asking him to sign a joint sponsor form, but we don't need him to be a joint sponsor, my own income covers it. So what number would I put here? it's telling me to put the number on my tax return form, but that number is incorrect.​

b) Regarding the AOS & IV Packets.
- What is the actual order and list of documents I need to include? This is what I have gathered so far, in the order I am placing them in:

1. Document Cover Sheet (Is this the sheet that came with the Welcome Letter that has this same list with checkboxes next to them?

WHAT ABOUT THE TWO OTHER DOCUMENT SHEETS THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO PRINT AFTER YOU PAID THE AOS AND IV FEE RESPECTIVELY? Should I put them here?

Manila Folder Containing AOS Packet:

2. Financial Documents:

Should I out the Document Cover Sheet for AOS here?
I saw somewhere else an "optional written by you cover letter"
Affidavit of Support
IRS Tax Transcript (2015, 2014, 2013)
Federal Income Tax Returns (2015, 2014, 2013)
Form W2 (2015, 2014, 2013)
Evidence of income (I have a letter form my employer stating my income as my hourly pay rate x 40 weeks x 52 weeks per year, and also the last 6 pay-stubs)
Proof of relationship (I would assume this is MY birth certificate, AGAIN, plus translation + certification+notarization)
Proof of U.S. status ( My Naturalization Certificate, a copy of my passport page, and a copy of my passport card)
Social Security Earnings Statement [NOT APPLICABLE TO ME]
Proof of assets [NOT APPLICABLE TO ME]

Manila Folder Containing IV Packet:

3. Supporting Documents

Should I out the Document Cover Sheet for AOS here?
Adoption documentation [NOT APPLICABLE TO ME]
Birth certificates (My mom's birth certificate, AGAIN, plus translation + certification+notarization)
Court and prison record(s)[NOT APPLICABLE TO ME]
Marriage certificate (My mom's marriage certificate, AGAIN because I had to send it due to an RFE during I-130 stage, plus translation + certification+notarization)
Marriage termination documents (My mom's divorce decree, AGAIN because I had to send it due to an RFE during I-130 stage, plus translation + certification+notarization)
Military records [NOT APPLICABLE TO ME]
Petitioner documents (MY birth certificate, AGAIN??????, plus translation + certification+notarization)
Photocopy of my mom's valid passport (I am sending copy of 2 different ones, because we used the information of her 1st one during I-130 stage, but it expired and she had to get another one for NVC stage).
Photographs (2)
Police Certificate(s) (One from my counrty, the only place she's lived in, plus translation + certification+notarization)
Translations (I shouldn't put all translations back here, right? they go next to the document they are the translation of, right? plus certification + notarization)
Photocopies (Do they mean photocopies of EVERYTHING listed above, or do they mean to just bring photocopies of everything as listed above instead of originals?)
Other Documents (What more could they possibly need, LOL?)

If anyone here has a similar case of married filing jointly but only using your own income, please let me know how you did it. Thank you for any help...

MW

You could, but their records should already have an email address for you (as the petitioner/agent) and another for your parents (as beneficiaries). If they don't have them already, they will ask when you call next week (I think). They had all our email addresses and sent everything to all of them in the same time. The only email that I received (as a petitioner) that they didn't was from the consulate there with details about the interview (doc list, todos, etc.).
YAY!!!

My parents are here now!! :)
Congrats!

My mom will be coming here on May 5th to get her SSN and Green Card.
I did have to send a Police Certificate. After that she had an Interview on January 13th and Visa was issued.

Did your parents get their GC already?
They gotta be present here in US for process to start?

Thank you in advance!

Hey guys, seems like this thread has been silent for a while... here I go stirring it up again... I have a quick question.

I got my Case Complete ( the three N/A's ) last week on Monday, May 2nd. I called to double check with NVC, and I was in fact approved. The lady on the phone told me to wait for an email and then they would begin the process of scheduling the interview with my Embassy. Then, I had read some conflicting instructions on another forum that is a bit more active than this one, and with other members form Venezuela and had some conflicting comments as well. Some members are telling me the NVC will schedule the appointment for me, some others are saying I have to go through a website and schedule it myself, some others are saying it depends on what kind of visa you are applying for, etc. etc. etc. So I called NVC again on Thursday and the lady said the same thing, continue to wait for the email and they will schedule the appointment for me.

Today, I got the email and it says:

Dear Sir/Madam,

The National Visa Center (NVC) received all the requested documentation for this immigrant visa case. The applicant is now in the queue awaiting an interview appointment overseas, where a consular officer will adjudicate the applicant’s visa application.

NVC schedules appointments one month in advance. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate General tells us what dates they are holding interviews, and NVC fills these appointments in a first-in, first-out manner. Most appointments are set within 60 days of NVC receipt of all requested documentation. However, we cannot predict when an interview appointment will be available.

When we are able to schedule an appointment, we will notify the applicant, petitioner and attorney (if applicable). The applicant can prepare now by reading about the embassy’s interview requirements online at http://nvc.state.gov/interview. Thank you for your patience.

The embassy may require additional documents at the interview. In particular, if the following three items are all true, the applicant must bring a new police certificate to the visa interview:

• He or she is more than 16 years old;
    • The police certificate submitted to NVC was obtained more than one year ago; and
    • He or she still lives in the country that issued the certificate.
The applicant should not make any travel arrangements, sell property, or give up employment until the embassy has issued a visa.

Sincerely,

Director
National Visa Center

Case Number: XXX
Beneficiary's Name: XXX
Preference Category: IR5
Priority Date: 16MAR15

Also, when I got home a letter from NVC was waiting in the mail and it states:

May 4, 2016

NVC Case Number: XXXX
Invoice I.D. Number: XXXX

Dear XXXX:

We updated the mailing/email address for this case. Please continue to notify the NVC of any change of mailing/email address, or change in personal situation that may affect the principal applicant's entitlement to a visa.

NVC Case Number: XXXX
Petitioner's Name: XXXX
Principal Applicant's Name: XXXX
Visa Category: IR5 - PARENT OF US CITIZEN
Priority Date: 16MAR2015
Foreign State Chargeability: VENEZUELA
U.S. Embassy orConsulate: CARACAS, VENEZUELA, EMBAJADA DE LOS EST ADOS UNIDOS
CONSULAR SECTION, IMMIGRANT VISA
CALLE F CON CALLE SUAPURE, URB VA
ARRIBA, CARACAS 1080 VENEZUELA

I was wondering if anyone else got this letter and what does it mean? I did not request any change of mailing/email address... or are they talking about the embassy's address? which is the one listed at the end of the letter (I put it in bold).

Thank you,

M

Hey happywife,

I think you should sit and wait for Interview letter.
If the letter about Address Update came to the right address you don't have to worry about anything.