I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing.

Dear Members and Gurus of this forum and topic, i have few question if you can help me with that:
(1) is there any step during the whole process that you need to mail any original documents (whether in English or any other language)? If yes, which step is that? and what does happen to those documents?
(2) what are the forms needing the parents signatures?
(3) what are the preparations that an applicant can do while waiting for I-130 approval for the NVC phase? Is there a link which details the steps in the NVC case?
Thanks a lot for your help, appreciate that.

Hi,

ANS (1) You mail out "Originals" or "Certified Originals" at the time you sent the DS-230. You will need certified translations in English if the originals are not in English. And NVC is supposed to send you back your Original documents (after the interview i believe, but i am not at that stage at this moment, so i can't speak for experience)
ANS (2) The forms that need your parents (the applicant immigrant) signature are the Choice of Agent, and the Immigrant Visa DS-230
ANS(3) Please see the answer i gave to "Zinnie"

Good Luck!
01/17/2013- Form I-130 Mailed out Priority Mail
01/22/2013- Delivered 10:18 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607
02/04/2013- Received I-797C (Notice of Action) by USPS (CASE IS IN INITIAL REVIEW) with Priority Date 01/25/2013
07/18/2013- Received email with approval notification for Step-Father
07/19/2013- Received email with approval notification for Mother
08/01/2013- Received NVC Case Number for both parents, AOS Invoices & Immigrant Visa Processing Invoice
08/02/2013- Paid AOS invoice
08/05/2013- Found name error in father's petition, Called and emailed NVC my father's first page of passport so they can correct his name.
08/05-2013- Mailed AOS and all supporting documents.
08/05/2013- Sent completed DS-230 to parents in Cuba for signatures. Now waiting for the applications back and all other documentations i need to send the DS-230 back to the NVC.
08/06/2013- AOS status updated to PAID
08/07/2013- AOS Delivered
08/07/2013- Request to withdraw attorney from both cases. Emailed
08/16/2013- Received notification that attorney has been removed from the cases.
08/19/2013- Received notification of name correction for my Step-Father
08/26/2013- Paid for IV Fees
08/27/2013- Mailed DS-230 and civil documents for both parents.
08/28/2013- IV status updated to PAID
08/29/2013- DS-230 Packets delivered

Hi,

I am not an immigration professional, but what you can start doing is collecting all "Orginal" or "Certified Originals" of civil documents for your and your father, that is birth certificates, marriage, divorce, death (any that apply to your case) also, military discharge documents if your father was in the military. You are going to need all of this when you send the DS-230 application. Also, you need to collect all informations as to all the addresses your father hase lived in since he turned 16 years old, and all schools he went to, and diplomas he got, this is called the "Biography" part of the DS-230. You will need certified English translations of the original civil documents in case they are not in English. Also you will need your father's police cleareance (the certificate can be older than 6 months by the time you send out the DS-230 so leave this to be the last doc you obtain)
For de AOS you will need the past 3 years of your tax returns, its best if you call the IRS and ask them to send you your transcripts, this will be better for agents at the NVC to read your taxes. But if you cant get your transcripts, the regular filed tax return along with all your W2s will be fine. If you changed jobs recently, you migth want to include at least 3 months of paystubs showing your most recent earnigs (if they mean more money, a raise, or a better possition, that might aid you)
Good luck, and i hope this helped.

Reviewing this reply, THE POLICE CLEARANCE CAN'T BE OLDER THAN 6 MONTHS. SO MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS DOC LAST, RIGHT BEFORE YOU SEND THE DS-230.

02/04/2013- Received I-797C (Notice of Action) by USPS (CASE IS IN INITIAL REVIEW) with Priority Date 01/25/2013
08/01/2013- Received NVC Case Number for both parents, AOS Invoices & Immigrant Visa Processing Invoice
08/05/2013- Found name error in father's petition, Called and emailed NVC my father's first page of passport so they can correct his name.
08/05/2013- Sent completed DS-230 to parents in Cuba for signatures. Now waiting for the applications back and all other documentations i need to send the DS-230 back to the NVC.
08/16/2013- Received notification that attorney has been removed from the cases.

hello,

hello there,
Thanks to all for sharing there experience here,
I sent I -130 for my both parents on last week of july 2013 got case number on first week of august.Now my case is i initial review.How long it will take me to get next mail and whats next i'm suppose to receive.
thanks

hello there,
Thanks to all for sharing there experience here,
I sent I -130 for my both parents on last week of july 2013 got case number on first week of august.Now my case is i initial review.How long it will take me to get next mail and whats next i'm suppose to receive.
thanks

We sent in the I-130 in early June; received the receipt numbers a week later and haven't heard anything since. I heard it is taking around 6 months.

Thank you, yaimalfonso!

It looks like DS-230 is a very time consuming aspect of the application. Thanks for the heads-up!

Hi,

I am not an immigration professional, but what you can start doing is collecting all "Orginal" or "Certified Originals" of civil documents for your and your father, that is birth certificates, marriage, divorce, death (any that apply to your case) also, military discharge documents if your father was in the military. You are going to need all of this when you send the DS-230 application. Also, you need to collect all informations as to all the addresses your father hase lived in since he turned 16 years old, and all schools he went to, and diplomas he got, this is called the "Biography" part of the DS-230. You will need certified English translations of the original civil documents in case they are not in English. Also you will need your father's police cleareance (the certificate can be older than 6 months by the time you send out the DS-230 so leave this to be the last doc you obtain)
For de AOS you will need the past 3 years of your tax returns, its best if you call the IRS and ask them to send you your transcripts, this will be better for agents at the NVC to read your taxes. But if you cant get your transcripts, the regular filed tax return along with all your W2s will be fine. If you changed jobs recently, you migth want to include at least 3 months of paystubs showing your most recent earnigs (if they mean more money, a raise, or a better possition, that might aid you)
Good luck, and i hope this helped.

Thanks a lot yaimalfonso for your kind replies, very much appreciate that, sorry I wasn't here earlier to thank you. Best wishes for your case.

Questions guys:

My grandparents' applications (parents of US citizen) hit a huge roadblock now, they were placed in "administrative processing in accordance with section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act." We had contacted a US senator and a congressman to inquire the status of the applications on our behalf and all they got from the consulate was they were still under administrative processing while providing no timeline on when the processing will be concluded. It has been six months since the consulate acknowledged receiving the supplementary documents. Any idea when they will finish this hideous process?
Also my parents moved to a new house after they sent out the applications for my grandparents and my uncle, so should they call the USCIS to change the address on the applications without further complicating their cases?
Thanks!

Is there a very recent time frame on how long it takes for NBC to approve I-130 for parents? In average 5 months? 7 months?
Where are the cases processed? In local offices or one central location for all cases?
Thanks for your help.

Is there a very recent time frame on how long it takes for NBC to approve I-130 for parents? In average 5 months? 7 months?
Where are the cases processed? In local offices or one central location for all cases?
Thanks for your help.

I heard it is taking about 6 months. No information is available online and the 800 number is also clueless. Best advice is after 3 months to schedule an INFOPass appointment at your local office.

I heard it is taking about 6 months. No information is available online and the 800 number is also clueless. Best advice is after 3 months to schedule an INFOPass appointment at your local office.

Thanks dhlunar for your reply.
Is usually the case forwarded to the local office for processing? or is it processed in a central NBC location?

Obamacare and new PR parents!

Hi all,
I need help to find information on how the new healthcare will affect our new PR parents. While my parents are with us right now, they will get their own apartment by next year( we will rent it or buy it for them ). Their income will be the interest from the CDs here and some back home in India,which will be tax payed in India before the interest is transferred here. Once they have their own address, do they qualify as a separate family with healthcare corresponding to their income group,OR since we signed I864, this does not apply to any parents of USC and the healthcare will be decided by sponsor's income?

Thanks all for any info!

Case updates

Good morning everyone! it looks like as of this September the new IV form is up and running for almost everyone! yesterday i recevied instructions to complete the online DS-260. They already have my completed DS-230 for both my parents with all civil documents, but it looks like they are now also requesting to get the DS-260 IV application to be done online. Heads up, dont get stuck like i did (thank god for phone calls) before you didn't need specific dates, and now you do! before you didn't need previous marriages dates (date of marriage and divorce) and now you do! now, they will ask you Health related questions, and a lot more security questions, and even vaccination questions. So make sure you got it all down and good! I spoke with the NVC yesterday and asked what would be the next step and this is it! nothing more to do, just wait for the interviews to be scheduled. So here i am almost 10 months later from the date i mailed the I-130s just waiting for the final steps to be taken :D

10/02/2013- Received letter from NVC with instructions to complete the new DS-260 online for both parents
10/02/2013- DS-260 completed online for both parents

Hi,

ANS (1) You mail out "Originals" or "Certified Originals" at the time you sent the DS-230. You will need certified translations in English if the originals are not in English. And NVC is supposed to send you back your Original documents (after the interview i believe, but i am not at that stage at this moment, so i can't speak for experience)
ANS (2) The forms that need your parents (the applicant immigrant) signature are the Choice of Agent, and the Immigrant Visa DS-230
ANS(3) Please see the answer i gave to "Zinnie"

Good Luck!

Thanks again yaimalfonso for your reply. I have few follow-up questions about your answers if you could kindly please help me from your experience? Appreciate that.
About ANS(1): if we include original and certified English translation of documents, is it OK to only include the copy of non-English document?
About ANS(2): These two forms are available online in pdf, can we fill them while waiting for the case going to NVC and send them for signature? Or we can only fill out and sign the specific form downloaded from our NVC account?
About ANS(3): documents to prepare: I understand the birth and marriage certificate of father and my birth certificate, but do we need death certificate of my mother too? Also do we need my father's police clearance regardless of his age?

BTW, what is DS-260? I had heard about AOS, DS-230, and choice of agent forms, but DS-260 is new to me.

Thanks again.

Thanks again yaimalfonso for your reply. I have few follow-up questions about your answers if you could kindly please help me from your experience? Appreciate that.
About ANS(1): if we include original and certified English translation of documents, is it OK to only include the copy of non-English document?
About ANS(2): These two forms are available online in pdf, can we fill them while waiting for the case going to NVC and send them for signature? Or we can only fill out and sign the specific form downloaded from our NVC account?
About ANS(3): documents to prepare: I understand the birth and marriage certificate of father and my birth certificate, but do we need death certificate of my mother too? Also do we need my father's police clearance regardless of his age?

BTW, what is DS-260? I had heard about AOS, DS-230, and choice of agent forms, but DS-260 is new to me.

Thanks again.

Hi, I'll try to answer as best as i can:
#1- You will need to send 1 ORIGINAL certificate (in the native language) then 2 photocopies of that. And 1 ORIGINAL english translation and I also made 2 photocopies of that. (but then i work at an office so that was not big deal for me, i rather be prepared than not)
#2- Yes, you may start filling out the forms, gathering information... just don't put any final dates on the forms (I had the forms filled out as soon as my I-130 was received at the USCIS) But now they have the DS-260 this is the application for Immigrant Visa that is replacing DS-230 so you may or may not have to fill our DS-230. But I would still get the information you need just to be prepared. The DS-260 is to be filled online, and they don't have a PDF from on that one. The DS-260 generates and it appears on your login in home page on the NVC as soon as your IV invoice is paid for (NVC will give you instructions on how to log in) in that page you will be able to see the status "PAID" or "NOT PAID" or "COMPLETE" on each form, DS-230, DS-260, AOS.
#3- You need all certificates! i didn't need the death certificates because i don't have any in my family. But my best gest is you will need your mother's death certificate. If the person involved in your case wants it, they will send you an RFE and it will delay your process. So, best be ready in all departments just in case. Birth, Marriage, Divorce, and Death certificates don't expire, but Police certificate does! (it only has a 6 months life) so you best get this all the way at the end. And yes, every person 16 years of age and older needs a Police clearance certificate.
Good luck and i hope i helped :)

10/02/2013- Received letter from NVC with instructions to complete the new DS-260 online for both parents

Thank you so much yaimalfonso for your detailed answer. Appreciate that :)
Indeed you've helped.

Your very wellcome. I too like this blog it has helped me a lot. I was reading on previous posts the conversation regarding time frame. To start, UCIS and NVC are not the same, they will treat cases differenctly. First, te UCIS is taking up to 6 months from the time they receive your packet till the time the case is approved (at least that's the time frame for the USCIS in California). Then it takes about 3-4 weeks until you get a case number from the NVC and you may start the actual visa process. This process involve paying for the Visa documents and the Affidavit of Suport. Your case at the NVC will take as long as you let it! if you first PAY for the Visa and the Affidavit and then mail all the documents out right away (follow ALL of their instructions), your case could be scheduled for an interview from 20-30 days from the day they receive the packets! (obiously, everyting has to be PERFECT!!!!) if something is wrong, or missing, they will send back an RFE and you will have to get what they need, then send it back, then wait another 20-30 business days! as simple as that!
Good luck!

Just noticed USCIS site is updated with processing time data for I-130 in NBC (didn't have this entry for past few months), it is the data from end of August, and both national average and NBC average time to process stand at 11 months :( VSC is still listed with 10.4 months.

Just noticed USCIS site is updated with processing time data for I-130 in NBC (didn't have this entry for past few months), it is the data from end of August, and both national average and NBC average time to process stand at 11 months :( VSC is still listed with 10.4 months.

USCIS posted on Monday that in order to balance the workload of I-130 for intimidate relative, cases may be transferred from the National Benefits Center to the Texas, Nebraska, or California Service Center.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=e7801c2c9be44210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

June priority date?

06/12/2013- Form I-130 Mailed out Priority Mail
06/21/2013- Received I-797C

Any idea where is current queue and when will they be processing June priority date?