I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing.

Consular processing for parents

I am a USC, and would like to file GC for my Indian parents.
They have a 10 year multiple B1 visa with them, and they are visiting us this summer.

My question is :
Is it possible to file i130 for them when they are here in USA ( in B1 visa), and let them go back and attend consular processing?
Or is AOS only option when they come here.

Please advise as I checked with a lawyer and he confused me by saying filing just i130 ( when they are already here) is not possible.
Can someone share their experience.
Would they have any issues in Mumbai\Delhi consulate if we say that they were in USA on visit at the time of i130 filling?

Hi, isn't the case closed after a year from when it was cancelled? i think i read that somewere on the USCIS website. If a year has passed, you need to start the whole process again... what happened after the case got a prooved and sent to NVC? they didn't approve it? is that why you cancelled it?
Have you tried calling USCIS to check on your case? and what is going on? if it was completely cancelled then, there should be no problem with your parents sending the petition for your sibling. In fact, it would be best if your parents filed for your sibling, the process would be faster.
Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. Case was approved and sent to NVC. I sent letter to cancel the case to NVC since my parents also filled for my siblings. I never received official letter from USCIS that case is close or cancelled.It has been 3 years when I sent letter to NVC to cancel. Right a way month later I sent another letter to not cancel the case. I do not want them to cancel the case and proess the case as before and send it to NVC. I called USCIS and my lawyer also did but USCIS says it is under review. online status says case is under review. What else can I do so case gets reviewed?

I am a USC, and would like to file GC for my Indian parents.
They have a 10 year multiple B1 visa with them, and they are visiting us this summer.

My question is :
Is it possible to file i130 for them when they are here in USA ( in B1 visa), and let them go back and attend consular processing?
Or is AOS only option when they come here.

Please advise as I checked with a lawyer and he confused me by saying filing just i130 ( when they are already here) is not possible.
Can someone share their experience.
Would they have any issues in Mumbai\Delhi consulate if we say that they were in USA on visit at the time of i130 filling?

Hi,
I am quoting this from a previous thread by a moderator but did not know myself that it can be done..........
"That doesn't mean CP can't or shouldn't be followed. The I-130 can be filed with the CP option when the mother is still in the US. Then she would leave the US when it is time to be interviewed at the consulate or when her I-94 expires, whichever comes first."

Hopefully someone senior can comment on this!

manny11
I applied my mom's on Dec 2012, so far no news. Applied to chicago lockbox.
Any idea what service center they process? There is no place to track Chicago Lockbox
processing times. Texas and Vermont are the other places, and according to the wbsite
they are processig Jun 2012 as of Dec 2012. Good luck.
thanks

Hi sbabunle,

I spoke with a customer service representative as it has been five months till i have applied and I am still waiting for the approval. I was told that it is getting processed at Missouri Service Center, which is now called as National Benefit Center. If I try to check for processing times at National Benefit Center, I do not see I-130 at all in the list. I am not sure why it is getting processed here for my petition or is that the case for everyone. I have no idea.

I was told that usually it should take five months and currently they are dealing high volume of cases. I was asked to contact them by phone in two weeks from now if it is still not approved. I will keep you posted after I talk with the customer service rep in two weeks.

130 Petition (for Mother)
- 10/10/12: I-130 Sent via USPS to Chicago
- 10/20/12: NOA Rec'd with a receipt date of 10/18/2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Costa Rican petition mom

I didn’t know I could mail the affidavit paperwork when I paid the $88.00 back in February :( so I m a little behind, the NVC said it was ok though, do you guys think that is ok??? :( this makes me sooo worried. I got the Visa bill e mail last night and I paid the $230.00 last night and then figure I need to send the affidavit papers. I m getting everything together to send this Monday.

Now I need to call the NVC to ask some questions but sometimes they are a little short so I thought I will ask you guys. My husband is going to be an sponsor as well, since I only work part time, so my question is Do we have to fill 2 different I864???

OMG Doing some research I found I m lost :( I really need help. I didn't realize that I had to do a DS-230, does this one cost money too? can I send it (ds-230) with the I864 all together, or does my mother has to file the DS-230 in Costa Rica? ... please help :( . Another thing, do all the civil documents has to be translated? I have my moms birth cerfificate and divorce certificate etc, however I dont know if I have to tranlate them.

10-21-2012: Sent I130 for my mom
01-20-2013: I130 approved for my mom who resides in Costa Rica ;)
02-14-2013: got email from NVC for AoS fee
02-15-2013: Paid $88.00 for processing fee
02-19-2013: mailed DS 3032 completed
03/27/13: Got bill for Visa, and paid visa fee $230.00.:cool:

Looks like either immigration or nvc lost my documents. Its been almost two months since immigration supposedly send the stuff to nvc but they havent get anything! Delays delays delays! :( i emailed the two noa to nvc, they cant find anything yet so now they gonna contact immigration to see whats going on. Wish me luck :(

Hello All, Starting my journey tomorrow by sending I-130 packages for my Mom and my Dad (separately).
Can you please go through the checklist below and let me know if I am missing anything:

Mom's package:
I-130 form (mom)
G-1145 email notification form
copy of my Birth cert.in original language
copy of Translation of my Birth certificate
copy of Naturalization cert.
copy of Marriage cert. for name change'
check$420

Q: should i also attach copy of my US passport?

Dad's package:
I-130 form (dad)
copy of parents Marriage cert.
copy of translation of Parents Marriage cert.
copy of Marriage cert. for name change
check $420

I have read that some people mentioning that they attached cover letter- Q:what cover letter?

thank you!

Hello All, Starting my journey tomorrow by sending I-130 packages for my Mom and my Dad (separately).
Can you please go through the checklist below and let me know if I am missing anything:

Mom's package:
I-130 form (mom)
copy of Marriage cert. for name change'
check$420

Q: should i also attach copy of my US passport?

Dad's package:
I-130 form (dad)
copy of parents Marriage cert.
copy of translation of Parents Marriage cert.
copy of Marriage cert. for name change
check $420

I have read that some people mentioning that they attached cover letter- Q:what cover letter?

thank you!

Kairinyc,

You do not need to send a copy of your passport. A copy of your Nat. Cert. is enough. It seems like you have everything in order and should not be a problem.

Latest updates... My mom (65 yrs old) went to her immigrant visa interview today and was given 221(g) for missing the following documents:

1-Petitioner birth certificate (This was submited to the NVC and the interview letter confirmed the receipt. Someone lost it somewhere. It's ok my parents are getting a duplicata from the civil authority).
2-Police Clearance (the police clearance does have 3-months duration and the expiration date was today 4/10/13. Ok a new police clearance is being issued).

Here is the interview report from my mother:

Pre-interview:
My mom handed her passport along with missing Marriage Certificate (Original) and extra photographs to the window 1. A lady who took the items told her that they are missing petitioner birth certificate and her police certificate just expired today. Then, she said to my mom to wait and she will be called to see the CO. My young sister was with my mom inside all this time.

Interview:
"The CO looked at my mom & smiled. Mom said..he was nice." My mom does have a bad experience when she was denied a Visitor Visa 3 yrs ago.
CO: What is your name?
Mom: Responded.
CO: Can you sign well?
Mom: Yes, I can sign my full name.
CO: Sign here.
Mom: Ok

The CO called my sister and told her (for my mom) to bring the above missing documents either tomorrow Thursday @ 1pm or next week Thursday 1pm. They gave her 221(g) requesting the two (2) missing documents. I hope it would not take longer since the birth certificate was already submitted to the NVC. However, the CO kept the passport. Is it a good sign when the passport is kept after the interview?

As per my understanding they keep passport for every case when the visa is approved or going to be approved & then they sent it via courier.

Latest updates... My mom (65 yrs old) went to her immigrant visa interview today and was given 221(g) for missing the following documents:

1-Petitioner birth certificate (This was submited to the NVC and the interview letter confirmed the receipt. Someone lost it somewhere. It's ok my parents are getting a duplicata from the civil authority).
2-Police Clearance (the police clearance does have 3-months duration and the expiration date was today 4/10/13. Ok a new police clearance is being issued).

Here is the interview report from my mother:

Pre-interview:
My mom handed her passport along with missing Marriage Certificate (Original) and extra photographs to the window 1. A lady who took the items told her that they are missing petitioner birth certificate and her police certificate just expired today. Then, she said to my mom to wait and she will be called to see the CO. My young sister was with my mom inside all this time.

Interview:
"The CO looked at my mom & smiled. Mom said..he was nice." My mom does have a bad experience when she was denied a Visitor Visa 3 yrs ago.
CO: What is your name?
Mom: Responded.
CO: Can you sign well?
Mom: Yes, I can sign my full name.
CO: Sign here.
Mom: Ok

The CO called my sister and told her (for my mom) to bring the above missing documents either tomorrow Thursday @ 1pm or next week Thursday 1pm. They gave her 221(g) requesting the two (2) missing documents. I hope it would not take longer since the birth certificate was already submitted to the NVC. However, the CO kept the passport. Is it a good sign when the passport is kept after the interview?

As per my understanding they keep passport for every case when the visa is approved or going to be approved & then they sent it via courier.

I believe so too. According to my sister who was with my mom inside, the CO was looking positive when going through each page of the file. I think once the documents are submitted, we should have the visa within few days. I am crossing my fingers. This process has been very tiredly. We have really put our parents to soooo much.

My parents went for interview today and GOT APPROVED!! :)).

They were called at 8:30, Delhi consulate. After going inside,they were directed to a window where their fingerprinting was done and my dad was asked for a copy of their marriage certificate and a copy of his NOBC which they gave. Then they were called to another window. The IO asked the if they have been to the US before (yes), if they have ever overstayed(no), who is sponsoring(daughter), what does she do( to which my mom replied 'nothing'....since I'm a housewife!.....thanks mom :) and clarified that I'm a housewife), and how many family members do I have. That's it, then they were told that the visa is granted and the passports will be mailed in a week or so!

Thank you all for helping and guiding me thru this journey .....please keep posting your experiences.

Congrats Smile1 :)

They were called at 8:30, Delhi consulate. After going inside,they were directed to a window where their fingerprinting was done and my dad was asked for a copy of their marriage certificate and a copy of his NOBC which they gave. Then they were called to another window. The IO asked the if they have been to the US before (yes), if they have ever overstayed(no), who is sponsoring(daughter), what does she do( to which my mom replied 'nothing'....since I'm a housewife!.....thanks mom :) and clarified that I'm a housewife), and how many family members do I have. That's it, then they were told that the visa is granted and the passports will be mailed in a week or so!

Thank you all for helping and guiding me thru this journey .....please keep posting your experiences.

Congratulations Smile1:) The journey is over!

Thanks Sukhi and jl_colin!

My parents got their passports with the new visa and a sheet of A number attached to it after 3 days! Now I just have to pay the $165 each USCIS handling fee( new since Feb 1,2013) before they travel to the US.

Documents needed

Hi everyone. I filed for my mom and it took the USCIS 2 months :mad: to send the approval notice to the NVC. I am still waiting for the letter but in the mean time i just want to gather the documents that My mom will need so we save some time. Since most of you are already past this point, maybe you can help me out. thanks.

- 11/19/12: I-130 Sent via USPS to Chicago
- 12/03/12: NOA Rec'd.
- 02/08/13: NOA 2 approved
- 04/08/13: NVC received the NOA ( No letter yet)

Greetings,

I sent my application around March 3rd. on March 12, I received the e-mail with NOA received and that my application had been forwarded to the National Benefits Center. The e-mail mentioned that within 7-10 days I was going to receive form I-797 and that as soon as I received the letter I could go online and check my case status. It's been already a month since I received the letter and when I go online, my case still can't be found, however my main concern is that I've notice that some people have mentioned that they received an NOA from the NBC, I still haven't received anything from the NBC. should I be concerned that maybe my application got lost/misplaced when they forward it to the NBC? Has everyone received a notice from the NBC

Thanks,

Alex.

Hi everyone. I filed for my mom and it took the USCIS 2 months :mad: to send the approval notice to the NVC. I am still waiting for the letter but in the mean time i just want to gather the documents that My mom will need so we save some time. Since most of you are already past this point, maybe you can help me out. thanks.

- 11/19/12: I-130 Sent via USPS to Chicago
- 12/03/12: NOA Rec'd.
- 02/08/13: NOA 2 approved
- 04/08/13: NVC received the NOA ( No letter yet)

Hi Mara03,

I too sent I-130 for my mom on 10/10/2012 to Chicago lock-box. So far I only received the initial NOA (on 10/18/2012). Its been six months since the initial NOA and I am still waiting for the approval :-( I have no idea where it is getting processed.

• Do you know where your case was processed?
  • Seems like it took two full months for NVC to receive the NOA 2 approval. How did you come to know that NVC received NOA approval. Were you able to see this through online case status or may be received an email?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

If anyone else in this forum who is in the same boat as I am please share your case details.
Not sure how it would help but I am thinking to apply for a InfoPass. Anyone has done that?

Thanks
Manny11

Travel to the US while undergoing consular process

While my parents go through Consular processing in Mumbai, can they still travel to the US on their 10 year B1/B2 visa? Or is it not recommended?

Hi Mara03,

I too sent I-130 for my mom on 10/10/2012 to Chicago lock-box. So far I only received the initial NOA (on 10/18/2012). Its been six months since the initial NOA and I am still waiting for the approval :-( I have no idea where it is getting processed.

• Do you know where your case was processed?
  • Seems like it took two full months for NVC to receive the NOA 2 approval. How did you come to know that NVC received NOA approval. Were you able to see this through online case status or may be received an email?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

If anyone else in this forum who is in the same boat as I am please share your case details.
Not sure how it would help but I am thinking to apply for a InfoPass. Anyone has done that?

Thanks
Manny11

Manny11- whats your mom's status now? seems to be a long time for I130 approval, no?