I-130 for Consular Processing

Hi Foochow,
Wow..thats very comforting. I will call up and check if that is the same case with me. Can you please post what all documents you sent with DS230? Thank you for your post.

Just click on the link below, it has all the information you need. This link is good for everyone. It explains the NVC process. If you follow all the shortcuts and have all the documents you need to submit to NVC before your case reaches NVC. You're processing could be done in about 20 days when it reaches NVC.
Here is the Link:-
http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut#b._Send_your_IV_Package_.28USPS_Express_mail_gives_tracking_and_essentially_insures_delivery.29

hi every body
please f banna i have already sent a post but i have recieved no advice from any one in this forum i hope u ganna answer me this time
i said that my husband had sent I 130 for me in 18 of jun 2008 and they recieve it in 20 of jun 2008 and later on in 17 of december 2008 they send an email and mail my husband saiying that they send our case to california center and is pending now so whaen do u think they will send the aproval letter ? and what are the other instructions to follow later please advise me am fed up here i wanna join my darling
please can u or any one in this forum help me ?

Hello amouna
you see every case is different. one thing i have learned with dealing with immigration is you have to have patience and i mean a lot of it.
usually after they transfer the case to CSC they approve it with 3months unless their is problem with paperwork.
After that gets approved your case is forwarded to NVC. see my reply to dipalmodi just above this one. Follow the link in that reply. It helped me a lot.

Foochow,
How are you ? It is good to see you here again. I hope all your processes at NVC are going well.

My case was transferred to CSC together along with many more on Jan 14. I beleive yours was transferred on the same date. You were lucky enough to get yours approved by the end of January and My case still remains at CSC.

I know every case is different. However, the thing that annoys me is the fact that they touched my child's case on Feb 9 and 10, yet I have heard nothing from them - neither an approval nor a RFE. I am just shocked the way they are handling my case, because i filed for my wife and my infant together, both the applications got trasferred together,and after the tranfer they touched both the files until Jan 23 together. Then, there was no movement or touch until they touched only my child's case on Feb 9 and 10. Are they thinking that it is not my child? lol. That is very perplexing.

Is this normal ? Has anyone that visit these forum gone through experience similar to mine , or maybe know someone who has been through the same route ?

I am looking at the copy of what I have filed and don't see things missing to establish my relation with my spouse as well as my child. Moreover, both the times they touched my child's case, they did not touch the mother's application and that scared me for a while. I was thinking a RFE was on its way. But that was back in Feb 9 and 10, almost a month ago, yet I have recieved nothing. This is absolutely frustrating. I am wondering if they have lost my application. Do you think its possbile for them to lose my application?

I check my mail everyday very carefully. These days I have started wondereing if I inadvertently may have thrown away the letters from USCIS along with " Have you seen Me" fliers and similar sorta junk mails. but then again i have never missed out any correspondence from USCIS at my current address. I have been living here for the past three years.

Do you think it is a good idea to call them? Do i have to wait for six months before making phone calls ? Is there anyway I could talk to an IO in this case? Do you think thats a reasonable option ?

The reason I am freaking out is, those who got transferred with me ( as much as I know from the spreadsheets on VJ or here) have been approved but me.

Oh please!! I am in need of lots of advice, consolation or words of courage or whatever way anyone here could help me.

Thanks for reading my raves and rants.

My time line

sent to CHicago on Oct 27, 2008
NOA1- Nov 5
Trasnferred to CSC - Jan 14, 2009
touched - Jan 19, 22, 23 ( both applications)
touched again - Feb 9, 10 ( only Child's case )
NOthing after that.....
NOA2- Waiting

hi chakman
sorry to hear about your case. hopefully it will be approved soon. you can call them if u want. i don't think they will help u that much but still worth a shot.

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to petition my wife and my mom (via Consular Processing, they are both in the Phils.)after my citizenship process. As I have read here in the forum, petition is somehow more complicated than applying for a US Citizenship..
My question is, all in all, how much did you pay for all documents that you have submitted when you petition your spouse or mom?

I am consulting a lawyer and he is asking me to pay a US$ 2,000 for my wife and another US$2,000 for my mom.. I was thinking to get a lawyer if the costs that I will incur for the complete process will range from US$ 1,000 or more, if not, I will just do it on my own..

The only visible fees here is the I-130 amounting to US$ 355.00
what about the other docs like the visa fee etc?

Your soonest response is very much appreciated..

Follow up questions:

My interview for my naturalization will be on April 23, 2009
Recently, I read some forums about the UPGRADING I-130 from an LPR filer to a USC filer.
Since my interview is very near, do you think it will still be advisable to submit my petition now to my wife, or i'll just for my citizenship to be approved?
I want to be with her as soon as possible, but I dont want to complicate things that will result delays on my application..
is upgrading a complicated matter?

Please advise...

Thank you so much guys!

hi
first u have the 1-130 fees of $355 for each applicant
then after i-130 gets approved you have 2 fees totaling less than $500 for each applicant.
so you are looking at roughly about $850 for each applicant for the whole process plus the medical and country specific fees if their is any.

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to petition my wife and my mom (via Consular Processing, they are both in the Phils.)after my citizenship process. As I have read here in the forum, petition is somehow more complicated than applying for a US Citizenship..
My question is, all in all, how much did you pay for all documents that you have submitted when you petition your spouse or mom?

I am consulting a lawyer and he is asking me to pay a US$ 2,000 for my wife and another US$2,000 for my mom.. I was thinking to get a lawyer if the costs that I will incur for the complete process will range from US$ 1,000 or more, if not, I will just do it on my own..

The only visible fees here is the I-130 amounting to US$ 355.00
what about the other docs like the visa fee etc?

Your soonest response is very much appreciated..

Follow up questions:

My interview for my naturalization will be on April 23, 2009
Recently, I read some forums about the UPGRADING I-130 from an LPR filer to a USC filer.
Since my interview is very near, do you think it will still be advisable to submit my petition now to my wife, or i'll just for my citizenship to be approved?
I want to be with her as soon as possible, but I dont want to complicate things that will result delays on my application..
is upgrading a complicated matter?

Please advise...

Thank you so much guys!

You should wait until you become USC since it's just another month or two because sometimes upgrading it will causing issues such as they did not get upgraded or placed in a wrong category.

Back to your fees questions. Filing for consular processing is actually easier than AOS. You don't need a lawyer to do all this. These paperworks are so simple to understand and fill out. You'll have to file two I-130 $355 each
2 affividit of support, $75 each and two IV bill $400. I am not sure if you can file a single affividit of support but since it's only $75, filing two won't hurt you pocket much. You are looking at $1660 the max compared to the lawyer's $4000 and remember that the lawyer is only filling out the form for you and put his name down as the preparer and make inquires with USCIS/NVC for your case. Nothing else the lawyer will do for you unless you pay additional $$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foochow,
How are you ? It is good to see you here again. I hope all your processes at NVC are going well.

My case was transferred to CSC together along with many more on Jan 14. I beleive yours was transferred on the same date. You were lucky enough to get yours approved by the end of January and My case still remains at CSC.

I know every case is different. However, the thing that annoys me is the fact that they touched my child's case on Feb 9 and 10, yet I have heard nothing from them - neither an approval nor a RFE. I am just shocked the way they are handling my case, because i filed for my wife and my infant together, both the applications got trasferred together,and after the tranfer they touched both the files until Jan 23 together. Then, there was no movement or touch until they touched only my child's case on Feb 9 and 10. Are they thinking that it is not my child? lol. That is very perplexing.

Is this normal ? Has anyone that visit these forum gone through experience similar to mine , or maybe know someone who has been through the same route ?

I am looking at the copy of what I have filed and don't see things missing to establish my relation with my spouse as well as my child. Moreover, both the times they touched my child's case, they did not touch the mother's application and that scared me for a while. I was thinking a RFE was on its way. But that was back in Feb 9 and 10, almost a month ago, yet I have recieved nothing. This is absolutely frustrating. I am wondering if they have lost my application. Do you think its possbile for them to lose my application?

I check my mail everyday very carefully. These days I have started wondereing if I inadvertently may have thrown away the letters from USCIS along with " Have you seen Me" fliers and similar sorta junk mails. but then again i have never missed out any correspondence from USCIS at my current address. I have been living here for the past three years.

Do you think it is a good idea to call them? Do i have to wait for six months before making phone calls ? Is there anyway I could talk to an IO in this case? Do you think thats a reasonable option ?

The reason I am freaking out is, those who got transferred with me ( as much as I know from the spreadsheets on VJ or here) have been approved but me.

Oh please!! I am in need of lots of advice, consolation or words of courage or whatever way anyone here could help me.

Thanks for reading my raves and rants.

My time line

sent to CHicago on Oct 27, 2008
NOA1- Nov 5
Trasnferred to CSC - Jan 14, 2009
touched - Jan 19, 22, 23 ( both applications)
touched again - Feb 9, 10 ( only Child's case )
NOthing after that.....
NOA2- Waiting

I believe CSC has a wait time of 6 month whereas VSC is only one or two month.

Hi Foochow & Bestpal,

It looks like I got my own FREE lawyer here... :D

Thanks guys, you're right. I can save as much as $2,000 if I will just do it on my own.

VFS Chennai, India.

Hello,
My mother will be appearing at US consulate in Chennai. I am her agent and will be paying IV and AOS bill. My question is does anybosy have information about the process of VFS? How does that work or come into picture?

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello!
I am new to this blogging process but am very thankful I found it! I am happy to hear so many positive outcomes so quickly in some cases! I am a USC that is applying for my UK husband's I-130. I was living in the UK for 9 months an applied for the visa there and was denied(because I was not a permanent resident). I then hired a lawyer to help us out (only $600 cheap but reliable! I checked his background before I paid!). He told me that I had to come back to the US to file because of the rules against visitors filing in the UK. Even though I worked full time in the UK I was still considered a visitor because I was not there for two years. He also said if I was in the US working full time and had a home for my husband to come to it will help the processes. Thankfully, I was able to obtain a full time job with in a week that I moved back. Now we have mailed the documents and I can not wait to see what is going to happen! I hope it goes quick because I miss him so much and can not be away from him for much longer. We did a long distance relationship for 3 years before we married and it feels that it is harder now that it was 10 months ago.

Can not wait to keep ya'll informed and to see the others process!

I believe CSC has a wait time of 6 month whereas VSC is only one or two month.

Originally Posted by chakman
Thanks Bestpal.

Can you please cite your source of information . my head is spinning faster after reading your post

You can check the processing datelines here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for ther link Bestpal. You seem very knowledgable in Immigration matters.

However, when I chekced the link you provided, no where I saw VSC processing I-130 in 2-3 months and CSC in 6 months as you claimed. Both state their processing times to be 6 months making me wonder if we both are talking about the same kinda petition, i.e. I-130 ( USC filing for Spouse, children under 21 or Parents.)

I have called the customer service twice, and have recieved the standard reply of " your application is within our standard processing time which is , as listed on the website, six months. " If VSC were to complete the case in 2-3 months , I would have been done by now since my petition falls under VSC. I am on the EastCoast. They transferred my case to CSC after 2-3 months instead of completing the case. Now , you can cerainly argue that your wording is vague , becasue you stated " wait time", not "processing time" which would be very valid. However, taken in the context of immigration terms both the above words could mean "The processing time". Further it is easier to discern between the two words since you provided a link to the PROCESSING time of the Service Centeres. Dont you think ?

Anyways, it is fruitless to argue here over that, and I have no intention to divulge in such argument.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your willingness to help others by sharing your expereince. We all should. Yet, we need to be double sure before we make any statement. That is my perception.

Thank you again!!:)

I-130 petition for wife & mom, need show money or savings?

Hi again,

I heard from a friend that I need a show money or savings to be submitted to USCIS when petitioning my wife and mom. Is this true? If yes, how much should I show them?

For the past several months, my bank had an OVERDRAFT due to unexpected circumstances, do you think my bank statement (showing an overdraft) will affect my petition to them?

Its just now that my bank is stable (i got my tax refund that makes it better).

Please advise what to do.

Thanks a lot!

Police certificate

Hi All,
Is there any one on this board that knows whats the process for getting a police certificate from Mumbai, India. Any idea how much time it takes..

Thanks,
DipalModi

Originally Posted by chakman
Thanks Bestpal.

Can you please cite your source of information . my head is spinning faster after reading your post

You can check the processing datelines here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for ther link Bestpal. You seem very knowledgable in Immigration matters.

However, when I chekced the link you provided, no where I saw VSC processing I-130 in 2-3 months and CSC in 6 months as you claimed. Both state their processing times to be 6 months making me wonder if we both are talking about the same kinda petition, i.e. I-130 ( USC filing for Spouse, children under 21 or Parents.)

I have called the customer service twice, and have recieved the standard reply of " your application is within our standard processing time which is , as listed on the website, six months. " If VSC were to complete the case in 2-3 months , I would have been done by now since my petition falls under VSC. I am on the EastCoast. They transferred my case to CSC after 2-3 months instead of completing the case. Now , you can cerainly argue that your wording is vague , becasue you stated " wait time", not "processing time" which would be very valid. However, taken in the context of immigration terms both the above words could mean "The processing time". Further it is easier to discern between the two words since you provided a link to the PROCESSING time of the Service Centeres. Dont you think ?

Anyways, it is fruitless to argue here over that, and I have no intention to divulge in such argument.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your willingness to help others by sharing your expereince. We all should. Yet, we need to be double sure before we make any statement. That is my perception.

Thank you again!!:)

If my answer bothers you, then you already clarified it yourself by checking the dateline on the USCIS website. VSC used to processing I-130 in about 2-3 month...that's what others had said too and this is why I give you the link and you go check on it yourself so you can SEE if for yourself instead of listening what others saids. Fair enough?

LOL Bestpal, I did not expect that (reply) from you. No, atleast not from you. You have established yourself as someone who seems to know US immigration on this forum.

Ok let me explain,

First of all, I am bothered becasue the answer you provided is read by a lots of visitors, not just me. Millions of people who are eager to go throgh the US immigration system visit these sites, and any wrong information can cause unnecessary stress to people. Just hiding behind the screen and posting with a sudo identity does not mean we can be irresponsible of our expressions. Second thing, learn to take public forums as public forums becasue they are nothing but public forums. It does not help you in anyway when you start taking it personal. Third, if you make a mistake, oooops!! just acknowledge it. That makes you look better than to cover it up.

" VSC used to processing I-130 in about 2-3 month...that's what others had said too and this is why..." you know that is pure BS, right? It seems like you went through the same system as we did and now visit these forums to help others. I notice you have significant number of posts on your belt.

VSC had 2-3 months processing time for I-130 may be a long time ago, but not in recent years. You know that, right? That is why when I first saw your reply to me I wanted to see your source of information. I did not beleive you. Instead you provided the same old USCIS.gov link that many of us have been visiting for years - links to the processing times that alwyas seemed to get stuck at one point or other.

It has been only few weeks that USCIS posted the processing date of I-130 for VSC to be 6 months. My source is here ,http://www.visajourney.com/news/2009/02/25/uscis-processing-times-improve-for-form-i-130/ . Now, is that a credible source of information that I should pass along? I dont know. Have i verified the authenticity of the author? yes but at a cursory glance I cant find who is the author and his/her background in immigration matters.So I don't know, but it does seem to be truthful though when you match the inforamation provided there to the USCIS processing times. Dont you agree?

The fact of the matter is, CSC always has been faster in processing than VSC- even during the increased load of summer 2007. You can search for that on google with a text of " Is CSC faster than VSC" or something of that sort. However, not all search results are authentic and credible and we are dealing with one right here, right?

Further, I have been checking the USCIS site almost everyday since I filed my I-130, but can I prove it to you. No, I cant because I dont have a reliable way to put it. So I rather keep shut.

For someone like me your information did not make any difference nor does your comment above. I have no intentions to further this " your turn - My turn of posting" game. My humble opinion and request to those of us who think we know should not at any cost mislead anyone knowingly or unknowingly. That's all.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Take care.

LOL Bestpal, I did not expect that (reply) from you. No, atleast not from you. You have established yourself as someone who seems to know US immigration on this forum.

Ok let me explain,

First of all, I am bothered becasue the answer you provided is read by a lots of visitors, not just me. Millions of people who are eager to go throgh the US immigration system visit these sites, and any wrong information can cause unnecessary stress to people. Just hiding behind the screen and posting with a sudo identity does not mean we can be irresponsible of our expressions. Second thing, learn to take public forums as public forums becasue they are nothing but public forums. It does not help you in anyway when you start taking it personal. Third, if you make a mistake, oooops!! just acknowledge it. That makes you look better than to cover it up.

" VSC used to processing I-130 in about 2-3 month...that's what others had said too and this is why..." you know that is pure BS, right? It seems like you went through the same system as we did and now visit these forums to help others. I notice you have significant number of posts on your belt.

VSC had 2-3 months processing time for I-130 may be a long time ago, but not in recent years. You know that, right? That is why when I first saw your reply to me I wanted to see your source of information. I did not beleive you. Instead you provided the same old USCIS.gov link that many of us have been visiting for years - links to the processing times that alwyas seemed to get stuck at one point or other.

It has been only few weeks that USCIS posted the processing date of I-130 for VSC to be 6 months. My source is here ,http://www.visajourney.com/news/2009/02/25/uscis-processing-times-improve-for-form-i-130/ . Now, is that a credible source of information that I should pass along? I dont know. Have i verified the authenticity of the author? yes but at a cursory glance I cant find who is the author and his/her background in immigration matters.So I don't know, but it does seem to be truthful though when you match the inforamation provided there to the USCIS processing times. Dont you agree?

The fact of the matter is, CSC always has been faster in processing than VSC- even during the increased load of summer 2007. You can search for that on google with a text of " Is CSC faster than VSC" or something of that sort. However, not all search results are authentic and credible and we are dealing with one right here, right?

Further, I have been checking the USCIS site almost everyday since I filed my I-130, but can I prove it to you. No, I cant because I dont have a reliable way to put it. So I rather keep shut.

For someone like me your information did not make any difference nor does your comment above. I have no intentions to further this " your turn - My turn of posting" game. My humble opinion and request to those of us who think we know should not at any cost mislead anyone knowingly or unknowingly. That's all.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Take care.

I did went through the same system like many of you at this forum. I immigrated to the US as a child at age 10 with my parents and become US at age 20. I am now 34. I have no idea of how this system works until few years back. I gained some knowledge to some of these immigration issues when I petition my wife and now my wife is petition for her dad. I would say if you have time, go over to the USCIS.gov website and read over their information and materials..you should able to gain many knowledge of our immigration system and some of the laws.

I should say 99.9% of the people here giving advice to others are not immigratino lawyers nor they claimed to be an immigration expert. This is the main reason for others to correct them if the given information is incorrect. You are suppose to read the entire thread before making a decison.

and again, I am sorry if my answer bothers you but there isn't an exact dateline for all of us in this forum that we were able to obtain. It all depends on how fast USCIS can process their paperworks so even if you do see a dateline of 6 month..there's no guarantee that it will be proceseds on time. Even an immigration lawyer cannot give you an exact date. And again, my answer does not misleading people. It's just you making yourself too paranoid. and again, if you look at the OP of this thread..her I-130 at VSC was processed in 1 month..that was only like 6 month ago but now VSC is showing a dateline of 6 moth..so everytime you checked on their system, the dateline may changes from time to time. :D

that source is a creditable source..but you should verify them with https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp because only the dateline posted on the USCIS site is the correct up-to-date version. NVC also has datelines for IV, but if you are petition for your immediate relatives, there is no quota. It's just a matter of processing time.

Last edited by a moderator: