I-130 for Consular Processing

Hi fbanna79, I am filling DS230 for both my parents. Could you help me with these questions...
1) Do I need 2 of my birth and my marriage certificates. One for father application and one for mother?
2) Since, my parents marriage was registered recently. Do I need 2 affidavits (like was asked during I-130) for each case?
3) Is there a way to link the father and mother cases together?

Thanks

1- NVC usually treats each case individually, so you will likely be require to submit a copy of each document for each case.

2- I am not sure about that. i would do it to be on the safe side

3- I don't think that is possible. but, call NVC and ask. They may allow that.

fbanna,

Its different for each state. NJ has a law where any individual can buy insurance under the individual heath care plan. I got rates about 6 months ago, and it was about 600-700 for single person and about 1300 for husband / wife (i.e. both parents). The plans are different, but this range was giving good option of plans. If you are in NJ, here is the link -> http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_insurance/ihcseh/ihcmain.htm

Once your parents stay here for 5 years, they can become a citizen and then "buy" medicare. It will still be paid insurance as you need 40 credits in Social Security to get free (almost) medicare, but if you are a citizen, you can buy medicare plan (i.e. deal with govt instead of indipendent insurance companies).

i live in NJ and my company provides for the dependents as long as they are on my tax form (1040 in my case). In order to get them on tax form, the IRS needs that they stayed with me for atleast 6 months during the fiscal year (before Dec 31). so best time for mom to be here would be around June. If i can get her insurance for first 6 months, i will be ok to have her added to my insurance in 2010.

i really wanted to start this discussion. thx fbanna for bringing this up.

Hi Badprapan2,

May I ask what the online status of your case look like right now? I'm wondering
if they do better job on updating case status for this process than for N400 cases.

i live in NJ and my company provides for the dependents as long as they are on my tax form (1040 in my case). In order to get them on tax form, the IRS needs that they stayed with me for atleast 6 months during the fiscal year (before Dec 31). so best time for mom to be here would be around June. If i can get her insurance for first 6 months, i will be ok to have her added to my insurance in 2010.

You are so lucky. i will start thinking about switching to a company that offers such priviledge.

dfwikea,

don't worry the N400 status updates are horrible...mine still says it is awaiting processing for the past 1 year. I've already become a citizen, got my passport and been out of the country twice since then...

my I130 for my spouse is still not online yet...

Hi Badprapan2,

May I ask what the online status of your case look like right now? I'm wondering
if they do better job on updating case status for this process than for N400 cases.

dfwikea,

don't worry the N400 status updates are horrible...mine still says it is awaiting processing for the past 1 year. I've already become a citizen, got my passport and been out of the country twice since then...

my I130 for my spouse is still not online yet...

i have not checked my on-line status thus far... :)

You are so lucky. i will start thinking about switching to a company that offers such priviledge.

Yes, it depends on companies. my company provides insurance for domestic partner (even if not married ) and also "other adult dependent" for example your parents. however, the rule is they should stay with you and they should not have any other medicare benifits and you should have them on your 1040 as dependent. not so bad han?

however, i am facing one 'panga'. the enrollments open in Nov/Dec for the next year's benifits and i would not have the 1040 by then. can any one think of a workaround like if i can file my taxes early or something?

If you can't find any way to do so, you can buy a policy for them just for the 1st year from your local BCBS or Aetna. it doesn't hurt to spend a lot for just one year. BTW, i was told by my company that the only way i can add my mother to my policy is if the court names me as her legal guardian.

Does anyone has an idea how difficult it is to get such document ? How can someone qualify to need a legal guardian ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My parent's I-130 recently got approved. Can anybody tell me approximately how long its taking for Virginia residents to get 485 (or AOS) processed?
Thanks in advance

One of my NY resolutions is

to file GC for my Mother via CP.

I am going to File I-130 by first week of Jan 09 and hope everything will go smooth.

She has a visitor visa now valid for 10 yrs. if I start the GC process for my mother, can she still visit me using Vistor Visa?

With the hope that my mother's visa interview will be scheduled for February 2009, I have started to gather informations related to what may be required at the consulate overseas. I came accross the list of documents required for petitions filed in Nigeria, which gave me a lot of thoughts. The requiredf in Nigeria to submit secondary information to prove the relationship between tghe petitionner and the petitionnee. Even though my mother's interview will not be held in Nigeria, I have strated to question myself whether I should not prepare these secondary documentations.

The secondary documents requested in Nigeria is in Blue:

- If your visa application is based upon a marital relationship you may wish to bring any or all of the following to your interview:
PHOTOS OF YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE TAKEN BEFORE AND DURING YOUR MARRIAGE.
CORRESPONDENCE EXCHANGED BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE OR TO YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE FROM OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES OF ANY CHILDREN BORN OF THE MARRIAGE.
EVIDENCE OF JOINT BANK ACCOUNTS, LEASES OR MORTGAGES HELD
JOINTLY, LIFE AND MEDICAL INSURANCE POLICIES INDICATING
BENEFICIARIES, AUTO REGISTRATIONS SHOWING JOINT OWNERSHIP AND/
OR ADDRESSES, DRIVERS LICENSES OF BOTH SPOUSES, UTILITY BILLS
AND RENT RECEIPTS.
TAX RETURNS FOR THE PAST 3-4 YEARS.
- If your visa application is based on a relationship with a child, parent, or sibling you may wish to bring any or all of the following so your visa interview:
PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN OVER A PERIOD OF YEARS OF YOURSELF AND YOUR RELATIVE.
LETTERS, WITH ENVELOPES AND POST MARKS, EXCHANGED BETWEEN YOURSELF AND YOUR RELATIVE.
A CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR RELATIVES PASSPORT SHOWING THE
PICTURE PAGE, BIOGRAPHIC DATA PAGE, AND PAGES WITH STAMPS
INDICATING TRAVEL BETWEEN NIGERIA AND THE U.S.
TELEPHONE BILLS PROM YOUR RELATIVE SHOWING CALLS TO YOU IN NIGERIA.

Does anyone have an idea what may be asked during such an interview beside original of all documents and these secondary proof of relationship ? The ultimate proof I can think of is a DNA test. I hope not to have to do a DNA test for fianncial reasons.

Is an immigration visa interview outcome reversible ? Can it be appealed with additional evidence ? My mother was denied 3 times a visitor visa for no reason and I don't want to see this case denied by an officer who just doesn't feel like granting her a visa as it was for the 3 visitor visa trials.

Thanks

I believe she can. In fact, you can even file 485 instead of doing CP while she is in the U.S. This approach is supposed to be faster and has very high success rate.

to file GC for my Mother via CP.

I am going to File I-130 by first week of Jan 09 and hope everything will go smooth.

She has a visitor visa now valid for 10 yrs. if I start the GC process for my mother, can she still visit me using Vistor Visa?

With the hope that my mother's visa interview will be scheduled for February 2009, I have started to gather informations related to what may be required at the consulate overseas. I came accross the list of documents required for petitions filed in Nigeria, which gave me a lot of thoughts. The requiredf in Nigeria to submit secondary information to prove the relationship between tghe petitionner and the petitionnee. Even though my mother's interview will not be held in Nigeria, I have strated to question myself whether I should not prepare these secondary documentations.

The secondary documents requested in Nigeria is in Blue:

- If your visa application is based upon a marital relationship you may wish to bring any or all of the following to your interview:
PHOTOS OF YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE TAKEN BEFORE AND DURING YOUR MARRIAGE.
CORRESPONDENCE EXCHANGED BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE OR TO YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE FROM OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES OF ANY CHILDREN BORN OF THE MARRIAGE.
EVIDENCE OF JOINT BANK ACCOUNTS, LEASES OR MORTGAGES HELD
JOINTLY, LIFE AND MEDICAL INSURANCE POLICIES INDICATING
BENEFICIARIES, AUTO REGISTRATIONS SHOWING JOINT OWNERSHIP AND/
OR ADDRESSES, DRIVERS LICENSES OF BOTH SPOUSES, UTILITY BILLS
AND RENT RECEIPTS.
TAX RETURNS FOR THE PAST 3-4 YEARS.
- If your visa application is based on a relationship with a child, parent, or sibling you may wish to bring any or all of the following so your visa interview:
PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN OVER A PERIOD OF YEARS OF YOURSELF AND YOUR RELATIVE.
LETTERS, WITH ENVELOPES AND POST MARKS, EXCHANGED BETWEEN YOURSELF AND YOUR RELATIVE.
A CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR RELATIVES PASSPORT SHOWING THE
PICTURE PAGE, BIOGRAPHIC DATA PAGE, AND PAGES WITH STAMPS
INDICATING TRAVEL BETWEEN NIGERIA AND THE U.S.
TELEPHONE BILLS PROM YOUR RELATIVE SHOWING CALLS TO YOU IN NIGERIA.

Does anyone have an idea what may be asked during such an interview beside original of all documents and these secondary proof of relationship ? The ultimate proof I can think of is a DNA test. I hope not to have to do a DNA test for fianncial reasons.

Is an immigration visa interview outcome reversible ? Can it be appealed with additional evidence ? My mother was denied 3 times a visitor visa for no reason and I don't want to see this case denied by an officer who just doesn't feel like granting her a visa as it was for the 3 visitor visa trials.

Thanks

Sorry to know that your mom was denied visitor visa. However, they can not deny her greencard as you are a citizen. Legally, they can not. If they did you can sue them with the help of a lawyer. Contact Rajeev Khanna or Sheela Murthy. I know SM personally as I did my GC with her. She is very efficient with abnormal cases. I heard a lot of good words about Rajeev Khanna too.

Certified vs Original

I am doing CP for my parents. DS-230 requirement suggests sending the original or certified copied of the documents.
I am from India. it appears that the process of getting certified copy is no different than the original document? Could one send notorized copy of documents and then take original to the interview?

Please share what type of docs (original, certified or photocopy) is everyone else sending with DS230?

Thanks

I am nopt from India, but I sent certified copies of all documents, with the understanding that my mother will show up with all original documents on the interview day.

fbanna,
i read all ur posts regarding emailing the ds3032 but i did not find the email id we need to send it to. did u send it tp NVCINQUIRY@state.gov as posted in http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Email_DS-3032_form ?

unfortunately, i failed to find any information in the letter sent by NVC.

can i also mail the hardcopies instead of my mom? i think that should not create a problem. i read from your posts that you sent email, mailed a hard copy and also your mom too sent it. which one was processed? did they wait till they got it from your mom?

thx for your reply.

NVC is very flexible as far DS3032 is concerned.

I used these three methods and they were all accepted. The first one to be received was the paper copy that I filled in myself. When they received that, they generated the visa bill and sent it to me.

It took a week and half for the e-mail to be processed. They just replied saying that they already received the DS3032 and they have sent me the bill.

For the 3rd copy (the one sent by my mother) I was notified when I called once that they received a duplicate copy of DS3032 and that they were going to throw it away.

By the way, I was notified today that my mother's interview will be at 08:00 AM on February 03, 2009.

The e-mail address you show is the correct one.

Last edited by a moderator:
NVC is very flexible as far DS3032 is concerned.

I used these three methods and they were all accepted. The first one to be received was the paper copy that I filled in myself. When they received that, they generated the visa bill and sent it to me.

It took a week and half for the e-mail to be processed. They just replied saying that they already received the DS3032 and they have sent me the bill.

For the 3rd copy (the one sent by my mother) I was notified when I called once that they received a duplicate copy of DS3032 and that they were going to throw it away.

By the way, I was notified today that my mother's interview will be at 08:00 AM on February 03, 2009.

The e-mail address you show is the correct one.

Hi Fbanna,

Congrt. for your mother interview. It is indeed a good news. I applied for my parents too. Can you please tell me what is your district office/Service center because it is amazing that you got approval in two months. My service center is Vermont. Does the time frame for approval depand on the district office or service center. Please reply.