I-130 for Consular Processing

fabanna,
did you send originals with your ds-230? i mean police clearance etc? i am getting conflicting opinions..does ds-230 package specify what needs to be sent and if originals need to be sent?

Hi Fbanna,

Congrt. for your mother interview. It is indeed a good news. I applied for my parents too. Can you please tell me what is your district office/Service center because it is amazing that you got approval in two months. My service center is Vermont. Does the time frame for approval depand on the district office or service center. Please reply.

Vermon Service Center. generally, if you send everything pretty clean, USCIS approves the case in 1 to 2 months for parents.

fabanna,
did you send originals with your ds-230? i mean police clearance etc? i am getting conflicting opinions..does ds-230 package specify what needs to be sent and if originals need to be sent?

Sending originals to the NVC is a little dangerous as the documents can be lost in the mail. What i did is that i sent certified copies of all biographic documents (Birth certificate, Marriage certificate, etc ...) . At interview, all originals will be presented by my mother.

That is the safest way and it has been used by many other people that i know.

For police document only, i sent the original because it cannot be duplicated. my mother had established two copies of the police certificate and sent me one for NVC. in case NVC keeps the copy with them, she will be able to use the copy that she has.

well its great news. When I check the processing time for VSC it is saying Feb 2008 for processing date for immediate relative of USC. It is good to know that this is not correct. I send my case on 1/2/2009. Well I am gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that it gets approved quickly. Thanks for info

It will be approved by mid February, unless there is a request for further evidence. Petition for parents is approved much quicker than petitions for wifes annd son/daughters of USC.

It will be approved by mid February, unless there is a request for further evidence. Petition for parents is approved much quicker than petitions for wifes annd son/daughters of USC.

Thanks Fbnna. Again a great news. You have started a very good thread and is very helpful as many of us including myself not too familiar with the process can benefit from this. Good luck with your mother's interview.

Sending originals to the NVC is a little dangerous as the documents can be lost in the mail. What i did is that i sent certified copies of all biographic documents (Birth certificate, Marriage certificate, etc ...) . At interview, all originals will be presented by my mother.

That is the safest way and it has been used by many other people that i know.

For police document only, i sent the original because it cannot be duplicated. my mother had established two copies of the police certificate and sent me one for NVC. in case NVC keeps the copy with them, she will be able to use the copy that she has.

thanks for your quick and neat reply. you don't know how much i appreciate these forums at every stage of my processing.

btw, did u get the police clearance from local police only or from regional passport office? anyone from india, has seen anyone obtaining pcc from passport office? how does that work?

thanks for your quick and neat reply. you don't know how much i appreciate these forums at every stage of my processing.

btw, did u get the police clearance from local police only or from regional passport office? anyone from india, has seen anyone obtaining pcc from passport office? how does that work?

Someone from india may respond to that. In my Country, the police certicate (also called court certificate) is issued by the local judge. it lists any arrest, judgement, etc ......

For your case, you may want to ask someone from India.

I am not from India but according to this link provided by NVC (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3582.html), here is more info on police clearance (specifically for India);

Police Records

Indian Police Clearance Certificates should be obtained as follows:

* All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local Passport Office. These are usually more dependable than those obtained at a local level and indicate that the subject had no serious criminal convictions on record at the time of passport issuance. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the Passport Office Police Certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.
* Applicants over age 16, whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application, must also obtain a police clearance from the District Police Office serving the applicant's place of residence.
* Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.
* Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the District Police Station serving their area of residence.
* Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India.

Hi fbanna79,

I've followed your posts from the oath ceremony in Durham (i think) since October '08 and ended up here. I would like to thank "you" for sharing with us here. Normally, I just come and read about other people's cases without posting anything. However, I can somehow feel that people in this forum are sharing lots of good information and showing kindness and sympathy to one another.

I became USC in late Oct'08 (just on time for the Election..Yeh!) and am currently working on my mom's I-130 as well. Congratulations for your mom's interview schedule next month. Don't worry, they won't have any reason to deny her anymore! This is different than applying for a visitor visa and I understand why you feel worrisome. I believe the bottom line here is proving your (mother-daughter) relationship at an interview and this is why the secondary documents you mentioned earlier may help. For example, pictures of you and your mom together during various times (childhood to the most recent), letters, emails, or phone bills, etc., I think these documents are just for the peace of mind to prove your relationship when she is going to the interview. So, If it's not too much trouble for you, I think it's a good idea for your mom to have these documents [it will give her some confidences as well ;)]. Wish you the best!

I am not from India but according to this link provided by NVC (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3582.html), here is more info on police clearance (specifically for India);

Police Records

Indian Police Clearance Certificates should be obtained as follows:

* All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local Passport Office. These are usually more dependable than those obtained at a local level and indicate that the subject had no serious criminal convictions on record at the time of passport issuance. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the Passport Office Police Certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.
* Applicants over age 16, whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application, must also obtain a police clearance from the District Police Office serving the applicant's place of residence.
* Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.
* Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the District Police Station serving their area of residence.
* Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India.

hi chonty, welcome on board to participate fully (read + write).. :) thanks for the great info and link. infact, i searched country specific info and could not find it.

I found out some more information on police clearance from passport office.

we need to fill form1 available ( to download as well) from regional passport office. i will post more info as i get it done.

fbanna,
did u get the IV bill invoice in the mail? i just received an email from immigration that they have received my ds3032.

never mind fbanna. with the old invoice number (I854 bill) i logged in and found that there was a IV bill generated. i paid it today.

how long does it to get the ds230 package in mail after payment goes through?

Information will be very useful

I found out some more information on police clearance from passport office.

we need to fill form1 available ( to download as well) from regional passport office. i will post more info as i get it done.

Hi badprapan2,
That information will be very useful to people like me. I have petitioned for my parents in India.

Currently, I am trying to understand how my parents would go about getting the Police Clearance Certificate from passport office in India.

Thanks.

never mind fbanna. with the old invoice number (I854 bill) i logged in and found that there was a IV bill generated. i paid it today.

how long does it to get the ds230 package in mail after payment goes through?

They will not send you a DS230 package. You will have to print one online, print your document cover sheet after 2 to 3 days and send it to them along with the biographic documents.

When reviewed and every thing is OK, then they will set up the interview date for you.

You are getting close.

They will not send you a DS230 package. You will have to print one online, print your document cover sheet after 2 to 3 days and send it to them along with the biographic documents.

When reviewed and every thing is OK, then they will set up the interview date for you.

You are getting close.

thx..i am far from getting close... :) i stand no where in the world of document collection. my mom lives alone and none of my relatives understand abt immigration..:-( i have asked for a friends help and let us see how it goes..otherwise, i have 2 make a trip to india for document collection and another one to bring my mom here after the interview.

Hi badprapan2,
That information will be very useful to people like me. I have petitioned for my parents in India.

Currently, I am trying to understand how my parents would go about getting the Police Clearance Certificate from passport office in India.

Thanks.

sure i will keep u posted.

You are getting close.

They won't send you the DS230 package!??? I keep waiting on it :confused: I thought that you are supposed to send the DS230 and all documents in the envelope provided by the NVC. There was only one envelope I received with the DS3032 package and I have already used it to send out my I864 :rolleyes:. Hmmm..now what should I do.

They will send you a package with the DS230 bill and two enveloppes (One for payment and one for the documents). You don't have to wait for this package to send your documents in. You can pay online using the I-864 login infos and send the documents in a regular enveloppe with the document cover sheet after 2 to 3 days. You don't need to wait for the DS230 unless you are paying by money order which is a totally different long.

That is what I did. This is another shortcut.