I -130 Family Based Green Card

tw7861970

Registered Users (C)
hi
I applied for my brother I-130 about two years back except receipt of application there is no activity as of today.
I know it takes years to process the whole thing.
Some one in the similar dates or if some one has gone through the same process please post your experiences.
Thanks in advance for reading my post !!!

You should have had received an Approval in about 3-6 after filing and is then forwarded and stored at NVC until the PD becomes current.

Check the case status online at www.uscis.gov

It is not all that unusual for an F4 petition to be at the bottom of the pile since the wait for a visa is so long (9 to 23 years, depending on country). A longer wait for approval may be beneficial to your nieces and nephews in retaining a visa under CSPA in the future.

Check the case status online at www.uscis.gov

It is not all that unusual for an F4 petition to be at the bottom of the pile since the wait for a visa is so long (9 to 23 years, depending on country). A longer wait for approval may be beneficial to your nieces and nephews in retaining a visa under CSPA in the future.

Here is my timeline for the petition I filed for my brother.

June 18, 2010 : I -130 filed.

June 27, 2010 : I-797 NOA Reciept notice received on June 29, 2010.

August 29, 2010 : Recieved Approval notice, with notification that they are sending it to NVC.

Will probably hear something from NVC in 8-10 years I guess.
Make sure that it is on the bottom of the pile though by making a service request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Namecheckvictim : Wow - 2 months for Approval Notice. That's extraordinarily quick. My understanding is that Approval Notice will usually take a couple of years to come through. Here's my timeline:

Aug 1, 2010 : brother filed my I-130
Aug 13, 2010 : I-797 NOA

We have not received the Approval Notice yet. When I saw your post, I did some research and found this http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?297890-Received-Approval-Notice-I130-Sibling-Question
where TheRealCanadian says in #12: "About 2-3 years of waiting for approval.." (after the I-130 submission).

Wonder how come yours took so fast? Does it make any difference if the sibling being petitioned for is in the US? Since they are essentially performing a background check etc, obviously will take longer where he/she is living outside the US?

Hmm...anyone else here who has received Approval Notice for sibling so fast?

There is no security check for an I-130. All an I-130 does is establish a relationship. It provides no tangible benefit, just a place in line for a visa. When a person applies for the visa or greencard, THEN they get a background check for addmissibility as an immigrant.

"About 2-3 years of waiting for approval.." (after the I-130 submission). Wonder how come yours took so fast?

I'm still figuring this out myself, but this is the way I understand it.

When you submit your I-300 you get a Priority Date (PD), which around the date they received and acknowledged your application. e.g. Aug 13, 2010

This date is like a number for the line at a bank. Except that there is a different line for each immigration eligibility category (e.g. Family Second Preference (F-2) versus Family Third Preference (F-3) versus Employment-Based First Preference (EB-1), etc) and in many case for each country of origin.

So, in the F-1 line you may have Aug 13, 2010 but they are now serving June 17, 2010.

In the EB-5 line you may have Aug 13, 2010 but they are now serving Feb 2, 1994.

How many people in each line they serve each year is number fixed by law, except for a few unlimited categories like F-1.

Am I right?

Almost right.

The unlimited line is for "Immediate Relatives" (IR's) of a USC. (Those are spouse, parent or unmarried child under 21 years old.) Each one of those categories is actually defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) in section 101. Child has two definitions, one for Title II (Immigration) and Title III (Nationality).

Keep in mind that almost nothing in immigration and nationality law has a simple everyday meaning. There is probably a statute, regulation, or administrative or judicial precedent defining the meaning of almost any word in immigration and nationality law.

Read up on the visa categories at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5197.html

The INA, 8 CFR (regulations), Policy Memos, Interpretaions, Adjudicator's Field Manual, and USCIS AAO Administrative decisions are at www.uscis.gov

Board of Immigration Appeal (BIA) Decisions are at http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/lib_indecitnet.html

Good Luck,

Almost right.

The unlimited line is for "Immediate Relatives" (IR's) of a USC.

WOW! You're right, I didn't realize Family First Preference (FB-1) was limited!

"First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference."

It's weird that IR-N and FB-N have completely overlapping eligibility definitions.

[EDIT]
I think what tripped me up is that FB-1 information they usually bother to spell out stepchildren, but IR-2 definition they typically don't. But stepchildren are "children" for IR-2 eligibility.

So my stepson qualifies for IR-2 until he turns 21, after which he is stuck with FB-1.

Namecheckvictim : Wow - 2 months for Approval Notice. That's extraordinarily quick. My understanding is that Approval Notice will usually take a couple of years to come through. Here's my timeline:

Aug 1, 2010 : brother filed my I-130
Aug 13, 2010 : I-797 NOA

We have not received the Approval Notice yet. When I saw your post, I did some research and found this http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?297890-Received-Approval-Notice-I130-Sibling-Question
where TheRealCanadian says in #12: "About 2-3 years of waiting for approval.." (after the I-130 submission).

Wonder how come yours took so fast? Does it make any difference if the sibling being petitioned for is in the US? Since they are essentially performing a background check etc, obviously will take longer where he/she is living outside the US?

Hmm...anyone else here who has received Approval Notice for sibling so fast?

I thought it was normal to get a approval and then it sits and waits at NVC so i was not surprised when i got the approval, nevertheless whether it sits at NVC or USCIS it has to wait 8-10 years so i don't know if early approval is really a good news all i was trying to do was just get a PD.
BTW my I-130 went through CSC, you will be surprised to hear that a good friend of mine filed I-130 for his siblings at the same time and his I-130 was sent to VSC even though we live in the same area and he got his approved in 35 days.
With most of the people's experience CSC is the slowest one in sending approvals for I-130's.

I thought it was normal to get a approval and then it sits and waits at NVC so i was not surprised when i got the approval, nevertheless whether it sits at NVC or USCIS it has to wait 8-10 years so i don't know if early approval is really a good news all i was trying to do was just get a PD.
BTW my I-130 went through CSC, you will be surprised to hear that a good friend of mine filed I-130 for his siblings at the same time and his I-130 was sent to VSC even though we live in the same area and he got his approved in 35 days.
With most of the people's experience CSC is the slowest one in sending approvals for I-130's.

Yes, my case is handled by CSC. I read VSC is mostly assigned where the USC is currently living Canada and files I-130 through embassy there. I think you're very lucky anyhow because when I log in to the uscis website, they give you processing times and for the CSC office, the chart comes up as 49.7 months. Anyway, it's great you've got approval out of the way but I think the wait time for a visa to be available is still the same (9 years at the moment for F4).

Yeah there is no rhyme or reason that one I-130 goes to CSC and the other goes to VSC, mine went to CSC even though I live on the east coast.

Sometimes USCIS redistributes heavy workloads to other offices with less work. It's simply a business practice.

August 29, 2010 : Recieved Approval notice, with notification that they are sending it to NVC.

Make sure that it is on the bottom of the pile though by making a service request.
Have you received any thing since 2010 I am in the same boast applied for my bro in 2009 approved and application sitting with NVC since 2009. I appreciate hearing from you

You should have had received an Approval in about 3-6 after filing and is then forwarded and stored at NVC until the PD becomes current.

Yes i got approval and application is with NVC sinec 2009 not sure what is next if some one got any response back since 2009

Have you received any thing since 2010 I am in the same boast applied for my bro in 2009 approved and application sitting with NVC since 2009. I appreciate hearing from you

Guys F4 for siblings is only current to July 2006, you have a few years yet before any action takes place.