I-130 ,485 pending,Questions on GC

lovenpeace

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I was on F1 when we married in Sep2008.My husband (a US Citizen) and I filed for I-130,I-485 in Nov'08 .(My F1-OPT status expires on May31'09).
I had my biometrics/fingerprints done in Dec'08.We sent the RFE(I-864) to USCIS Missouri in Feb2009.I received my EAD and Travel authorization in May but there is no news on I-485 or I-130.I called the USCIS customer service in March was advised to wait 90days to receive a notice form them on my application.I called again yesterday,and they dont have any info on my 130 or i-485.I was wondering how long would it to take to receive my temporary GC and When will I be asked for an interview.Can anybody advise on what the interview questions would be..I know most of the documents to carry to interview but since I am not being represented by any lawyer,....any info would be helpful.

Thank you.

Calling will NOT help. You'll talk to clerk who has as much info as you (basically they have no access to any data). If you really worried do Infopass.

does not really sound out of processing timeframes.

if you did not have an initial interview yet, they may just want to get some evidence and will be asking about that on your initial interview which most likely may come around 1 year from the moment you sent initial package, or the last RFE.

just make sure you and your spouse are on the same page what you are sending, just to make sure you ask the same story regarding your bios etc.

infopass

Thanks kittenkat and Daniel.

I guess I need to wait out until I hear from USCIS..The nearest Infopass is 2hrs drive from my place.I was wondering if Infopass officials will provide me more/extra info on my status other than the general/repitative info I usually read online...(so as to save my time)

Thanks

to save your time call the info line. but dont talk with "the front" since those people see even less than you can. just tell them you talked with IO a week ago and they told you to call back, she will switch you then to a real IO that has an access to the mainframe and can do and see way much more. I mean, its not nice to lie, but I did really talk with IO on the line and they asked me to call back after 2 wks and ask for IO to be transferred.
IOs on the infoline are located in Washington and are real officers and can get real answers.
Mine got me on hold for 5 minutes (which I did not mind :) ) and called my local USCIS office to find out whats going on. Came back with new answers that "came out" to me in an official uscis mail two weeks later; it just showes me she could get in touch with a local office and find out more using her official grade.

just my experience here.

Got my interview letter

Hey guys,
Looks like I donot have to make an Infopass Appt.yet.I finally received the letter from USCIS ,asking us to come for the interview in July.Now,I am a li'l worried about few documents to show to them.My husband doesnot have a birth certificate but has a naturalization certificate.The letter asked me to bring along all documents related to my I-485.Do I need to take the photocopies of the documents I sent already to them such as sponsor's documents (my brother is co-sponsoring me..I-864)..the bank statements,tax returns,etc..etc.
Could you wise people advise me on what kind of questions they may ask of us..?What can we expect?I may sound a li'l paronoid but Do they particularly pay attention to how we both look /behave as a couple(I am asking this because my husband hates wearing a wedding ring.He is allergic to metals and strictly says NO to any jewelry on him).
Any thoughts on this would be great!..thank you...

Last edited by a moderator:
I also spoke with an IO and he told me that i will receive an update by mail regarding my applications with 30 to 45 days.

Hey guys,
Looks like I donot have to make an Infopass Appt.yet.I finally received the letter from USCIS ,asking us to come for the interview in July.Now,I am a li'l worried about few documents to show to them.My husband doesnot have a birth certificate but has a naturalization certificate.The letter asked me to bring along all documents related to my I-485.Do I need to take the photocopies of the documents I sent already to them such as sponsor's documents (my brother is co-sponsoring me..I-864)..the bank statements,tax returns,etc..etc.
Could you wise people advise me on what kind of questions they may ask of us..?What can we expect?I may sound a li'l paronoid but Do they particularly pay attention to how we both look /behave as a couple(I am asking this because my husband hates wearing a wedding ring.He is allergic to metals and strictly says NO to any jewelry on him).
Any thoughts on this would be great!..thank you...

Don't want to scary you, but absence of BC CAN be a problem. I believe on this forum the couple was given RFE at the interview to send one in. But on another forum the hubby only had copy (lost the original), but they never were asked about the original (were approved).

Also, IL should say to make copies, right? If so just go ahead and do them. I believe they have the complete package, so it sounds pretty funny to me as well, but... They rule.

As for rings and things.... From what I was told (and yes, it's more like other people opinions) it DOES matter how you look and behave. Both of you. Because they are checking bona fida marriage. So absence of the ring may cause questions from IO.

birth certificate

Hey guys,
thanks for the replies..My husband says that the naturalization certificate serves as a birthcertificate too...is he right?( usuallly he has no clue on paperwork..I did all the filing) I want to make sure we dont give the IO any opportunity to raise questions..
thanks

Being honest with you - don't know. I remember for sure someone's wife from India got RFE on the interview for BC even though she had a certificate. Is your hubby american by birth?

Yes, the best policy with CIS is to close any door for extra-questions. :) And be prepared!

Good luck!

Birth certificate

Hey Kitten kat,
My husband was born in Korea and naturalized in US.He lost his BC ages ago and has no family in the US or in Korea to help us.

When I ordered for a replacement of his Naturalization Certi.,it took almost 6months for the USCIS to send a copy.

So,I am ..kindda worrying a lil bit..

Thanks again,
Tina

Tina, did you try to contact Korean Embassy? I'd do that "just in case". My country embassy takes care of such things. I'd suggest to go to the interview without one and honestly explain if this question will pop up (IO may not even ASK for BC from what I was told by plenty of marriage-based people). If you have bunch of other proves for the relation you'll be OK! :)

IO never asked for my husband's BC during the interview. She did however ask for his naturalizaton certificate.

Interview questions

Hey LucyMO,
I was wondering if you remember any of the questions asked to you or your husband by the IO....It would be helpful to have an idea on how the interview process looks like..
Thanks
Tina

Tina, did you try to contact Korean Embassy? I'd do that "just in case". My country embassy takes care of such things. I'd suggest to go to the interview without one and honestly explain if this question will pop up (IO may not even ASK for BC from what I was told by plenty of marriage-based people). If you have bunch of other proves for the relation you'll be OK! :)

Not yet KittenKat,
But thanks for suggesting..I will contact the Korean embassy,I hope they can help people with no records of birth,family ...whatsoever

I would suggest taking a Infopass Appointment at the USCIS Office and request a status on the pending application.

Whoever told you to bring your husband's birth certificate was thinking along the lines of him being a born American. As a naturalized citizen, his birth certificate is not important for the interview, his naturalization certificate is.

Hello,
Sorry ,I am diverting from my original topic of discussion but the problem I am facing is far more complicated.Just to give you an idea..here is my complete story ..........PLEASE ADVISE.......Thank YOU

I was on F1 until I got married to my USC husband in 2008.We filed for I-485,I-130 etc..and I got my EAD last month and our interview is in July.Now, the problem..my husband and I have been having problems since marriage but its gotten so worse that we cannot stand each other anymore.I thought he married me bcoz he loved me and he said so but now he snaps at me at every word I say.Last year he forced me to abort because he got so worked up about the pregnancy and I complied to save my marriage.Last week ,I was 9weeks pregnant when I had a miscarriage and he has not shown any remorse let alone accompany me to the ER/hospital.His mean,selfish nature and these events have killed my spirit leaving me miserable and alone.
I am now thinking of divorcing him to avoid verbal,emotional abuse and depression.But I am worried about my status.I want to stay and settle in this country because there is too much my family and I have invested in my studies etc..and I donot want to let this marriage fail me in having a career.I am not sure if he will be willing to accompany me to the AOS interview in July.Even if he does come along,I am worried his behaviour/distant attitude towards me will raise questions in the IO's mind.
What can I do to have my GC ?I understand that divorce during/after pending I-485 will cancel my temporary GC.My brother ( a GC holder) had co-sponsored on I-864 along with my husband.Can I redo GC process after divorce and with the help of my brother's sponsorship?How long will it take?What are the things I should reconsider before I can decide for sure on divorce?what are my rights?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your brother can't sponsor you until he becomes USC. Even then, you can't do AOS.
You can hope to get a H1B visa or get married with someone else.

I was on F1 until I got married to my USC husband in 2008.We filed for I-485,I-130 etc..and I got my EAD last month and our interview is in July.Now, the problem..my husband and I have been having problems since marriage but its gotten so worse that we cannot stand each other anymore.I thought he married me bcoz he loved me and he said so but now he snaps at me at every word I say.Last year he forced me to abort because he got so worked up about the pregnancy and I complied to save my marriage.Last week ,I was 9weeks pregnant when I had a miscarriage and he has not shown any remorse let alone accompany me to the ER/hospital.His mean,selfish nature and these events have killed my spirit leaving me miserable and alone.

Unfortunately you won't be able to get any status (unless you'll get H1 or transfer back to student visa). You can still go to the interview and divorce after you get conditional GC and then try to remove conditions yourself (considering your marriage was bona fida in the beginning). I believe there is also something about applying for GC yourself if there is an abuse from husband's side (experts, please correct me if I'm wrong), but I know for sure for that one you need REAL proves (like he beat you and it was registered in police report and so on).