How to delay I-485 approval before marriage

delhi2dallas

Registered Users (C)
I intend to marry in Oct-Nov (considering that I have to look for a bride in India). Since all EB2 and EB3 categories are current, my lawyer tells me if you dont file in July, the dates will be retrogressed.

Is it possible to file I-485 in July and then delay the process making sure in some way so that I-485 doesnot get approved early by accident.

Is not going to Fingerprinting an option? Would they reject the application?

I intend to marry in Oct-Nov (considering that I have to look for a bride in India). Since all EB2 and EB3 categories are current, my lawyer tells me if you dont file in July, the dates will be retrogressed.

Is it possible to file I-485 in July and then delay the process making sure in some way so that I-485 doesnot get approved early by accident.

File I485. Do not delay for the reason you mentioned. you will find out one or another way later but if you miss to file I485 you can't do any thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is very slim chance that cases will be approved nefore Oct or Nov. Even then if you want to delay
Do not send Medical reports or birth Certificate. That way you will get an RFE.

I intend to marry in Oct-Nov (considering that I have to look for a bride in India). Since all EB2 and EB3 categories are current,

my lawyer tells me if you dont file in July, the dates will be retrogressed.
------------------- is it better to file your I-485 EAD and AP, nobody knows till what date PD for all will be current, dont take the chance and file I-485, FYI your I-485 may take more than 6 months for approval USCIS is going to get many I-485 filed and I dont think they are going to approve in 6 months and also expect cut off dates after August/September
------------------- file the I-485, one can delay the I-485 and USCIS is going to delay the processing of I-485

Remain on H1 status so that you can bring your spouse on H4. File H1 extensions on time

I'm in the same boat. This is my plan to buy 9-12 months before 485 gets approved.
- File 485 w/o birth certificate
- Right now, they are processing Oct 06 filings. That gives atleast 6 months
- Once the application is picked, you will get a RFE for birth certificate. You have 3 mos to respond to a RFE

Thats 9 months for sure. It might exceed as I plan to file last week of June which should extend that as well. First 3 weeks of June, lotta 485's must have been filed. This timespan should be good enough runway.

Sorry, guys, I'm in the same boat -- just wanna make sure I understand it right... Does it mean I can apply for my I-485 in July (when my PD becomes current) then get married (I plan to do it in August) and apply for my wife's I-485 separately?

My Dear Freinds:

Trust me, as uncanny as it may sound but I hate to disappoint you that you are not going to get a GC in a hurry. Dates will retregress in Sept/Oct and there is no way any Jul 2007 applications will be processed when people from 2003-2004 are still waiting and in fact fearing what will happen with a flurry of 200k something expected I485 filling during July.

After 5 years of waiting I was lucky to get my GC last week. Trust me, if you really want to wish for something wish for faster approval as I know you would soon be doing that, come some steep expected retrgression.

Get married, yes but getting married in a hurry may be more painful in a long run :)

I have a similar situation, but my concern is whether or not the H4 for the spouse will get rejected, since we here on H1 have applied for permanent residency and H4 is a non-immigrant visa. So could the immigration officer there reject the H4 application for my wife just based on the fact that I have applied (not approved) for 485 (immigrant status).

Any thoughts ??

Thanks

I have a similar situation, but my concern is whether or not the H4 for the spouse will get rejected, since we here on H1 have applied for permanent residency and H4 is a non-immigrant visa. So could the immigration officer there reject the H4 application for my wife just based on the fact that I have applied (not approved) for 485 (immigrant status).

Any thoughts ??
----------------------US consulate is not going to reject her H4 visa stamp based on your I-485 filing.

Thanks
those who talk about sending I-485 with missing documents to delay the I-485 need to read update from USCIS:

From Matthew Oh, Attorney at Law

06/17/2007: Flexible RFE/NOID Response Rule and Advisory for July EB-485 Filing

As we advised earlier, the USCIS published a new rule that allows the USCIS to have more discredtion and control over the two issues: One is shortening of the timeframe for responses to RFE from previous 12 weeks to any period of time which they see fit. The second rule is their authority to either reject or deny petitions or applications without issuing RFE where "initial evidence" is missing in the filing. Previously, the so-called Yates memo indirectly required the agency to avoid rejection and denial with a recommend to issue RFEs as much as possible. This part of the Yates memo is overridden by the new rule who took effect yesterday, June 16, 2007. It is thus likely that the Service Centers will more aggressively reject or deny the I-485 applications where the "initial evidence" are missing in the filing packet. It is thus very important that people understand the definition of "initial evidence." The initial evidence varies between the nonimmigrant and immigrant proceedings and for that matter, each type of proceedings. The immigration regulation lists in details the initial evidence. However, the instructions sheets to each petition or application lists the initial evidence that are required for filing. Accordingly, beginning from today, people may want to read the instruction sheet for I-485 form carefully to learn the list of initial evidence and not to miss omitting these evidence in filing I-485 applications.
One of the initial evidence which is listed is the sealed I-693, the Medical Examination results completed and sealed by the USCIS designated civil surgeons who examined the applicants per the immigration rules. As we reported yesterday, attorneys asked the USCIS authorities to accept I-485 applications without the medical result, but their answer was that they were taking it under advicement but as it stands now, the sealed medical report would be required as initial evidence, accoring to the USCIS authorities who were present at the AILA Annual Conference in Orlando. We understand that in some areas, there are a huge backlog in the physician's clinics for such medical examination. However, people can shop around the authorized physicians in much broader areas. For instance, people usually were asked to schedule such medical examination in the local "district" office where the applicants resided. The definition of "district office" has been broaden lately. Former district offices have been turned into field offices of a district office. Accordingly, people can schedule the medical examination through a physician located outside of their residence if the area falls under the jurisdiction of "district" even if it is outside the jurisdiction of "field office."

From Matthew Oh, Attorney at Law

06/17/2007: Flexible RFE/NOID Response Rule and Advisory for July EB-485 Filing

As we advised earlier, the USCIS published a new rule that allows the USCIS to have more discredtion and control over the two issues: One is shortening of the timeframe for responses to RFE from previous 12 weeks to any period of time which they see fit. The second rule is their authority to either reject or deny petitions or applications without issuing RFE where "initial evidence" is missing in the filing. Previously, the so-called Yates memo indirectly required the agency to avoid rejection and denial with a recommend to issue RFEs as much as possible. This part of the Yates memo is overridden by the new rule who took effect yesterday, June 16, 2007. It is thus likely that the Service Centers will more aggressively reject or deny the I-485 applications where the "initial evidence" are missing in the filing packet. It is thus very important that people understand the definition of "initial evidence." The initial evidence varies between the nonimmigrant and immigrant proceedings and for that matter, each type of proceedings. The immigration regulation lists in details the initial evidence. However, the instructions sheets to each petition or application lists the initial evidence that are required for filing. Accordingly, beginning from today, people may want to read the instruction sheet for I-485 form carefully to learn the list of initial evidence and not to miss omitting these evidence in filing I-485 applications.

One of the initial evidence which is listed is the sealed I-693, the Medical Examination results completed and sealed by the USCIS designated civil surgeons who examined the applicants per the immigration rules. As we reported yesterday, attorneys asked the USCIS authorities to accept I-485 applications without the medical result, but their answer was that they were taking it under advicement but as it stands now, the sealed medical report would be required as initial evidence, accoring to the USCIS authorities who were present at the AILA Annual Conference in Orlando. We understand that in some areas, there are a huge backlog in the physician's clinics for such medical examination. However, people can shop around the authorized physicians in much broader areas. For instance, people usually were asked to schedule such medical examination in the local "district" office where the applicants resided. The definition of "district office" has been broaden lately. Former district offices have been turned into field offices of a district office. Accordingly, people can schedule the medical examination through a physician located outside of their residence if the area falls under the jurisdiction of "district" even if it is outside the jurisdiction of "field office."

I'm in the same boat. This is my plan to buy 9-12 months before 485 gets approved.
- File 485 w/o birth certificate
- Right now, they are processing Oct 06 filings. That gives atleast 6 months
- Once the application is picked, you will get a RFE for birth certificate. You have 3 mos to respond to a RFE

Thats 9 months for sure. It might exceed as I plan to file last week of June which should extend that as well. First 3 weeks of June, lotta 485's must have been filed. This timespan should be good enough runway.

oops, with the latest news.. thats a bummer. the 9-12 months gap vanishes in a wink. Does anybody have suggestions on how else to delay? Ginnu, your thoughts.

my concern is whether or not the H4 for the spouse will get rejected, since we here on H1 have applied for permanent residency and H4 is a non-immigrant visa. So could the immigration officer there reject the H4 application for my wife just based on the fact that I have applied (not approved) for 485 (immigrant status).

Read up on dual intent. The H-visa specifically allows immigrant intent, as does the L.

with the new rule effective now, you can still do these

oops, with the latest news.. thats a bummer. the 9-12 months gap vanishes in a wink. Does anybody have suggestions on how else to delay? Ginnu, your thoughts.

1. not include birth certificate (you should try your best to send 693 along with 485 now)
2. reschedule fp

please add.

Alright guys,
I thought I would provide my input to everyone trying to find a bride so that they can get her a GC with them... Good idea... Remember the famous quote from Tony Montana - "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."

So getting your GC w/o delay will hopefully get you the power you need and the women shall follow.... brothers, when life is turning, you'd better turn with it or you'll be left behind....
just my two cents....keeping it humorous...
yes I am SINGLE!! And have NO intent of delaying my I-485 based on getting a lady to marry...!!! What you guys say!!??

hey guys,

I am actually worried that I hear that it can take so long to get the I-485 approved.
Let me ask the other question: what is the fastest way to get the I-485 if you are not from a retrogressed country?

One thread above said that it is even better to submit the I-485 before the last week of June, rather than the last week of June. Is that right?
Are there many new I-485 expected in July, and does that mean that I should file my I-485 immediately?
Thanks!
AGM6

There is very slim chance that cases will be approved nefore Oct or Nov. Even then if you want to delay
Do not send Medical reports or birth Certificate. That way you will get an RFE.

Before you start deliberately not providing required evidence, you better read this posting on www.immigration-law.com.

06/17/2007: Flexible RFE/NOID Response Time Rule and Advisory for July EB-485 Filing

Should I-485 even be filed - risk vs reward

Some people are saying here, go ahead and file I-485 even if you
are not married.

I was told by a friend that if my spouse arrives in USA (expected
Dec07), the retrogression wouldnot allow her to File I-485 until
Jan06 becomes current. Since I-485 wouldnot be filed, she would
not be able to get EAD to work in USA.

I checked on another forum, that adviced not to use EAD for myself
while I-485 is pending because a denial on I-485 will force me to
leave the country. And because I-485 could be denied if I am not
working for my H-1 employer.

Risk: If early approved, spouse will have to wait for 4-5 yrs outside USA.

Then may I ask the experts, is filing for I-485 in July07 makes sense?
or should I file after I get married, whenever the dates become
current for Jan06.

Please advice + educate me if I am missing something?

Thanks

backup plan

My backup plan:
I talked to a lawyer, he suggested postpone your fingerprinting appointment by as much as two months, and If they donot reschedule it by a month or so even upon request, then not show up on the appointment. The lawyer said, they might deny the I-485 in that case.

If that happens, I will file the I-485 again when I am married and dates are current.

The backup plan will depend on how much retrogression is happening until fingerprinting date and then decide whether to show up for the fingerprinting or not.

Any suggestions on this?