How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself

ajayksr: Apply for an visa extension as soon as possible, if it gets denied she must leave the county. Staying with expired B2/I-94 makes your parents later inadmissible to enter the country, so later filling for waivers might be much longer and painful procedure than you can imagine!

jaqm: if you did not list them as your kids in the application, this might be considered fraud, unless you can prove it as a mistake. Find an attorney before you began the process. If you want to go with a cheaper attorney try usaimmigrationsupport.com - 866 558 3334, or you may try to go with expensive but very good attorney - Carl Shusterman 213 623-4592. Good luck.

Do you think USCIS will reject my application? or will this affect my petition BIG time?
Please lemme know if you have any idea on this.

Thanks alot!

As you can see I just submitted my application to USCIS last month and I just realized that in part 1 of form I-485 Where is say Current USCIS Status i put NIV OVERSTAYED by error was a misunderstanding, I dont now what to do? i should send them a Rectification letter? What i should put there?, B2 overtayed, Visitor, out of status...?

They send me I-797C, Receipt Notice for my I-485 and the appointment for my biometric taken.

Married to USC.

Do you think USCIS will reject my application? or will this affect my petition BIG time?
Please lemme know if you have any idea on this.

Thanks alot!

whatever you put doesnt matter, they will verify!!! as far as you enter legally means on visa, you are ok, even you overstay because you are married to USC.

hi,
I'm married to a US citizen and i'll apply for the change of status. I was on H1B and applied for my I485 through compnay 3 years ago. When I'm filing the I485 thriough my wife.. THe form asked about the I-94 number and then current USCIS status expires, I didnt travel out side US after 2001 so my original I-94 expires but when I recieved my H1 it came with I-94 . So my question is what[s the espiration date for I-94. I dont have the current one since I applied for I485 and I have Advance paroel and EAD. Should I write the espiry date of EAD in the form.. please help..
Also i;'m planning to travel to on Advance parole on my previous application beofre applying for I485 through my wife. Is there any documnets or letter I should keep apart from Advance parole and EAD.

Thanks in advance

Please post your AOS interview timeline even if you have attended the interview so that others waiting can get an idea of how long it would take for their turn

Give these timeline trackers a try.

Quick Look:

New to Immigration?
1. USCIS Website
2. USCIS Abbreviations and Lingo ==> here
3. NBC: National Benefits Center: FAQ
4. What is the LockBox ?
5. Department Of State Visa Bulletin

Getting Ready to File?
1. USCIS Official Forms and Fees ==> here
2. Editable USCIS PDF forms: ==> here (thanks Piyalove!) (use at your own risk)
3. Sample cover letters are attached with this post. Modify to suit your requirement. Always check USCIS website for correct fees.
4. FAQ: I-693 - Medical Examination. Look==>here
5. Ready for your medical? Find a Civil Surgeon ==> here
6. General information on immigration forms ==> here
7. General assembling instructions for your AOS package ==> here and here
8. Not sure if you should submit original or photocopy of a document? Look ==> here
9. Not sure where to send your completed application? Look ==> here
10. Which Service Center does what? Which USCIS office handles what applicaitons? ==> here

After You File:
1. Got your receipt numbers? Check your case status online ==> here
2. What do ASC Codes on your NOA mean?
3. What do USCIS case status messages mean?
4. EAD approval timeline: ==> here.
5. AP Usage Statistics ==> here
6. Planning a visit to your DO? Get INFOPASS appt ==>here
7. Got your EAD and dont have SSN? You can apply ==> here
8. Moved to a new address? Look here

Getting ready for your AOS interview?
1. MUST READ: Interview FAQ. Attached with this post. (Thanks Spaceman!)
2. AOS Interview Experiences: ==> here

Stuck in FBI namecheck/background check/security check?
1. FBI NameCheck Threads ==> 1, 2, 3

General Reading

1. For a list of codes related to "Class of Admission", look at attached document
2. I-485-Standard Operating Procedures(PDF) ==> here
3. Delays in issuing SSNs to aliens by the Social Security Administration ==> here
4. Last Name First, No Joking Matter! Read ==> here
5. Visa Reciprocity and Country Documents Finder ==> here
6. Are you out of status? ==> Look here

this is one of the best post in this site, this is all you need to fill your application,we all say thanks.

Hi,

I am applying for AOS (from F-1). My passport is to expire in mid June. Do I have to re-new my passport before applying for AOS? The problem is that it might take quite a while before getting the new passport. I read the documents and didn't find anything about how long your passport is required to be valid.

Thanks very much

Hi,

I am applying for AOS (from F-1). My passport is to expire in mid June. Do I have to re-new my passport before applying for AOS? The problem is that it might take quite a while before getting the new passport. I read the documents and didn't find anything about how long your passport is required to be valid.

Thanks very much

I don't think INS cares about the passport at all. You only need to submit a copy of the visa page and I-94.

I-90

Green card lost in the mail - I sent the I-90 more than a week ago and it was delivered to the USCIS Phoenix lockbox... How long does it take them to process this and do I need to do the biometrics again? Anyone? Thanks!

First of all, I would like to introduce myself, EDDIE. This is my first few posts on the forum as I am wanting to begin the process of getting my future wife citizenship in the US. I do appreciate you guys time and will do my part in helping myself and others the best I can.

My future fiance/wife FABIOLA, 25yrs old, is a Mexican citizen and I, EDDIE, 22yrs old, am a US citizen.
We are currently both here in Mexico right now living (I am on my tourist visa FMT). We want to know the BEST way to go about getting married and legalizing her so we can start our life in the US. We have heard it is possible for her to go to the states with her visa and we get married before it expires and then she would overstay her visa and we would file for her to become legal in the US. Is it easier and less complicated to just get married here in the states or Mexico? Also, I was wondering if it's cheaper altogether (the whole process) to do it from Mexico or to be in the states? We want to weigh out our options...the least complicated way possible!

If anyone could PLEASE help us out, we would really appreciate it. Time is not a huge factor for us but we would like to be in the US ASAP, us three as a family. I know costs/fees will be higher in the US rather than in Mexico so we were thinking it would be better in Mexico to get married and start the process. DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND US GETTING MARRIED IN THE US OR MEXICO?

We do not really want to hire a lawyer because I know almost everything that a lawyer would know and not to insult their intelligence, I just don't think it will be all necessary to spend the money for one because of high costs.

Also, if anyone can share more information on each step of the process that we will need to know until she gets her citizenship and we all 3 are settled in the states.

Approximately how much would it be altogether if we did it in Mexico & in the US?
And about how long would this whole process take til we are able to live in the US?

Key Notes, I DONT KNOW IF THIS AFFECTS ANY OF THE PROCESS OF PAPERWORK/LEGALITY:
- We have a 1yr old boy who was born in Mexico. (He should automatically be a US citizen after i file for his paperwork in May)
- She used to live in the states for 7yrs, in which she obviously overstayed her visa back in the day. She left back to Mexico around when she finished HighSchool and has been living in Mexico ever since. She has had her visa and is able to go back and forth from the states when she wants to see her family in Texas.

THANKS GUYS.
EDDIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Punjabi1: Sorry to border you with my questions. I recently became a USA citizen and i would like to file for my wife who is presently in F1 Student status. I would like you to tell the order of the forms you filed. I want to file all the applications at once (I-130, I-485/I-864EZ/I-693, I-765 and I-131).

>>>Do I need to put a copy of the G325A forms for both the I-130 and the I-485 forms?
>>>Did you send the sealed immunization with the application?
>>>What reason did you put for applying for the I-131 form?

Please help.

All in the forum are free to help.....

Last edited by a moderator:
such a informative issues discussed by you...i have got so many right things which will help to issuace of greet card..

HELP Filling out I-485: J-1 exchange Details.
I am a recent US citizen, filling out the I130/485 for my spouse. Spouse was a J-1 exchange student a few years ago, and has completed the 2 yr HRR at home country.
(A) Where should we mention that she completed her 2 yr Home return requirement ??
The closest question to this is Part(3), Question 11 "Have you ever been a J nonimmigrant exchange visitor... and have not yet complied with the HRR requirement .."
I put no,since spouse has completed the 2 yr HRR.. But i dont see any other place where they actually ask for a proof or aything
(B) Part3, question 2. "Have you ever received public assistance from US govt or ...?"
How should i answer this, since my spouse received the J-1 visa on a US state department exchange program scholrship ?? is that considered public funds of US govt ??

thanks

Hello!
I already have sent I-!30 but made there a mistake. What should I do? Please help.

And another question. I entered the US as J-1 exange student. Then applied for F-1, but was denied. On my I-94 is the date when I entered the country- not when does I-94 expiere. So what I am trying to say that my date of entry and expiration date of I-94 are the same. The question is what should I put in the I-485 in the field "expires on " about I-94, or maby the date will be the 30 days after my F-1 deny? Please help.

Visa Waiver Program

My sister met a man from Scotland. He came to the US on a 90 day visa 11.8.09 where I'm told he waived
his visa rights. They were married in Papillion, NE on January 29, 2010. He is still in the US however,
is in jail and is being told he will be deported in the next three weeks because he needs to stay for a
court date this month on assault charges (bar fight).

My question is: Since they are now married, is there anyway to keep him in the country or will he be
deported? If he is deported, will he be able to come back to the US. If so, how long will he have to stay
in Scotland before returning?

My sister met a man from Scotland. He came to the US on a 90 day visa 11.8.09 where I'm told he waived
his visa rights. They were married in Papillion, NE on January 29, 2010. He is still in the US however,
is in jail and is being told he will be deported in the next three weeks because he needs to stay for a
court date this month on assault charges (bar fight).

My question is: Since they are now married, is there anyway to keep him in the country or will he be
deported? If he is deported, will he be able to come back to the US. If so, how long will he have to stay
in Scotland before returning?

As far as your case is concerned......it's better to consult a lawyer......He is only person who can help you at this point of time............

Hello there!
I'm new in this forum and couldn't be sure where to ask my question. it seemed to be more relevant to ask it here though!
I'm from iran and I'm a greencard holder and want to marry a girl from my own country. I believed the whole process-from filling out the forms to her arrival in the USA- usually takes around 4-5 years to be completed. but I just reviewed the latest visa bulletin and noticed that the priority date for my category (2A) has jumped from 01Dec2006 in visa bulletin for may2010 to
01JUL2008 in visa bulletin for july2010.
I wanted to know that does it mean the whole process would take about 2 years less now (considering this sudden 2 year jump)?

and one more question: if i want to file the I-130 for her, do I have to be her sponser or some other relative can also do that instead of me?

thanx a lot for your answers:)