How Long Did it Take to Learn the Test?

Kanda

I am curious how long did it take to you to learn that 100 questions/answers for the test.
Thank you

Hmm, most of those are common knowledge and with the exception of those that change (Mayor etc) probably not more then about 1 hour.

probably a day, (not continuous). read them couple of times. Then I listened to the questions 3 times while driving to work on 3 days. 20 min of time. Its pretty easy. If you have taken entrance exams in past, this is a piece of cake.

I knew half the answers before moving to the US. Paying attention in my first three years took care of the rest. I read thought it once however.

I am curious how long did it take to you to learn that 100 questions/answers for the test.
Thank you

Thank you

I didn't start "cold", I'd picked up some of the information during my time here because I'm interested in history and politcs generally. I've read through the list periodically, ever since deciding to apply for citizenship, just to keep the questions fresh in my mind.

If I'd had to start from scratch to learn all 96 answers, I suppose maybe one or two hours, but I wouldn't have attempted to learn them all at one sitting.

I listened to them in my car while driving to work a few times.

Just before the interview I memorized the few questions that I couldn't remember the answer to off hand like the firsts 13 states etc.

70 -80 questions are easy ; few are difficult.

When I practiced for my test I found there are about 70 or so question that are very easy. There are few question associated with dates, people names, early states etc. that are more difficult and require some practice. One of the place to practice US Citizenship Test has ranking of most difficult questions.

Good luck.

When I practiced for my test I found there are about 70 or so question that are very easy. There are few question associated with dates, people names, early states etc. that are more difficult and require some practice. One of the place to practice US Citizenship Test has ranking of most difficult questions.

Good luck.

Interesting website. Thanks.

I found the Canadian citizenship test much tougher. One had to know which province produces which grains and what natural resources are more prevalent in which part of the country. In addition to this, one had to know which eskimo/indian tribes lived in which provinces before the settlers arrived :)

When I practiced for my test I found there are about 70 or so question that are very easy.

I found the Canadian citizenship test much tougher. One had to know which province produces which grains and what natural resources are more prevalent in which part of the country. In addition to this, one had to know which eskimo/indian tribes lived in which provinces before the settlers arrived :)

Good thing I have Canadian Citizenship or there would be no way I'd pass their immigration process.

As for the US one, I had copies of the answers from years back, so I'd always glance at it from time to time. Closer to the interview, I'd just review it a little more here and there, few mins a day, if that, to get it all settled in...

The redesigned version of the U.S. citizenship test has a couple of geographic questions (What is the tallest mountain in the U.S., Name 2 of the longest rivers in the U.S., etc.), but nothing as involved as grain production!

Listened in the car?

Hi dandan123,

I was wondering where you got the CD for the car? I think listening is a good way to learn...

Thanks,
M

citizenship test doesn't make sense for the applicants who got their undergrad in any US universities. 6hrs history, 6 hrs government, 6hrs English mandatory for any major accredited US universities/colleges. they could accelerate overall processing for everyone by implementing that option as well as any other formal training that shows the applicant has those knowledge.

Both the new and old one are piece of cake. again it all depends on each individuals. but if anyone worried about the test too much should take the citizenship class. i know someone who took the class and didn't have to take the test. he was naturalized back in 98 not sure if that still applies. I'm sure the class will require you to take their test at the end of the class. But you won't have that pressure on the test that you would in front of the DO if you are worried about passing his,gov,eng tests.

citizenship test doesn't make sense for the applicants who got their undergrad in any US universities. 6hrs history, 6 hrs government, 6hrs English mandatory for any major accredited US universities/colleges.
Testing for knowledge of reading/writing English would be redundant for people with a US degree, but not history or government. I did European history for my history requirement, not American history. And nothing about American government.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite easy to learn and as easy to forget ! Most of the qns are quite general but we have to pay attention to the ones that refer to specific years and names.

I want to know if we have to answer the question verbly or the IO will ask the question or we have to read and answer or in have to answer in writing? The new questions are difficult to remember specially for the people who know little english like my wife. My wife can read the english and write little she understand english but she can't speak well, but little bit. Is it possible she can pass the test? I will apply in end of 2009 so new questions applied.

Hey Diamonds... well if you are referring to the Civics questions part of the test then those will be asked verbally, and they will need to be answered verbally.

There is also a written part of the test where you probably just need to write out one simple sentence that is asked of you to write.

Also, I heard it will be important to definately pay attention to the questions that pertain to our particular state.. like your state's senators.. ect...

U and your wife still have plenty of time to prepare ;)

For me is no problem at all I can remember within hours. But my wife doen't know english well, she understand well but, she can read little and can write little so I am worry if she can pass the test?? Actually I believe she can do it I know that enough for her to pass but she has no confidence she underestimate herself.How to boost her confidence? Specially she has to face new questions and new questions are difficult for the people who know little english?? A lot of questions has multiple answers so it make them confuse?