How long can you stay out on GC

mygcwaitover

Registered Users (C)
My family would like to visit India during Summer vacation to spend time with grand parents who need some medical attention too.

They plan to stay there for whole summer vacation when their schools are closed, say around 3 1/2 months.

1. Do I need to be worried about any issues on return at POE

2. Do i need to get a re-entry permit etc, when do you need this permit?

3. is there an official website where I can read this info or contact someone in state department or some US department?

4. Its around over 6 years when my wife got GC along with me, my kid are citizens. never taken more than a month trip to India in the past 5 years. we are planning to start citizenship process soon after coming back, do you see any problem or i need to learn of some rules and regulations here?

Thanks for your answer, appreciate it.

A re-entry permit is useful if you would be gone for 6 moths at any one time. The REP is required if you will be gone for a year or more (up to 2 years). If gone over 1 year without a REP, then one applies for an SB-1 returning resident visa abroad at embassy/consulate. It is a more difficult way to go.

Read 8 CFR 316 about naturalization especially 316.5 (c)(1) about absences. www.uscis.gov on laws tab.

so in your opinion, since my family is going for less than 4 months, we shouldn't worry about any issues on POE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mygcwaitover,
1.there won't be any problems with POE.
2.REP is required for abroad travel more than a year.
3.Online information available for all immigration related forms.
4.You could definitely start the process to apply for US citizenship.

You don't have to worry on POE. You can apply for a tourist visa which is for 6 months. If you want to extend, you can also apply for it. It depends upon what you want.