Houston, TX N-400 Time Line

@steve: Cool! See you there! Mine is scheduled at 7:00 am ...yawn...... :(

@plshelp: I remember bringing the tax transcript along but wasn't ask to present it. Did you ask IRS to fax the transcript to you or mail it directly to USCIS?

@steve: Cool! See you there! Mine is scheduled at 7:00 am ...yawn...... :(

@plshelp: I remember bringing the tax transcript along but wasn't ask to present it. Did you ask IRS to fax the transcript to you or mail it directly to USCIS?

@Steve : I went to IRS office and got the transcripts from there... I know transcripts have been dellivered as I have the delivery confirmation but my question for the phone staff was if my IO has them or not..... I wouldn't be surprised if they are sitting some where in the mail room.............

@yen - i think we're *ALL* meant to present @ 7am... From my house, that's like a 5.45am departure :S You'll know who I am, I'll be the one with the cranky kids and the sleepy head & bed-hair... LOL

@pleasehelp - did you get the name of your IO? There's no way to reach them? I can't help much on the process as I was like @yen and ordered the transcripts from the IRS over the net and then brought them inhand (also wasn't asked to present them).

@adv - sorry, no idea on when the next one is. There is a theory that they hold them as they get enough warm bodies to fill the venue. I remember reading on this board *somewhere* that someone, i think when interviewing, saw a list on the wall of the IO's office or something. Which would indicate at least a pre-plan on their part.

@yen - i think we're *ALL* meant to present @ 7am... From my house, that's like a 5.45am departure :S You'll know who I am, I'll be the one with the cranky kids and the sleepy head & bed-hair... LOL

@pleasehelp - did you get the name of your IO? There's no way to reach them? I can't help much on the process as I was like @yen and ordered the transcripts from the IRS over the net and then brought them inhand (also wasn't asked to present them).
@steve, lol, yeah think i will look as messy, especially when i have to start driving all the way there from Katy.:mad:

@pleasehelp - yeah as steve said contacting the IO is the best chance on getting the update. i still think there is a good chance you will catch this coming ceremony, fingers crossed.

YL received 05/23 - I am asked to bring "ORIGINAL IRS FORM 1722" or "COPIES OF INCOME TAX FORMS" for the past three years to the interview (do not mail).

Which is the correct form to get the above?

"Form 4506" @ irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf - w/o "T"
or
"Form 4506-T" @ irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf - w/ "T"
or
"Form 4506T-EZ" @ irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf - w/ "T-EZ"

I already ordered "Tax Return Transcripts" @ irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do for the past three years. Are these sufficient?

@pleasehelp - I noticed that it took a month for you to receive IL after receiving YL that means I should expect my IL around 06/23.

@ICGreen - I believe we both are in the same processing time boat. Did they ask you to mail any document(s) or bring to the interview?

03/23/2011 - Priority Date (Applied for Naturalization on the basis of marriage to a US Citizen - 3 years eligibility)
05/05/2011 - FP Done (as per scheduled appointment at SL ASC - Houston DO)
05/09/2011 - Online status changed ("On May 9, 2011, your N400, ... was placed in line for interview scheduling...")
05/23/2011 - Yellow Letter Received (bring 1. DL, 2. GC, 3. Proof of Residence, 4. IRS Form 1722 to the interview)
06/23?/2011 - Interview Letter (almost a month from receipt of YL) - Not received yet
07/23?/2011 - Interview Date (almost a month from receipt of IL) - Do not know yet
??/??/2011 - Oath Letter (sometime between ID and OD) - Not received yet
08/18?/2011 - Oath Date (almost a month after ID) - Do not know yet

Purrrfffecttt … That’s 5 months from March to August. I believe this is how they (USCIS) maintain National and Houston Average Processing Times for N400.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will get you interview letter sooner than 6/23.... If you look at the Houston DO time line, priority date is Fed 2011 for N-400 cases... you will probably receive interview letter before 6/23, probably in next 2 weeks or so.

There was a delay in my case since my file requested from another city. My priority date in Dec 2010 and still nothing....

New update!

Advantage - they only requested that I bring my my DL and court disposition documents to the interview.

@ICG - That's great. You received YL on 05/19, mine came on 05/23. Your interview status updated on 05/27, I am expecting mine to happen on 05/30.

@Pros - They asked me to bring Form 1722. I ordered transcripts for free on IRS website. Is this what they meant by Form 1722? Please see my above post for details.

@plshelp - am assuming nothing came in the mail thurs/fri? Did u end up talking to your IO??

@adv - I ordered the same and took only those. Not sure I can claim that this is *exactly* what they were after, as they didn't even ask to look at them.

"On May 9, 2011, your N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was placed in line for interview scheduling. When scheduling is complete, you will receive a written notice with a time and place for your interview."

05/05/2011 - FP Done (as per scheduled appointment at SL ASC)
05/09/2011 - Online status changed (see above)
05/??/2011 - Yellow Letter, if any - Not received yet
05/??/2011 - Interview Letter - Not received yet
06/??/2011 - Interview Date - Do not know yet
07/??/2011 - Oath Date - Do not know yet

I have noticed most of you have received IL within ten days after FP. In my case, over couple of weeks passed no update yet :-(

Im the exacly situation than you, except that today is 31st and I stil didn't get my yellow letter, I was wondering if everybody gets the yellor letter before the interview letter, do you know?

03/21/2011 - N-400 Mailed
03/26/2011 - Check cashed
03/29/2011 - NOA Rcvd.
04/08/2011 - Finger Prints letter
05/05/2011 - Finger Prints Done
05/09/2011 - email saying that I was line for interview
06/13/2011 - email saying that I will be getting the ID letter soon
06/16/2011 - Interview Letter
07/18/2011 - Interview Date

Im the exacly situation than you, except that today is 31st and I stil didn't get my yellow letter, I was wondering if everybody gets the yellor letter before the interview letter, do you know?

You are right; we are in the same processing time boat. I think we will be in the same oath ceremony if everything goes well with the IO in the interview.

I believe, not everybody will receive YL. If you haven't yet then you are lucky, that means they don't need any additional docs from you other than your DL and GC at the time of interview. I am assuming you already sent tax papers with your application. I didn't so got an YL asking me to bring tax paper to the interview which is being scheduled.

I guess, we both are slightly behind than others because of Memorial Day (holiday mood) and remember there was no oath ceremony in May in Houston DO so assuming backlogs.

@ICGreen - when is your ID?

@Julie - are you sure your FP scheduled appointment was on 04/08? why did you go FP walk in after more than a month on 05/05? personal reasons?

@ advantage - Sorry, my FP letter was on 04/08 and my appointment was on 05/05 and I didn't send any tax paper, so hopefully they will send me the appointment letter insted the yellow one, that would help to speed up a little :(, Thanks anyway :)

Advantage - I dont know when my interview date is yet. The notification I received last week just said that I have been put in line for interviewing and that I should receive my interview letter stating the date and time of the interview within 14 days.

I did not receive YL either, only the IL requested for ID, GC and passport only, which were the only documents IO reqested for my case during interview.

By the way, could anyone who has already attended the oath ceremony advise how long does the OC last?

Update... "Your N400, ... is now scheduled for interview. You will receive a written notice with a time and place for your interview. You should receive this notice within 14 days."

14 days countdown begins... Anticipated ID 07/01 or 07/05???

@Julie & ICGreen - Any update from you?

As I always been eager to see updates from fellow forum members to give me encouragement and helpful hints and info for my process (especially closer to home in Houston) it's time for me to report on my interview, which I passed successfully yesterday.

I arrived almost exactly at 12:30 pm for an appointment at 1:00pm. I noticed that the area looks different (I have not been there in 3 years). The street is wider and open (it used to be a dead end on the West side of the building if I remember correctly. The parking lot is on the North West diagonally from the building.

I was surprised that I was called quickly. Since I left my phone in the car, I couldn't check the time but once I was seated I took a glance at the interviewer watch and it was quarter to 1. I was called 15 min early.

The interviewer was very professional and courteous although not overly friendly or chit chatty. After the oath he asked for passport, green card and driver's license but I saw him only glance quickly at them without going over thoroughly. He counted the days to make sure that I did not apply before I'm eligible and said that I had 2 days grace. He asked to verify the address and work and just move right away to the civic questions without any warning. Six easy questions plus reading and writing.

After that he went over the questions on the application but unlike what I expected, he did not ask each question separately but he seems to lump every bunch of them together. When he got to the question about citations and/or arrests, he did ask about traffic (which I did not disclose the few minor ones I had over the 17 years in the US) but his question was only "Do you have anything outstanding/not paid right now?" to which I answered no (the last ticket I got and paid was about 7 years ago).

One thing I did not expect, but was not a big issue, is that my last name on birth certificate is hyphenated, something I rarely used here, especially that my native language has a completely different alphabet making this distinction irrelevant. I never used the hyphen in my green card process and neither the GC nor my national passport have a hyphen (passport has a space, GC has nothing). Nonetheless, he said that eve for that hyphen he has to add a name change document because he has to go with the birth certificate for the original name. This added something between 5-10 min to the interview (he had to make it twice because he made a mistake the first time). That was the only time when he started a side talk asking about something related to my work.

Other than that, he did not ask for any additional papers. He did not ask for SS card (other reported they were asked for it), tax returns or transcripts (which was mentioned in the YL and I made sure to have the past 7 years since I've been married and applied for my GC) nor a proof of residence or co-habitation with my wife (which was also requested in the YL).

After finishing, he told me some information about the oath and told me that I need to know that it takes half a day. I asked about my business trip scheduled next week and he said it's ok but the oath is in two weeks which I answered not a problem since my trip is only one week.

He said I can wait for the oath letter which should be ready in about 30 min, it took only 10 min to have it in hand and out the door.

Oath date is June 16 in North Houston.

Good luck to all those who are still waiting. In my personal experience, the process went very smoothly (unlike the GC which took 3.5 years due to getting stuck in name check). 92 days between sending the application and the interview. 7 days after becoming eligible.

Two more weeks, and a 17 years journey with USCIS since I came to the US will be over.