Homeland Security to begin collecting photos and biometrics of Green Card holders

More big brother :( I wouldn't doubt that they will eventually extend it to citizens. They test with small populations and keep widening the net they cast, a bit scary if this falls in the wrong hands.

The interesting thing is that it enters into force on January 19th, 2009 - one day before Obama takes office.

This is not a coincidence.

If what falls into the wrong hands? They've already fingerprinted every permanent resident, many times more than once.

I mean if they expanded it to citizens. I see you might still believe that government can never do evil ;) History shows that in many countries throughout the world this has not been the case time and again. That is why I have always had the greatest respect for the American citizens struggling for their civil rights and to limit the control of government over their lives. Don't you think so? :)

Will this hold us up to take our planes ... more excuses to pick on us?

Oh ya ... in the wrong hands. Look how many times our military and veterans information got into the wrong hands.

I mean if they expanded it to citizens. I see you might still believe that government can never do evil ;) History shows that in many countries throughout the world this has not been the case time and again. That is why I have always had the greatest respect for the American citizens struggling for their civil rights and to limit the control of government over their lives. Don't you think so? :)

Sure, but considering that there are thousands of American citizens who are fingerprinted every year for a variety of reasons (very few of them the result of a criminal conviction), I'm not going around worrying about it.

Sure, but considering that there are thousands of American citizens who are fingerprinted every year for a variety of reasons (very few of them the result of a criminal conviction), I'm not going around worrying about it.

I would worry about all this personal info from the US Visit program falling into the hands of an enemy of the United States. Not only visitors from every other country in the world abut also your legal permanent residents.

It would be like having your own little CIA & KGB (FSB).-

A little scary. Don't you think ??? :D

I would worry about all this personal info from the US Visit program falling into the hands of an enemy of the United States. Not only visitors from every other country in the world abut also your legal permanent residents.

How is that different from any other personal information CBP collects, on aliens as well as citizens?

This is another step towards becoming Gattaca. It usually doesn't happen in one big swoop. It happens bit by bit as the people accept each little encroachment with little or no resistance.

DHS is claiming that it will help in rooting out document fraud, which is a good idea as long as the LPR checks are done fast. Also, there is another good thing that they will implement. As you get your FPs taken over your lifetime of trips on GC, CBP (or whoever is in charge of this) will retain only the best FPs taken from you. This should minimize "false hits". Also, LPRs will still go through the "USC/LPR" lines and not bunched with non immigrants. Read the attached PDF. It makes for good reading.

DHS is claiming that it will help in rooting out document fraud, which is a good idea as long as the LPR checks are done fast. Also, there is another good thing that they will implement. As you get your FPs taken over your lifetime of trips on GC, CBP (or whoever is in charge of this) will retain only the best FPs taken from you. This should minimize "false hits". Also, LPRs will still go through the "USC/LPR" lines and not bunched with non immigrants. Read the attached PDF. It makes for good reading.

The arguments for fingerprinting LPRs are borderline ridiculous. From the document:

DHS does not, however, believe that this point is entirely relevant for the purposes of
this rule for several significant reasons. DHS and DOJ continue to uncover significant
immigration document fraud, particularly in relation to permanent resident cards (Form I-
551). Common examples include giving or selling a permanent resident card to someone
else, altering a lost permanent resident card, and using a fraudulently created permanent
resident card. DHS has substantially increased the security features on permanent
resident cards in recent years, but security features are not foolproof.

Yeah, because we all know that US passports are not forged, sold, or otherwise illegally transferred to other people. It only happens with Green Cards. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, because we all know that US passports are not forged, sold, or otherwise illegally transferred to other people. It only happens with Green Cards. :rolleyes:

True. I am not defending DHS, but they were mandated by Congress and the act applies to aliens only, not to US citizens (from my reading of the PDF). So, while it is a good idea to include everyone, they could not include US citizens by law.

True. I am not defending DHS, but they were mandated by Congress and the act applies to aliens only, not to US citizens (from my reading of the PDF). So, while it is a good idea to include everyone, they could not include US citizens by law.
That's one thing that shows the importance of voting. Including citizens in that law might have gotten the lawmakers voted out, so they won't go there (yet). Whereas noncitizens have no vote, so the lawmakers feel like they can do whatever they want to us.

If that helps government to keep America safer why not? As long as CBP does not hold you up on POE for long time.Hopefully they will be prepared to handle it timely and properly.