Home mortage with EAD & AP

Goku

Registered Users (C)
I'm currently trying to re-finance my home mortgage and having difficulties.

My lender says I need either a GC or H1B to qualify. ( My H1 has expired and I'm on EAD & AP ).

Has anyone been thru this situation? How can I convince the lender that my current status is as valid as H1B visa?

http://www.freddiemac.com/learn/lo/docres/lo_doc_resid_immigr.html
Freddie Mac says EAD is sufficient. But my lender's guidelines does not agree.

You have valid status but what do you mean by "is as valid as H-1B visa"?

What I meant is that, since H1B is a VISA the lender understands it. But since "AOS" is not clearly understood out side immigration process, how can I convince the lender that "AOS" is a valid status to stay in USA. Is there an documents from USCIS which explains the validity/proof of AOS status?

Well, actually "AOS" is not a status per se, it's a period of authorized stay but is in no way an official immigration "status" contrary to popular belief. As for the bank, I was in a similar situation and a copy of my EAD sufficed in my case, along with a copy of my I-485 receipt which clearly states that DHS is in receipt of an application to adjust status to permanent resident. It took a very little bit of clarification but it worked. Every bank is different though, as some banks couldn't give me the same offer they would have had I been a permanent resident at the time.

In addition to the EAD, show your Social Security card and I-485 receipt. And show the lender that page from FreddieMac.

If you're in AOS state right now (and have EAD, AP, SSN etc.) and apply for a new loan as a first time buyer, are you still eligible to get the $8,000 housing purchase stimilus check when you file your tax return next year?

If you're in AOS state right now (and have EAD, AP, SSN etc.) and apply for a new loan as a first time buyer, are you still eligible to get the $8,000 housing purchase stimilus check when you file your tax return next year?

I do not know the answer. Since not many lenders understand the concept of AOS and bound by the strict guidelines provided by underwriting firm, it is going to be long search to find a lender who can give good rates for AOS applicants.

Hello, i have been trying for new home buying mortgage loan-they tell me the same thing it has to be valid h1 visa-ead is kind of not applicable-just one bank is agreeing to give the mortgage but with higher interest rate?

thanks
anupriya

If you are buying in TX, and have credit score of 740 or above, I can get you the mortgage under-writer info that helped us.

Hello, i have been trying for new home buying mortgage loan-they tell me the same thing it has to be valid h1 visa-ead is kind of not applicable-just one bank is agreeing to give the mortgage but with higher interest rate?

thanks
anupriya

Last edited by a moderator:
Anupriya,

Could you please tell me which bank thatis. I'm in the same boat and the under writer needs some convincing at this point of time. Company immi lawyer is no help.

Amit

It is a pain to explain this to underwriters.

I'm loan broker in CA. PM me if you want more info.