HELP!! US Citizenship ceremony in CALIFORNIA (no state ID)

jgold310

Registered Users (C)
To make it short this is the problem. I had my interview and civics test today and everything went well. The USMS inspector told me I need to have a CA ID or CA Driver's license for when I show up at the ceremony. I have neither. My DL is from Texas, I moved to CA 4 yrs ago and didn't bother changing my license.

Did anyone have this problem? Could I show my green card or passport or DL from Texas?
He told me the ceremony in CA are at the court and it is different from other states.

Get the CA ID, or they'll pull you out of the oath. You're violating state law by continuing to keep your non-CA license for so long.

Other people faced the problem in the interview; the IO delayed the decision until until they changed their license.

the IO gave me a break on it but he said I may not be so lucky when I take the oath. I am going to get the ID. Thanks

This is weird. Usually, at the oath ceremony they only ask for a GC [and other USCIS-issued documents]. This is how you can prove your identity when entering the courthouse and dealing to USCIS representatives inside the court room. At my ceremony, they did not ask for a state ID and neither at my parents' ceremony in a different state. Maybe, the OP's interviewing officer put a note in his file to request a CA DL/ID before letting him take the oath, but I imagine this would rather be an exception to the practice.

This is weird. Usually, at the oath ceremony they only ask for a GC [and other USCIS-issued documents]. This is how you can prove your identity when entering the courthouse and dealing to USCIS representatives inside the court room. At my ceremony, they did not ask for a state ID and neither at my parents' ceremony in a different state. Maybe, the OP's interviewing officer put a note in his file to request a CA DL/ID before letting him take the oath, but I imagine this would rather be an exception to the practice.

They normally take care of the state ID issue at the interview. If you don't present it at the interview, they delay your oath letter until you get the ID and provide proof of it. So by the time it is oath date, the state ID/DL issue is resolved.

This IO just happened to give the OP a chance to provide the ID at the oath instead of delaying the oath because of it. Depending on the level of communication between the OP and the people administering the oath, it's possible they won't ask for ID at the oath. But they might ask for it, so it's better to get it.

Non-driver ID issued by the state is acceptable. Assuming no driving, of course.
If there is no driving, then a person is not obligated to obtain a state-issued ID at all - GC alone would suffice. This case is different since the person was holding an out-of-state DL already.

I understand that state ID is fine, but the OP stated he/she has a Texas DL, so the best thing to get would be a CA DL, even if the written test is required.

To make it short this is the problem. I had my interview and civics test today and everything went well. The USMS inspector told me I need to have a CA ID or CA Driver's license for when I show up at the ceremony. I have neither. My DL is from Texas, I moved to CA 4 yrs ago and didn't bother changing my license.

Did anyone have this problem? Could I show my green card or passport or DL from Texas?
He told me the ceremony in CA are at the court and it is different from other states.

You'll need to apply for either a CA DL or ID as proof of address and identification.Just take into consideration that it can take up to 60 days to obtain one.

http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe one is supposed to apply for a California DL within 10 days of taking residence in California. I am sure you are aware you are way over that limit. Apply right away, you won't probably get it in time, but at least you'll have some proof of having applied. I hope you are not also driving with Texas license plates. We need your taxes to fix our California roads, not the Texas ones ;)

Hehe, yes we need your money. Though it's required, many people don't convert DLs, especially if they don't have cars. They seem to be fine and get away with it, even when they buy homes and things. No enforcement!

Though it's required, many people don't convert DLs, especially if they don't have cars. They seem to be fine and get away with it, even when they buy homes and things. No enforcement!
If they don't have a car and don't plan on renting one, why would they need to obtain a DL? You can let your old DL/ID expire and use another form of ID (passport or GC) for identification. There is no law that states you are supposed to have a state ID or DL if you don't have a car. An LPR can live perfectly fine with just a GC alone if there is no need for a car. Thus, an IO cannot require a state-issued ID/DL at the interview if a person is not obligated by a state to get one. Again, this is all hypothetical because the OP's situation is totally different.

Yah that's true, but people have DLs not only because they have cars. I don't have a car anymore, but I DEFINITELY want to be able to drive, and when I became a NY resident in '09, I was legally required to get a NY DL, right? So, even in that case, I know MANY people who don't convert their licences.

For immigration purposes (and ID purposes for that matter) , a DL is no longer valid the moment the holder ceases to be a resident in the state it was issued. Driving with a out of state license when you are no longer a resident of that state is illegal.