HELP - Travel on AP without original 485 receipt

gc00

Registered Users (C)
We have our 485 pending in VSC, and my wife is going to India next weekend, and she will use her AP on re-entry (her H4 visa expired, and she has used her EAD, so she needs to enter on AP). Our lawyer appears to have lost the original 485 receipts (we have good copies). Is it safe to re-enter without the original 485 receipt? She has the original AP, EAD card, her payslips from work, my payslips from my work (I am the primary on the 485).

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 She should have original AP
2 she needs ONLY copy of filling I-485 receipt (show the receipt only if asked at POE by Inspector)

Originally posted by ginnu
1 She should have original AP
2 she needs ONLY copy of filling I-485 receipt (show the receipt only if asked at POE by Inspector)

Thanks for your response ginnu. My concern was that when I checked around from people in my office who had recently entered on AP, and all of them said that they were asked to show the 485 receipt at the POE, but all of them had the original so nobody seemed to know if just a copy would be fine.

In any case, the good news is that since the time I posted the first message, our HR found the misplaced originals in their files!

Does anyone know what is maximum time one can stay out of the country when on AOS and return using a AP.

wrong generalization gc00. ginnu is right. You can always say you dont have the I485 receipt at hand, but provide the receipt number.
Moreover recent APs come with a barcode and sticker which can trace all your pending apps with BCIS...