Help me understand the visa bulletin.

hellony

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys.

I belong in the family based immigration visa category 1st.
for All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed.

this is the dated that it lists: 02-15-06 . this is for the november 2010 bulletin.
i'm in the states under b2 visa. and will apply in the following week. so what does it all mean?

i forgot to add. my parents and siblings are US citizens. and so are my 3 children who were born abroad and have a US citizen father that I'm not married to anymore. I had a green card before but in 2008 the embassy took it from me because i was out for 2 years at the time.

It's too bad you could not get an SB-1 Returning Resident Visa back in 2008. Did you even inquire about it? Or did anyone inform you about it? Just curious.

What category are you in (adult Unmarried Daughter of a USC, sister of a USC????)? Please expalin, who petitioned for you and what country are you from originally. How did you get your greencard in the first place? Who petitioned then? How old were you? How long did you live in the U.S. with a greencard? Did you parents naturalize? When? How old were you then?

If you want answers, you need to provide more details.

I belong in the family based immigration visa category 1st.
Are you sure about that? It seems you don't understand how it works. Who filed I-130 for you ... your parent, your spouse, your child, your sibling? When did they file it?

this is the dated that it lists: 02-15-06 . this is for the november 2010 bulletin.
i'm in the states under b2 visa. and will apply in the following week. so what does it all mean?

It means that if you have a priority date earlier than Feb. 15, 2006, you are eligible to file the I-485 in November if you have not overstayed your B2 status.

But your priority date is not earlier than Feb 2006, given that you held a GC until 2008. So you if you are in the Family 1st preference category, you will not be eligible to file the I-485 in November, and probably will not be eligible until 2012.

i had no clue about the sb1 visa.
in 2000 we arrived in the US as refugees from algeria. parents + 6 children. i was 16 at the time. we received our social security card soon after. we reveived our gc in 2003. i left america in 2005. one month after that, my family applied for naturalization. soon after that they all received US citizenship. during this time i was living abroad with my US citizen husband. we never married in the states tho. he never applied for visa for me here. because we were working overseas. we had 3 kids. we r now divorced. i cannot go back to algeria, because we fled for political reasons. i lived in the middle east with my ex. my kids are US citizens.
at the embassy i was applying for my kids passports and i put in the application that i had a green card. the teller got big eyed and was like 'i need to see it' he then was sure happy to take if from me seeing that i was out for more than 2 years. i was so mad and i was crying because i didn't know where else to go and live with my kids. i refused to sign that form to give up my card. they said it didn't matter. i was about to move back to the states. now i'm on a visitor visa. and my parents who are US citizens want to apply for me. i am 26. not married. what category do i fall in to? is the priority date the date i applied? how long do i have to wait to receive an answer if it is approved or not? do i have to go for an interview?

:(

is it possible to get my OLD gc back? with the help of a lawyer? my gc doesn't expire until 2013. i just checked my case online from my old gc and it says it's still valid, ie. case is open. i also checked my ssn and the same with that, it's still valid. what does this mean?
in 2005 when i was overseas right after i left the US i received a few letters from ins to come for the fingerprint appt. for naturalization. i was pregnant at the time and my ex didnt allow me to go. i also applied for naturalization the same time my parents did. so i had intentions of coming back to the states. ex had different intentions i guess. he didn't want to go back and live there.

As the over-21 child of a US citizen, you would be in the family 1st preference category. The priority date is equal to the filing date of the I-130. You will have to leave the US before your I-94 expires (they probably gave you 6 months, since you were entering with B2), since they don't allow overstayers to adjust status unless they are applying as the spouse, parent, or under-21 child of a US citizen, and the I-130 itself grants no legal status.

You have to wait until they cross your priority date before you are eligible to file I-485 or interview for an immigrant visa at a consulate. If your parents haven't filed the I-130 for you yet, you have 4-5 years of waiting to look forward to, as it will take about that long for them to cross your priority date, given that they have are just reaching the people who applied in Feb 2006.

i just checked my case online from my old gc and it says it's still valid, ie. case is open.

That means nothing. Once the GC is issued and delivered, they usually stop updating the online status.

is it possible to get my OLD gc back? with the help of a lawyer?

Absolutely not. Remember that just 1 year outside the US (without a reentry permit) is normally enough to cancel it. You spent TWO years. By spending 2 years outside the US and obtaining a tourist visa instead of applying for an SB-1 visa, your old green card is deader than a dead skunk and not even a resurrected Johnny Cochran could get it back for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
hellony,

You were treated very badly by that person at the Consulate. What you have described is reprehensible behavior. You should have been informed about the SB-1 visa and encouraged to immediately to apply right then and there. Your circumstances about the divorce or even it was only a separation at that point must have been known to that person behind the counter as you there in connection with your USC children's passports and DOS requires that either both parents show up or else there are extra steps to secure permission from the other parent or custody orders etc...

If you've read some of my other posts, you may know that I feel that making a request for help from a member of Congress is a waste of time when dealing with USCIS or any DHS agency.

The State Department on the other hand is a prime target for a Congressional Intervention. They are extreme political animals. Also, the Secretary of State has broader discretionary authority than DHS or the Dept. of Justice/Attorney General in immigration matters. If a member of Congress cannot persuade DOS to allow you to pursue an SB-1 visa if you go abroad for it, then you may be able to at least ask for a private bill. That is always a long shot but your situation may have political jazz in that involves three USC children and their divorced alien mom who lost her greencard because of her selfish USC husband through whom she did NOT get a greencard but rather LOST it because of her marriage to a USC.

You may need a lawyer but you need a publicist even more. Contact your USC family's Congressional reps (House and Senate) and the press and get your story out there.

In my very opinionated opinion!

Your circumstances about the divorce or even it was only a separation at that point must have been known to that person behind the counter as you there in connection with your USC children's passports
really? how would a person behind the counter at the consulate know about her divorce circumstances just because she is applying for US passports for her kids? I am sure it was a consular officer who took her card, and not a teller/cashier. The consular officer had the right to do so, because she spent more than a year outside the States without a re-entry permit.
To get SB-1 visa, you have to show proof that you were going back to the States, but circumstances beyond your control didn't allow you to return on time. "My husband didn't let me go" - is that it?

i also checked my ssn and the same with that, it's still valid. what does this mean?
nothing. SSNs don't expire.

really? how would a person behind the counter at the consulate know about her divorce circumstances just because she is applying for US passports for her kids? I am sure it was a consular office who took her card, and not a teller/cashier. The consular officer had the right to do so, because she spent more than a year outside the States without a re-entry permit.
Exactly, and this wasn't just 1 or 2 months beyond the 1 year limit, it was an entire 2 years! And even at that consular visit after 2 years, she wasn't there to ask how she could return to the US, she was there for another purpose.

That old green card is 110% hopelessly gone. She's lucky to get a tourist visa, given that she was protesting the confiscation and cancellation of her green card rather than surrendering it voluntarily.

hellony,

The State Department on the other hand is a prime target for a Congressional Intervention. They are extreme political animals. Also, the Secretary of State has broader discretionary authority than DHS or the Dept. of Justice/Attorney General in immigration matters. If a member of Congress cannot persuade DOS to allow you to pursue an SB-1 visa if you go abroad for it, then you may be able to at least ask for a private bill. That is always a long shot but your situation may have political jazz in that involves three USC children and their divorced alien mom who lost her greencard because of her selfish USC husband through whom she did NOT get a greencard but rather LOST it because of her marriage to a USC.

In my very opinionated opinion!

Exactly said. There are not too many cases where a gc holder loses his/her gc due to a USC spouse. My gc had nothing to do with him. Yet, he didn't allow me to travel all these years. and he was happy when the consular officers took my gc, that way he can control me even more. And that way I had no place to go if i ever thought about leaving him. Smart jerk.

anyway, i will get a lawyer and see what i can do. We actually already have a family lawyer. we had him for years and he is amazing. he is always able to get the impossible done. once there was this lady who came with a visit visa, she had no degree, no family whatsoever here. she came with her daughter and was illegal after her visa expired for 2 years. he was able to get her a gc. how he did it i don't understand but he is a pro. he is 80 something years old.

ok, i didn't want to talk about this ever, but I know there is such a thing as a U-visa. for abused spouses. I was abused, phisically, emotionally, mentally. for 8 years. What can I do about that? Do I have to get my ex husband involved in it? Will the police get involved in this kind of situation? I really don't want nothing to do with my ex. Not even for the cops or whoever to go look for him.

My service center would be the Vermont Center.
Here is what it says for my case.

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative U.S. citizen filing for an unmarried son or daughter over 21 5 Months .

5 months until i hear from them if my case is approved or not, and then i can apply for i-485 when my date becomes current? which will be arund 2012-2014? am i correct?

if it gets approved, within my 6 months stay here, i am able to stay correct? and then what?

I'm really sorry guys, i know i have a million of questions. Thank you.

omg, i have a million of questions. please answer if you can.

how likely is it for my case to be approved? why wouldn't they approve it?

5 months until i hear from them if my case is approved or not, and then i can apply for i-485 when my date becomes current? which will be arund 2012-2014? am i correct?
More like 2014 or 2015, given that your I-130 hasn't even been filed yet.

if it gets approved, within my 6 months stay here, i am able to stay correct?
No, you will only be able to stay if your date becomes current and you file the I-485. I-130 approval is not enough to allow you to stay.

ok, i didn't want to talk about this ever, but I know there is such a thing as a U-visa. for abused spouses. I was abused, phisically, emotionally, mentally. for 8 years. What can I do about that? Do I have to get my ex husband involved in it? Will the police get involved in this kind of situation?

Did you file a police report of the abuse? Were there allegations of abuse in the divorce paperwork? Does the US have an extradition treaty with the country where he lives?

how likely is it for my case to be approved?
A fresh new green card? Very likely to be approved if you interview for it outside the US at a consulate, and don't overstay your visa or commit any crimes.

But if you file I-485 to pursue the GC within the US, you run the risk of being denied for having preconceived immigrant intent; you are not supposed to file I-485 after entering with a B2 visa, you are supposed to file DS-230 to pursue the GC at a consulate. They are lenient on the immigrant intent issue for under-21 children of US citizens, but you would be filing as over 21. But this issue is moot for now, since you won't be eligible to file the I-485 for years (unless there is a surprising reduction in the backlog of the 1st preference category).

Hey Jack,

No police report was ever made. My own mother doesn't even know. I kept it a secret for 8 years. we lived in saudi arabia but none of us are from there.

i've gotten myself in some big trouble. i really don't know where to live after i leave this place.

Well being that you are the mother of three US citizens, could they not file for you as being a parent of a US citizen. There are no priority dates for this type of filing......