HELP: Employer want me to sign "retention contract" after getting my GC!

usrfdluj

Registered Users (C)
This is an occasion when a good thing can turn into a bad one:

A few days after I get my GC, my employer emailed me, wanting me to sign some "retention contract", reason is "in fairness to company and its support...". I have been working for this company for 5 years before I get my GC.

My question is, if I refuse to sign these type of contract, can employer "cancel/withdraw" my GC (through I-485)? So what is their "big gun"? If they theaten firing me I would care less, but I just don't want to japerdize my GC, and the possible naturalization in the future.

What the employer does is really disgusting. I did not plan to leave until they asked me to sign the contract, now I just want to leave as soon as I safely can.

Can anyone suggest how I can get off the hook of "retention contract", while keep my GC safe?

Thanks a million!!

usrfdluj said:
This is an occasion when a good thing can turn into a bad one:

A few days after I get my GC, my employer emailed me, wanting me to sign some "retention contract", reason is "in fairness to company and its support...". I have been working for this company for 5 years before I get my GC.

My question is, if I refuse to sign these type of contract, can employer "cancel/withdraw" my GC (through I-485)? So what is their "big gun"? If they theaten firing me I would care less, but I just don't want to japerdize my GC, and the possible naturalization in the future.

What the employer does is really disgusting. I did not plan to leave until they asked me to sign the contract, now I just want to leave as soon as I safely can.

Can anyone suggest how I can get off the hook of "retention contract", while keep my GC safe?

Thanks a million!!
If I were you, I would ask for a big raise before signing the contract.

A job with big fat paycheck is worthy of hanging on to.

Yes, your employer's behavior is disgusting! It should do something else to keep employees.
I remember seeing some expert's post in this forum saying that once your GC is approved, nobody can easily take it back or cancel it... At least, I can not figure out a way how your employer could do it. But please check with the gurus and experts and wait for their comments.

IMO, you do not have to sign the contract. Employer cannot force you to do so. Study the contract, if it is worth signing (good pay increase etc.) then sign it, otherwise simple say I do not want to sign this contract, period. If they want to fire you, let them do so, your GC is still safe. If they create other problems, tell them you are going to report them to DOL. Try to stay there for couple of months. Once you get a good job, just tell them you are leaving, no big deal. Give a months notice or as required by any other aggrement that you have with that employer.

Do not sign the contract! That's absurd! In fact, make a certified copy of it and keep it with you, you might need it in the future. Or take it to a lawyer and ask for advice. I am sure you can find commom ground there - maybe you write your own contract with less time and more money?