Have to go Abroad

Kay Dee

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,
I am new on this website and hope someone can help me. I recently applied for my wife's citizenship, we live in Delaware so her FP will be in dover on the 25th Oct. Initially it was on 15th, last Saturday we walked in at dover office, the officers said ok we will do it but unfortunately she had "Henna" on her fingers (its a temp colour thing). So the officer said come back when this is off, and he rescheduled us for the 25th. So now we got 10 days more late then the original date :mad:
Here is the main question, Me and my wife are going abroad for her brothers wedding , I have already bought the tickets for the 1st week for Dec. I will be back in 3 weeks but she will stay there for a couple months. I don't know what to do I am not sure how is the time line working for phili office, thats what the officer said the interview will be in Philadelphia, I know we still have a month after FP but still want to take everyones suggestion. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After FP, it takes about 2-4 months to interview, barring any delay in name check. If she's still abroad, she can always request to reschedule interview. Just make sure she doesn't stay abroad too long (not more than 6 months).

I hope I will see more suggestions and time line over the weekend, Have a nice weekend everyone !!

OK Quick question, I just called the Dover Office and spoke with the person who does the finger print, I told him that we are going on vacation and we are not sure what to do if we get the IL in our absence, he said best thing is to delay your finger prints , you have 89 days after the priority date to have your finger prints done, so have them done just before you go on vacation so you will get at least a month to get your IL and then a month for the ID. Please suggestions. !!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest you go ahead with the finger printing. Monitor the mail while your wife is away, and just in case you get a Interview letter while she is gone...then either reschedule the interview, or reschedule your wife's travel to be here in time for the interview.

How's the henna wearing off on her fingers? If it's off by now, you may want to try walk in before the 25th.

Henna is almost off and thats why I called him and then I explained him the whole situation with all the travel dates and then he said the best thing is to delay your finger prints , he said its much better then rescheduling the interview. So i am planning to have her finger prints done by the end of Nov.

KayDee,

I like harveydonald's suggestion & ofcourse what TC said made complete sense too.
You can get your wife's FP done at the last moment, but guess what? What if the FP is rejected by FBI. The chances are slim to none but it's a possibility. Few people went thru this and they got a 2nd FP notice in the mail exactly after a week to 10 days. You may want consider this and not go for her FP right at the 11th hour, see what I am saying. Give it about atleast 10 days. You can also call USCIS after 48 hrs from her FP apptt & they will tell you that biometrics were done fine and are now in the system.
You said that you will be back in a months time. That's good. This way while your wife is away, you could keep a close look on your mailbox on regular basis and as soon as you receive a letter for her in the mail, you can immediately inform her so she could change her return flight if necessary & fly back to US. Keep in mind, the interview letter is usually scheduled according to applicant's convenience. USCIS often gives 3-4 weeks notice so you have enough time to get prepared for the interview.
You will be fine.
Stay in touch & have a safe trip.

Kay Dee,

Also, just as a reminder, please ask the attendent who takes your wife's FP to be very careful and pay close attention while he or she is taking her prints. Make sure you remind them that you guys will be out of the country for few weeks and won't have an opportunity to come back again if the FP don't go thru right in the first round. I would request a supervisor and see if the supervisor could assign your wife someone senior.