• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Have my Interview coming and I am pregnant!!!

Merry

Hey all,

my husband is a 2010 Dv lottery winner and I am currently pregnant in my third trimister. Our Interview will be around two months before our baby joins the family. And we want to have the baby in our home country. Can anyone please please tell me how i am going to be able to take my baby with me to the US if i am issued a visa? or if there is any link I should read on?
Please pleas......

Hi Mary,

This suppose not to be a difficult issue. You'll be issued a six month visa if you have a successful interview. That means, if your new baby comes two months after, you'll have 4 months left on your visa. Except it is not medically advisable, I think you should be able to travel to the U.S b4 the end of the remaining four months.

Otherwise, you could request the consular officer to extend the date on your visa to a favorable date that will be decided and agreed to between you and the consular officer. It happens.

Thank you for your reply,

I didn't know i could ask for extension for my visa. One of my worries is do I need a visa for my baby. How long will it take.
will the process take more than 4 months. and what are the process.

Is there anybody who have gone through the same process.
I am really desprate I dont want to leave my baby.

Isn't it better to give birth to the baby at the states.... he will get the citizenship , But the medical fees there are pretty expensive

Between the $ 10 and $ 20 K for having a child over here...Even if you have health ins. it doesn't cover child birth unless you take additional coverage. This due to US health care doesn't want people to pay for others peoples pregnancies.

I would ask for an extension of the visa and your child can travel on a visa that you have to apply for. After you become a citizen you can sponsor your child, not if you just have a GC....but that is only like 5 yrs away.

Hey all,

my husband is a 2010 Dv lottery winner and I am currently pregnant in my third trimister. Our Interview will be around two months before our baby joins the family. And we want to have the baby in our home country. Can anyone please please tell me how i am going to be able to take my baby with me to the US if i am issued a visa? or if there is any link I should read on?
Please pleas......

Read a reply of Johnkent on a similar issue in the below link

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?276910-DV-2009-Lucky-winners-from-Nigeria/page33

Hello Merry,

It is true that a health insurance may not want to cover your pregnancy if you buy it as an individual and because you are already pregnant. If you, or your husband, can get a health insurance as part of a group (employment group) then you should be covered. The comment "Between the $ 10 and $ 20 K for having a child over here...Even if you have health ins. it doesn't cover child birth unless you take additional coverage. This due to US health care doesn't want people to pay for others peoples pregnancies." is an absurd.

Good luck with your process and with your baby!

Hello Merry,

First of all, congratulations for your pregnancy. Here is my advise.

BEFORE GIVING BIRTH TO YOUR BABY
1- Get the Immigration visa (IV)
2- Go to the US ASAP to activate your Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status at the POE.
3- Go to the SSA to request your Social Security Card (2 to 3 days later, your Immigration records will then be available for SSA)
4- Return peacefully to your home country to give birth to your baby
These processes can take only 7 days.

AFTER GIVING BIRTH TO YOUR BABY
You are autorized by the law to travel back to the US as a GC holder with your baby without a visa on your first travel with him. Once in the US your baby will automaticaly become a Lawful permanent Resident too.
Good Luck Merry!

Tell that to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida who was the one telling us this...+ friends who have 4 kids all in a short time frame to keep the insured period as short as possible....and why are so many American woman get their babies so close after each other? Because they won't have to pay fr the additional ins. premiums!

Tell me how much a Hospital and all different doctor's, etc... together will charge? Myabe if everything goes well and you don't get pain medication, be in and out of the Hospital in one day you pay way less...

But an average pregnancy from start to delivery and cost for baby and mother will be easily between $ 10 and $ 20K.

This might sound like a joke but it is not. What if your kid wants to become President someday?

I mean if Obama's mom had given birth to him in Indonesia (she was traveling there often at that time) even with all his talent Obama could not be President. Don't deny your child that opportunity.

Thank you all for your replies and for congradulating me on my pregnancy.

I know the issue of medical expence is really difficult and having my baby (my first baby) in a new country may be extremly difficult for us. while here we can do it easily with the support of family and friends where the medical coverage could be covered by our employers.

I have read somewhere that a transport paper for my child would enable me to take him/her with me without geting a visa.
Can I do this without having the GC first just because I was issued an immigrant visa.

thanks for the support. i am just in too much delema.

But an average pregnancy from start to delivery and cost for baby and mother will be easily between $ 10 and $ 20K.

I have had three children covered by insurance. My out of pocket cost was $300, $200 and $0. One child was not covered by insurance, and cost me $10k.

Thank you all for your replies and for congradulating me on my pregnancy.

I know the issue of medical expence is really difficult and having my baby (my first baby) in a new country may be extremly difficult for us. while here we can do it easily with the support of family and friends where the medical coverage could be covered by our employers.

I have read somewhere that a transport paper for my child would enable me to take him/her with me without geting a visa.
Can I do this without having the GC first just because I was issued an immigrant visa.

thanks for the support. i am just in too much delema.

Hi, don't just depend on what you read on the internet. Consult the consulate in your country if you are in doubt of anything.

Hello Merry,

I presume that you would be able to sponsor your new born (born outside USA) or arrange for visit visa.

How did your medical examination go? was it different than the regular requirements? Did you undergo the required chest x-ray while pregnant?

good luck

Thanks a lot every body.

i haven't done my medical exams yet but I am exepted from the X_ray and vaccination. Will discuss that with the doctor and will let you know.

The link that you sent me has been very help full.

Hi, don't just depend on what you read on the internet. Consult the consulate in your country if you are in doubt of anything.

I agree completely with this

Merry, sounds like you talked to you medical exam doctor directly, that's wise.

I also hope you called your consulate as they can help you best to talk you through you possibilities. I do not know your country but they seem friendly and professional everywhere.

As for having your child in your own country I understand, go with your feeling and take the information directly from the consulate as they will not do anything to give you extra worries and you are probably not the first this ever happened to... you could also ask if you can postpone your interview date to after your baby has been born and add the baby to you family so the interview is for all of you. Ask for all options and review the information with your husband and then decide.

I wish you all the best!