have a appeal hearing next week.

Congratulations! What a great story! It just goes to show you that there is no consistency, rhyme or reason in anything USCIS does. After that many years of complaints, new laws, regulations an so on they still cannot get it straight.

I think it's all depends on the person(officer) who does the interview. they all humans and all have prejudices. some are bigots, some open-minded and unless your case is straightforward one (either positive or negative) - they all play role of the judges there.. I was blessed to get that oriental guy in February.. wish I know his phone - would love to invite him to the restaurant..

here is update:
Oath Ceremony
On September 25, 2013, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location.

o.k. people - this is my last post! i received the letter for oath ceremony for October,23! i want to thank you so much for support and advice here on this forum! especially for 3 people who helped me to make my mind:
WBH
Jackolantern
BigJoe5
God bless you!
Mauricephoenix - God bless you too ,Dear ,for praying!

Last edited by a moderator:
hello again people! tomorrow is my oath ceremony and naturally i want to apply for US passport same day,but there is a confusion here. I'm changing the spelling of my name(it was wrong one all the time) and i've heard that to apply for passport you need to bring SS card. but my SS card has and old spelling and certificate will have the new one.so question is - where to go first - SS office or USPS office? thank you!

hello again people! tomorrow is my oath ceremony and naturally i want to apply for US passport same day,but there is a confusion here. I'm changing the spelling of my name(it was wrong one all the time) and i've heard that to apply for passport you need to bring SS card. but my SS card has and old spelling and certificate will have the new one.so question is - where to go first - SS office or USPS office? thank you!

You don't need the SS card to apply for the passport. They may ask for other ID; for that you can show your driver's license or state ID (but if your existing ID/license has a name discrepancy you may have to correct that first).

Then you can take the naturalization certificate with the new name spelling and use it to apply for a new SS card. Bring the old SS card in case they ask for it.

You don't need the SS card to apply for the passport. They may ask for other ID; for that you can show your driver's license or state ID (but if your existing ID/license has a name discrepancy you may have to correct that first).

Then you can take the naturalization certificate with the new name spelling and use it to apply for a new SS card. Bring the old SS card in case they ask for it.
thank you - i will do just that

hello again.i've taken oath last Wednesday - there were 123 applicants that day. the ceremony went pritty quick -in about 1.5 hour everything was done including making individual pictures with county executive assistant and court clerk(executive was on election rerunning and the judge was on ongoing trial). after some people filled the passport apps on spot and payed cash and some people regestired for vote on spot(politicians were right there too:)) i decided to go to SSA office first - then to USPS. so yesterday after standing in the line for 1 hour - the lady in SSA processed all my papers and in the end said - you know - the immigration didn't change your status online yet! came back in 1 week..kind of dissapointed - but will wait another wekk because i want to do ss and passport the same day.

They'll take away your naturalization certificate for the duration of the passport process, so you'll need to visit the SSA before you apply for the passport or wait until after your passport is issued.

They'll take away your naturalization certificate for the duration of the passport process, so you'll need to visit the SSA before you apply for the passport or wait until after your passport is issued.
yeah,i know - thats why i didn't go to USPS - to save the waiting time.
right now - reading how to fill up the I-485;I-130;I-864;I-765. Also needG-325A;I-693:))) Lot of stuff to fill out for my wife:))

I'm curious about what that SSA lady meant by her comment. Does the SSA not accept the Naturalization Certificate at face value in order to update one's citizenship status? I went straight from my naturalization ceremony to the SSA office and got my status updated when I became a citizen. That was literally a couple of hours after taking the oath and all I showed them was my Nat Cert. This was back in 2010 and am not sure if something has changed in the process.

I'm curious about what that SSA lady meant by her comment. Does the SSA not accept the Naturalization Certificate at face value in order to update one's citizenship status? I went straight from my naturalization ceremony to the SSA office and got my status updated when I became a citizen. That was literally a couple of hours after taking the oath and all I showed them was my Nat Cert. This was back in 2010 and am not sure if something has changed in the process.

Were you applying for a new SS card at the time? If not, that might explain why they'd accept your natz. cert. before receiving the update from USCIS.

Or maybe the office where you took the oath sent the data to SSA immediately after the oath, but duparas had a judicial oath with name changes, so they might have take taken longer to update the system.

Why would you need to go to SSA when USCIS is updating the status automatically? :confused:

Because your citizenship status isn't fully recognized by SSA until you show up at the SSA office with proof of citizenship.

Ideally they would instantly accept the citizenship data coming from USCIS and you wouldn't have to do anything else. But the data from USCIS probably has errors here and there due to clerical mistakes and system glitches, so they'll wait for the individuals to show up with proof of citizenship instead of blindly accepting what comes from USCIS.

In addition, some people still have the employment restriction on their SS card because they didn't change it when they were permanent residents, so they need to visit the SSA if they want to apply for an unrestricted card.

Were you applying for a new SS card at the time? If not, that might explain why they'd accept your natz. cert. before receiving the update from USCIS.

Or maybe the office where you took the oath sent the data to SSA immediately after the oath, but duparas had a judicial oath with name changes, so they might have take taken longer to update the system.

No, I wasn't applying for a new SS card. I already had the SS card without "employment authorization required" text when I updated my status after getting the GC. All I was doing was letting the SSA know of my citizenship status change. They then went ahead and sent me a new SS card anyway several months later.