H4 Visa issue

Kami12

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everybody, Good Afternoon to you all!

I have a question. I came to USA on F1 visa which expired on June 2001. I completed my study in June 2001 and obtained OPT and then H1. Recently, I got married, left my job and changed my status from H1 to H4. After coming to USA as a student, I never gone back to India. I am planning to go back to India for visa stamping. Is it OK, as my visa expired on June 2001, although I have gone through valid OPT, H1 and then H4? I should also appreciate, if I go through drop-box/interview?

Thanks in advance!

You should be ok as long you have a valid i94.
Make a photocopy of your h1, h4 along with the i94. This will be helpful if you have an interview.

You can do dropbox/interview based on the consulate you are visiting.

Meow

Thanks very much-I94 to handover

Thanks for your reply!!! It has really cleared my doubt.
I have another thing in my mind. I have multiple I94s (from my earlier F1/OPT & H1, and now recent H4). Which I94, should I handover at the airport immigration authority before leaving for India?

I would really appreciate your feedback in this regard.

Thanks for your reply!!! It has really cleared my doubt.
I have another thing in my mind. I have multiple I94s (from my earlier F1/OPT & H1, and now recent H4). Which I94, should I handover at the airport immigration authority before leaving for India?

1. First you make the copy of all the I-94 (front and Back), make copies of all the H1, H4 approval notices, filling receipts and keep it with you for future reference. one set with you and one set at home in US
2 Attach all your I-94 to your Passport, when you depart US, you have to surrender all your I-94 at Airline counter when you depart US, when you depart ask the Airline counter staff for Staple (or keep a Pin with you to staple all I-94) then staple all the I-94 and give it to them, that way your all I-94 will be given by Airlines to BCBP and they will put all the I-94 departure info in BCIS computer and will not get confused.

H1b-H4 visa- complicated case. Help !!

Hi ,

I am currently on a H-1b visa and will be going to India next week (Delhi consulate) to change over to a H-4. My husband is on H-1 and has been in proper status all along. My problem stems back to two years back when I got married and moved to the US. I applied for and got my visitor's visa on 4th april, 2001. I subsequently got married on 7th april 2001 because our lawyer told us that I could get a B1 visa and enter the country & change over. My husband at that time also had a H1 visa but it had gone for extension and got approved on 6th april.

I entered the country on 2nd May,2001 and then after a month when we went to another lawyer to change over to H-4, they said that I had done something very wrong as it could be interpreted as "wrongful intent" as I had gotten married on 7th april, 4 days after getting B1 as single person.( which was technically correct)

So I applied for and got a 6 month ext on 26th Oct,2001 and before that was over, I got a job and filed for H1 in Jan 2002.which was approved in April 2002. I am working till now on that job but have now gotten admission in MBA which I have to attend full time. Therefore I have to change over to H4 or F1. F1 is not an option as both of our employers have filed gc's for us.

Do you think this episode will cause any problem in getting H4 even though I have always been in status and have all valid documentation required.

Has anyone recently gotten H4 from Delhi ? How strict are they ?

As long as you do all these changes
1. Inside US
2. Apply for the next visa at least after 3 months in the previous visa..
Then you are fine. Delhi consulate might not kindly look into giving you F1 if you try with them...

H1b-H4 visa- complicated case. Help !!

Actually, my problem is that I have to leave for Delhi as my father is sick. I have also decided that a F-1 will not be a good idea so I have decided to apply for H4 in Delhi and come back in time to start classes in Aug. My main concern is whether:

1) they will question as to why I went to the US on a B1 after getting married when my husband was there on H1. Do you think that could come up or do you think they'll not go that far back ?

2) And why did I then extend my B1 fr another 6 months. I'm planning to tell them that since things for our marriage happened quicklyand I already had a B1, we both wanted to see how things went and decide whether we wanted to stay on or return to India which is also a fact. But I don't know how they will take it there.

Dont worry as most of our worries never happen.

1) if they do ask, then say that since you already have a visa you wanted to use it and later convert to h4 in usa.
Remember h4 is dual intention, so it should not be a problem.

Good Luck for your stamping.

Meow