H1B Visa stamp in Pakistan, Latest situation

Find Better Opportunities

Its normal to vent out your anger but if you take a birds eye view, you've lost 30 months waiting...you couldve gotten ur HSMP or Australian Immigration approved in that much time if going from Pak was your sole objective.

No country is a haven, its really what you're after that will take you there but dont get your life stuck on short term goals like going ONLY to the US.

Aslamualaikum. I was reading up on the various comments posted here and wanted to compliment Ranajee on his informative posts - thanks for taking the time to write down details which are always helpful. Though my case is slightly different (and perhaps not as critical as others here), none-the-less I thought it worth sharing hoping that the information might help some folks and I could also get some input in return.

I am from Pakistan and have been living here in the US for the past 9 years (I'm on my 7th year H1-B extention still awaiting labor Certification clearance). The year before last we got our South African permanent residency (yes, it's a long story) and decided to visit South Africa (July 2005)to get our SA residency paper work stamped. While there I applied for my first H1-B visa to return to work here in the US while my family stayed back. I had to wait 30 days for my security clearance (Pakistani passport) and then got a call from the US embassy in Johannesburg to bring my passport for stamping. I returned to the US the following week.

In early 2006 I visted South Africa again to bring my family back with me to the US and decided to renew my H1-B and also have my wife's H4 stamped. Fortunately for South Africa we can book our interview appointments online and don't have to submit documents via any courrier service. The second time our visas were approved within 5 minutes after a few simple questions. The only change was passports were now returned via a courrier service who had a counter in the interview section. So from my personal experience, the first time takes up the most time owing to background security checks and the second time was just a formality - perhaps the wife also being there made a difference.

I am now planning to go for Hajj by the end of 2007 and needed to have my H1-B stamped again (after 6 years it gets stamped on yearly increments only). I was considering whether to goto Canada, Pakistan or South Africa (which based on what i have read and come to understand, would have been my best bet but the travel time and expenses are discouraging). From the comments here the process in Pakistan also seems to take up quite a bit of time. I'll have to explore the Canadian alternative a bit more.

Thanks everyone and Allah hafiz,

Jawad Khan
Dallas, Texas

ranajee said:
For those of who who are waiting for their non-immigrant visas, I would recommend to email at the following address. They usually respond you back in 5 or 6 days.

Pakistan Non Immigrant Visa Info Email Query:
PakNIVInfo@state.gov

You'll get a response back from the following email address:
PakNIVInfo2@state.gov

Best of luck to all. :)

I would suggest Canada is the best option. My two friends went to Toronto and they get the visa on the same day. In any case it will be much better then pakistan where a friend of mine is stuck for more than 5 months now.

Good Luck.

jwdkhan said:
Aslamualaikum. I was reading up on the various comments posted here and wanted to compliment Ranajee on his informative posts - thanks for taking the time to write down details which are always helpful. Though my case is slightly different (and perhaps not as critical as others here), none-the-less I thought it worth sharing hoping that the information might help some folks and I could also get some input in return.

I am from Pakistan and have been living here in the US for the past 9 years (I'm on my 7th year H1-B extention still awaiting labor Certification clearance). The year before last we got our South African permanent residency (yes, it's a long story) and decided to visit South Africa (July 2005)to get our SA residency paper work stamped. While there I applied for my first H1-B visa to return to work here in the US while my family stayed back. I had to wait 30 days for my security clearance (Pakistani passport) and then got a call from the US embassy in Johannesburg to bring my passport for stamping. I returned to the US the following week.

In early 2006 I visted South Africa again to bring my family back with me to the US and decided to renew my H1-B and also have my wife's H4 stamped. Fortunately for South Africa we can book our interview appointments online and don't have to submit documents via any courrier service. The second time our visas were approved within 5 minutes after a few simple questions. The only change was passports were now returned via a courrier service who had a counter in the interview section. So from my personal experience, the first time takes up the most time owing to background security checks and the second time was just a formality - perhaps the wife also being there made a difference.

I am now planning to go for Hajj by the end of 2007 and needed to have my H1-B stamped again (after 6 years it gets stamped on yearly increments only). I was considering whether to goto Canada, Pakistan or South Africa (which based on what i have read and come to understand, would have been my best bet but the travel time and expenses are discouraging). From the comments here the process in Pakistan also seems to take up quite a bit of time. I'll have to explore the Canadian alternative a bit more.

Thanks everyone and Allah hafiz,

Jawad Khan
Dallas, Texas

One of my friends went to Canada and got his visa in 2 weeks (2nd time stamping), though his wife was told it would take 2-3 months (1st time stamping) so he came to pakistan with his wife.

When he reached here, he got a message that the wife's visa was ready (in 1 week). So i guess its still a guessing game

Question: I will be entering the US after 1 year in Pakistan (long story) with first time on H1. When i land there, i might have another offer so i will require a change of employer. I've heard that you need at least 2 pay stubs for a H1 transfer...this is a big soup of what exactly is a H1 transfer, what is a new H1, whats different between H1 status and H1 visa. My question is has anyone been in this situation where you entered the US on a H1 and required a transfer immediately (without any pay stubs in hand) or some other way that can you start with the new company?

Thanks everyone.

Could you give a few more details about that friend's case whose wife visa got approved much quicker than anticipated? How much time were they given to come back to Canada and pick up the visa? I am assuming they did not have to cancel all their plans and just rush back to Canada for getting the visa or was that the case?

Its kinda strange I think that the man got the visa sooner than his wife. Usually, we men are the ones in trouble. Was the wife got flagged by the name check? All name checks are pretty unpredictable regarding the time they might take for clearance.

No they were just informed that the visa is there and they need to get it stamped, i dont think they put a deadline on getting back ASAP.

Anyone has the answer to my question above??

Interview on Jan 10, 2007 and administrative processing required

a101 said:
Yes, lets hope for the best. Do share your first & last name is you feel appropriate. Also, what is the latest on delays in getting the interview date? When did you submit your application to American Express and when did they assign you the jan 10 date?

Since you have an EAD so you would always have an option to give up on this process and go back to US using your EAD. We'll wait to see what happens in your interview?
I have applied for H1 visa stamping for 7th year H1 extension, first H1 stamping done from Islamabad in 2001 and second revalidation was done from within US.
Docs submitted to American Express: Dec 12, 2006
Call received from American Express to come pick up the passport, appointment date: Jan 16, 2006, 9:30 AM. I went in person to AmEx another day to request an earlier date, was given Jan 10, 2006, 9:30 AM
I took the Daewoo bus service from Lahore to Rawalpindi, took shuttle service from Rwp to G7, Islamabad. From there took cab to convention center for Pak. Rs. 60. It takes about 15 minutes to get there from G7 Daewoo dropoff location. On reaching Convention center, I saw long lines of people. You have to deposit your cell phone, get a ticket for the cell phone, get another ticket to board the Embassy shuttle service and then board the bus which will drop you to you embassy of choice in this case US. There are two lines outside the embassy, one for non-immigrants and the other for immigrant visa applicants. After going through the personal security check, the guard will let you in. Once in, you will get fingerprinted and submit the passport, and DS-156, DS-157, DS-158 and Parents information form. The fingerprinting is done within few minutes. Then you will be asked to wait untill yor name is called.

Here's my interview details:
Me: How you doing?
VO(Visa Officer): good thanks
Me: You are welcome
VO: Why are you going to US?
Me: I am on vacation and going there to resume my employment with XYZ, Inc.
VO: Oh so you have been working in US?
Me: Yes
Vo: Can I see you I-797?
Me: Handed over the original I797
VO: Looked at it , did something on his computer and returned it to me.
VO: What do you do for the company?
Me: I am Programmer Analyst and develop software
VO: (facial expressions told me as if he wanted to know more), what sort of software?
Me: Commercial software for our client in various industries. Currently I am working with one oif our client in ABC,MA,. Have you ever heard of them?
VO: Yes, where's you business located?
Me: My company is located in NJ but the client is in MA
VO: Where do you live?
Me: I live in XYZ,MA
VO: There're two former US presidents from that place? (with a smile), if you name one of them you get the visa?
Me: (Knew the names but couldn't recall)..thinking.
VO: Tells me one of them and I instantly tell him the other
VO: I am just giving you hard time sir, don't worry. Looks at the computer and I could see a frown on his face. Sir, I have approved you visa but we have to do administrative processing. Unless you are a known ter****** or fugitive from a country, you should be fine. Our standard line that we have been telling people. It's lowset level of check and if you still don't hear from us after a month, call us.
I think he mentioned SSO or DSO or something like that and said that it's been happneing quite a lot lately.Hands me a printed letter, writes my passport # and date on it. Reassumres me that visa will definitely be issued after the clearance.

The text of the letter is as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------
Dear visa applicant:
A consular officer has approved your nonimmigrant visa pplication and has determined that additional adminitrative processing is required before printing your visa. The timing will vary on a case-by-case basis, but will generally take a minimum of one month. Once we have completed processing of your visa application, we will send your passport back to you via the courier. Than you for your patience.

If you should have any questions, you may email them to paknivinfo@state.gov or call our information line 051-208-2121

If you would like us to return your passport, you may email your name and apssport number to paknivpassport@state.gov and we will send your passport back to you via the courier service. This email is only for passport returns. Please allow a minimum of one week to receive your passport.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I asked him I had travel plans and would it get cleared within three weeks? He said he couldn't guarantee but would do whatever to get it done(probably a standard line not an expedite request).

Me: Can I get my passport back?
VO: sure, here you go. But you will have to take it to American Express office once the check is cleared.
Me: I have another question? If my would-be spouse applies for H4, what's the deal?
VO: She can apply based on your I-797 but will not be issued visa untill your visa is issued. Or I think he also said that if she is issued a visa, it would be not be valid untill I am issued H1.

He didn't ask me for single document other than I-797 although I had two folder full of all kinds of docs.

Is it the dreaded security check or something benigh as someone in this forum received visa within 5 days? Any one else in a similar boat, please keep in touch. If anyone is in Pakistan and is in similar situation please email me and we can exchange phone number or information etc.

Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the security check and nothing is benign about it :( It does get clearance sometime quickly but usually is taking a few weeks. The VO certainly was a nice person and was quite open with you, I must say. Telling you that the check is of the lowest level may mean that its only one or two agencies that are involved so might be quick for you. Also, his statement that its happening quite a lot lately. I always wondered about it because on this forum we mostly get people who had experienced long delays. But the VO himself said that so it means its very common for Pakistanis.

I am also surprised that your interview date came after one month of submitting the passport. I thought it was more like 10 - 12 days - not a month. I hope your company is OK with this delay and you have vacation left.

Wassalam,
Ali

Well i submitted the application for my wife's H4 on Dec 11th,2006 (Be WARNED that they dont accept hand written applications now, it has to be printed from the electronic version -pdf- of the form available on the USCIS website).

The passport/form came back with a interview date of Jan 8th, 2007. The interview went fine (after seeing wedding pictures/nikkah nama (marriage document)) and the wife was told to expect the passport back in 3-5 days.

Keeping hopes high!

Hi Ali,
I think may be it's the timing. Dec seems to be very busy for visa appointments as lot of folks come on vacation. My company is fine with me waiting but I would like to get it over with as soon as possible.
Let's hope for the best. I spoke to someone at the American Express and told them the details. They were of the view that it might be just three weeks to complete the Admin Processing.
I gathered from the forum that if there's a name hit, the applicant is told about it but in my case the VO didn't mention anything regarding the name check or to have me fingerprinted separately other than the standard left and right index fingers, so I am trying to take comfort in the fact that this might as well be a benight check.
Good luck to all,

a101 said:
It is the security check and nothing is benign about it :( It does get clearance sometime quickly but usually is taking a few weeks. The VO certainly was a nice person and was quite open with you, I must say. Telling you that the check is of the lowest level may mean that its only one or two agencies that are involved so might be quick for you. Also, his statement that its happening quite a lot lately. I always wondered about it because on this forum we mostly get people who had experienced long delays. But the VO himself said that so it means its very common for Pakistanis.

I am also surprised that your interview date came after one month of submitting the passport. I thought it was more like 10 - 12 days - not a month. I hope your company is OK with this delay and you have vacation left.

Wassalam,
Ali

jefkorn said:
Hi Ali,
I think may be it's the timing. Dec seems to be very busy for visa appointments as lot of folks come on vacation. My company is fine with me waiting but I would like to get it over with as soon as possible.

jefkorn, I am wondering why dont you use your AP documents to go back to the US. i saw from your signature that you AP arrived on 11/08/06. You dont even need a visa stamp.

jefkorn,

Any updates? Have you called the embassy? What is their attitude on phone?

good luck

Still waiting to hear from AmEx!

a101 said:
jefkorn,

Any updates? Have you called the embassy? What is their attitude on phone?

good luck

I haven't heard anything from AmEX and neither did I call the embassy.
I have called them from US ( not sure if that should make any difference at all), they were cooperative. I think if you call them early monring, you can get someone in a cheery mood!

H1b approved same day with Pakistani Passport

Guys:

Posts below have been quite detrimental to my confidence for long time. I was under deep stress because of lengthy delays and other related paranoid feelings.

In spite of all this - I was intending to apply for US Visa at Islamabad earlier in Feb - after my two day stop over in Jan in UK to see my friend. But, because of strike by British Airways last week, I extended my trip to London, and used that time to apply for H1b from London instead of Islamabad.

My experience, as always, was exceptionally positive and courteous and genuinely warming - as it always is with Americans. I was told that my passport would be delivered within 3-5 days, and as a matter of fact, I had my visa less than 2 days. I am thoroughly impressed with the speed of service.

Some pertinent information:

Pakistani Passport - Machine Readable
I had entered in US on F1 in 2000 - and, hadn't left since then (this was little painful, but all things considered - I am glad and fully content for riding the waves of uncertainty).
I had all documentation, and produced as required: Post F-1, OPT, my first H1b authorization and employer letter (Fortune-10 company).
My name is not common at all.
I have MBA from American school, with engineering degree from UET Lahore.
Though I was not asked or given opportunity to demonstrate my affiliations - but, I have active volunteer track record - including but not limited to - American Center Foreign Affairs Club, Lahore; The Literacy Alliance; and various cross cultural understanding initiatives.

In nutshell - my experience has been totally positive, and I commend US authorities for streamlining the process. I have deep admiration.

Ravian,

Good for you that the visa process went smoothly and so nicely. However, it can't be taken as an example and the visa process at consulates, in no means can be commended. Individual cases do clear without problem at times. However, it is the overall nature of the whole process that is like a lottery. The only relevance one can find is to the name of the person... Is that commendable and sign of a great process? It is highly unpredicatable, which is sign of a bad process - high sigma value as we say it :)
<i>1 day to 6 months or more....</i>

ranajee said:
My Year 2004's Pakistan Visit Experience:
Applied for my H1B stamp
======================================================
1. I came to Pakistan in June 15, 2004 with I-797 H1B approval notice
2. Applied for US visa stamp within a week or two
3. Got my passport back with interview req. after 2 weeks of application
4. Went the following day and showed them the following documents
a. I-797 H1B approval notice
b. Job Letter
c. Two recent paystubs
5. I was asked briefly about my job duties and was told that I'll get my passport back after security clearance
6. Got my US visa stamped on August 13th

Total processing time = one and a half month

Documents required for application were:
1. DS-156 (Fillable online with barcode from State Dept. website)
2. DS-157 (PDF fillable)
3. DS-158 (PDF fillable)
4. Parent's Info form (Hard to find online, but available at a third party site)
5. 2 x 2 size white / offwhite background passport sized photo

=================================================
I travelled in December 2004 for two weeks to get married and my wife had already applied for H4 visa, and she got it stamped after showing my I-797 form, my passport and visa copies and marriage photographs in October 2004
===================================================

Recent Travel:
=====================================================
My Year 2006's Pakistan visit experience:
Applying for my H1B stamp + my wife's H4 stamp
=====================================================
1. I came here in Pakistan on Oct 18, 2006 with my I-797 H1-B approval
2. Applied with all the aforementioned forms and Rs. 6,600 application fee
3. Applied via AMEX Travel Services on Oct 20, 2006
4. AMEX told me that due to Eid, US embassy will get my papers after a week and after a week, I'll get my passport back and will be told if interview is required.
5. Got the passports (my wife's and mine) back from AMEX on October 29th and interview date is given on November 9, 2006
6. Went for interview, took four hours from Paking lot to interviewing window and took less than 5 minutes for the interview. We chose English as a mode of communication during interview. The councelor asked questions from both my wife and I, some of them that I remember are the following:

a. What is my job function
b. How long have I been working
c. Does my wife work or no
d. When did I visit USA last time
e. Saw our marriage certificate (I already had it in English along with attestation from US State Department)
f. Saw original I-797 notice of action forms
g. Told us that we both got the visa, my wife will get her passport in a week, and I'll get mine in two weeks or three.

7. Got my wife's passport along with US visa stamp on Nov 14, 2006
8. Got my passport along with US visa stamp on Nov 30, 2006
a. Clearance recieved on Nov 27, 2006 (11th business days of interview)
b. Visa issued on Nov 29, 2006 (13th business day of interivew)
c. AMEX got the passport on Nov 30, 2006 in their 3:30pm mail

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepare all the forms prior to your travel and submit them the same day as you arrive in Pakistan and give yourself a month. That was my experience.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of luck to all of you
I have a valid H1-B visa stamp. I am paling to get married in Pakistan end of this year.
So i am looking into my wife H4 visa process at Islamabad US consulate.
I am wondering how long it will take to get H4 visa stamp for her.

I saw you mentioned...

you mentioned that
"I travelled in December 2004 for two weeks to get married and my wife had already applied for H4 visa, and she got it stamped after showing my I-797 form, my passport and visa copies and marriage photographs in October 2004"

So you got married in December, then how come your wife applied for H4, before wending. May be i understood this wrong.

I am looking into the process, so that if possible she can get visa stamp with in 2 weeks after the wedding. Is there any thing I can do in advance that can speed up the process.

If she file her form at AMREX before hand (lets say 3 months in advance ) can we ask them to give us appointment on particular date.

thanks

do any one have experience with getting TD visa at US consulate Islamabad.

I am Canadian citizen working in us on TN. and my wife can get TD visa (same as H4).

I am not sure what will be the impact as my wife is not Canadian citizen nor residence.

will she have prblem getting TD visa stamp in islamabad ?

thanks

Hi all
I have a strange situation with one of my friend and I am wiriting it here for suggestions for him.
My friend went to Pakistan for marriage and visa restamping as his old one is expired. He came to USA in 2001 and his old stamp expires in 2003. His present I-797 is valid until Jan 2008.
He applied in US embassy for restamping and the took his passport and asked him to wait for adminisrative processing to get done. He is waiting since last year august. Its been 6 months now.
Now just recently he got calls from consulate asking if he is still interested in going to USA. He told them yes he is interested. The third call asked him to produce the new I-797C from USCIS. How can he get the new 797 as the present one is still valid and why are they asking this. What can he do to pacify them. Anybody has any kind of experience.
Please share your experiences so that I can convey him.
Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Sorry about the mistake at my end.
During my Summer 2004 visit. I got married (Nikah only) and got all the paper work submitted before I came back to the USA.

In December 2004, I went for the Rukhsati (Reception and all that formal wedding stuff). So, I had everything ready by December 2004 to bring my wife with me.

She applied for the US visa somewhere in Sep/Oct 2004 and got her visa in a week or two.

Sorry for replying late.

I have a valid H1-B visa stamp. I am paling to get married in Pakistan end of this year.
So i am looking into my wife H4 visa process at Islamabad US consulate.
I am wondering how long it will take to get H4 visa stamp for her.

I saw you mentioned...

you mentioned that
"I travelled in December 2004 for two weeks to get married and my wife had already applied for H4 visa, and she got it stamped after showing my I-797 form, my passport and visa copies and marriage photographs in October 2004"

So you got married in December, then how come your wife applied for H4, before wending. May be i understood this wrong.

I am looking into the process, so that if possible she can get visa stamp with in 2 weeks after the wedding. Is there any thing I can do in advance that can speed up the process.

If she file her form at AMREX before hand (lets say 3 months in advance ) can we ask them to give us appointment on particular date.

thanks