H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Thanks guys. Subramanya & lost_indian - I appreciate your replies. It really helps. Do I need Canada visit visa if I want to spend 2 days and move around before catching US flight? My mother is also traveling with me . She has USA Visitors visa (B2). Is there any additional issue with USA visit visa holder.?

sriram2004 said:
Thanks guys. Subramanya & lost_indian - I appreciate your replies. It really helps. Do I need Canada visit visa if I want to spend 2 days and move around before catching US flight? My mother is also traveling with me . She has USA Visitors visa (B2). Is there any additional issue with USA visit visa holder.?

Yes, you would need Canada Visitor's Visa, to go there. I had my mother with me when I went for Visa Stamping. She is on B2 as well, She required a Canadian Visitor Visa as well to accompany me. No issue in getting the Visitor Visa for Canada, neither for me nor for her.

I was in Montreal a couple of days ago, to get my Visa stamping done. Got it done for myself, my spouse (another H1), and my mom (B2) and my kid (US Citizen) accompanied me.

Thanks buddy. Looks like I have to apply for visitor visa at Canada consulate, Delhi and wait for 2 weeks for approval. But, Consulate website is confusing. For visit visa to canada, they are asking invitation letter from Canada.

Do they allow us to move around if I apply for transit visa in place of visit visa.? Web site says if stay is below 48 hours transit visa can be taken by presenting US visa copy.

dsugandhi said:
Hi,

I am trying to get a visa appointment in canada. I am checking nvars.com for the same but not getting any visa appointment slot. Can any one please give me some tips when to check etc?

Thanks,

Try at Mid-Night sharp 12:00 you will get for montreal , calgary. between 12 to 4:00AM they open others as per timezone I believe.

sriram2004 said:
Thanks buddy. Looks like I have to apply for visitor visa at Canada consulate, Delhi and wait for 2 weeks for approval. But, Consulate website is confusing. For visit visa to canada, they are asking invitation letter from Canada.

Do they allow us to move around if I apply for transit visa in place of visit visa.? Web site says if stay is below 48 hours transit visa can be taken by presenting US visa copy.

Invitation letter is not mandatory. If your reason for travel in the TRVform is to visit someone in Canada, they might ask for that. Otherwise, it depends on them to give VISA or not. However, Having USA H1 STAMP will be enough support for you :) that you will leave Canada anyway :)

No sure about Transit VISA rule. However, are you planning to buy ticket in advance? Once you have ticket (from Canada to USA just after 2 days you land in Canada), it will be another added advantage to show that as a proof to Canadian embassy in INDIA to get TRV visa in advance especially for your mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fr ur info, buddy. I am going to buy ticket to US in advance.

lost_indian said:
Invitation letter is not mandatory. If your reason for travel in the TRVform is to visit someone in Canada, they might ask for that. Otherwise, it depends on them to give VISA or not. However, Having USA H1 STAMP will be enough support for you :) that you will leave Canada anyway :)

No sure about Transit VISA rule. However, are you planning to buy ticket in advance? Once you have ticket (from Canada to USA just after 2 days you land in Canada), it will be another added advantage to show that as a proof to Canadian embassy in INDIA to get TRV visa in advance especially for your mother.

Attending for H1B stamping in Toronto on tuesday

I have a tuesday appointment for my H1B stamping in Toronto US consulate. Normally people are receiving their passports by 3 PM next day. But Toronto consulate will be closed on wednesdays after 11AM. Is there any one who attended toronto consulate for visa stamping on Tuesdays? If so please let me know when would I receive my passport back, assuming every thing goes alright. Would that be on wednesyday or thursday?

Thanks in advance.

query on stamping at canada

Hi,
I am in the US since 2004 , first on L1B( stamped twice) and then transfered to H1 in 2005 october , have my 797 valid till may 2009 and no Visa. Iam a BTech in Computer Science and having No MS degree from American Univ.

Can you help me with pointers on whether i can take up Visa appointement at Canada and appear for it or is it that i have to attend only at US consulate in India? any body having gone through similiar situation or knew about this kind of situation / experience please guide me

Thank you
uday

Canadian visa by mail

Hello,
I have an appointment at the Ottawa Consulate in October for H1B stamping...first time stamping.
Can I get the Canadian visa stamped on my passport via mail??
where can I find the forms/list of docs required for the same?? I need a single entry visitor visa to Canada.
thx
Anand

H1 stamp Renewal

Hello Folks,

I am permenant resident of canada since 2005 and presently working in US on H1B. I hv to renew H1 B stamp on my passport and i m planning to go to Calgary consulate.

Can anyone please share their visa experience, document requirements and Fees?

Thanks in advance.

Attending for H1B and H4 stamping in Montreal on tuesday Sep 5th

I have a Tuesday (Sep 5th) appointment for my H1B and H4 stamping in Montreal US consulate.

Are there any known issues, if I drive from New Hampshire, USA To Montreal, Canada? I heard something about I-94.

Do they issue new I94?

Thanks in advance.

Successful Stamping @Montreal

MyGC03 said:
I have a Tuesday (Sep 5th) appointment for my H1B and H4 stamping in Montreal US consulate.

Are there any known issues, if I drive from New Hampshire, USA To Montreal, Canada? I heard something about I-94.

Do they issue new I94?

Thanks in advance.

I recently went to Montreal and successfully got stamped. Please check my post: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=222571

FYI...I drove from New Jersey. No problems at all if you drive. Did not encounter any issues.

They will issue new I-94 while coming back into US. The US Border customes office is a time consuming process and exprience. Be prepared for it. They will ask all the questions again, and will ask you what your job function specifically is. No need to fill any forms, they will punch things into their computers while talking to you and will print out your new i-94 card. They charge $6 per i-94 card. Total time at the border while going: 5 min. Total time at the border while coming back: 1 hour.

Places to visit: Rue St-Catherine, Rue St-Lauret, Old Montreal, Chinatown.
All of these are walkable from the consulate.
Best place to stay: Travelodge (2 blocks across the consulate).

Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Stamping at Ottawa

I recently went to Ottawa and successfully got stamped. No question was asked and did not ask for any documents, pay stub, etc.

1. Hand over passport+i797+employment verification letter+$100 for me and passport+H4 approval notice+$100 for my wife to cashier (counter #7)
2. Called for finger print (Counter #5) after 5minutes
3. Called for interview (Counter #3) after 10minutes
a. Is you labor pending? ..I said yes and about to give the screen shot but the lady said she did not want that.
b. Gave me back approval notices and asked me to pay 2x$50 to cashier and went back to her with receipts
c. Went back to Counter #5 after paying $100 to cashier
d. The lady gave me two tokens and asked me to collect passports next day at 3pm
e. I was there at @2.30pm next day and received the passports within 2 minutes (yes... well before 3pm)
4. Drive back to USA through Vermont post
a. We were asked to pull aside our car and go inside for new I-94
b. Tear off I-94 from the approval notices, punched them to our passport, and put date stamp on our passports ... hardly took 5minutes (it was 8pm then)

One thing surprised me, when I was paying to cashier for two applications, he noticed my son. He asked me whether my son is US citizens or not. After knowing that my son is US citizen he kept our applications in a separate basket. There were several kids present that day so my wife and I thought we will not get any preference for our son (someone mentioned in the forum earlier that they got the preference). We were wrong; they cleared our case prior to others (most of the other kids are not US citizen). Others, those who came with US citizen kids, they also cleared prior to others. My son or other US citizens were not making noise at all. It was just a citizen factor.

There was an ABCD interviewer in counter #2, he was asking every detail you can think of or heard about. So, my advise is take all your documents. However, i did not see him rejecting anyone.

We drove from Boston to Montreal to Ottawa. We liked Ottawa downtown; it is clean and nicely designed city. We stayed in Marriot hotel, which is 5 minutes walking distance from consulate and all attractions in Ottawa. Places to visit are Parliament House, Art Museum, etc. All restaurants are two minutes from the hotel. For photographers, visit parliament house (please go backside), Hilton hotel (for nice water falls), open theater which backside of art museum (you will find parliament house is hanging on the sky).

Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Cancelling appointment - Toronto (Question)

I have an appointment on 25-Sep-06 in Toronto;

Is there any process for cancelling appointment?
how many days before should one cancel the appointment?
what if u don't appear for visa revalidation without cancelling appointment? would it create any other issues?

Appreciate your help..

Waiting For Lc

MyGC03 said:

Do they issue new I94?

Thanks in advance.

I HAVE MY LC PROCESS IN PENDING. I WANT TO GO INDIA IN 2007 DEC. I HAVE MY H1-VISA VALID TILL SEP 2007. I WILL APPLY IN JAN 2007 FOR 7TH YEAR EXTENSION. I AM SITH FAMILY(HUSBAN AND TWO KIDA). I AM ALSO PLANNING TO GET STAMPING BUT I AM AFRAID. I AM CONFUSED FROM WHERE IT WILL BE EASIER? CANADA, MEXICA OR INDIA? AFTER YOU GET YOUR EXPERIENCE IN STAMPING PLEASE EMAIL ME AT CDPATEL9998@YAHOO.COM.

THANKS.

Successful Stamping at Calgary

I went to Calgary for my H1B stamping on Aug 23rd'2006.
My case: F1-OPT-H1(F1 denied twice in home country,Worked on OPT,first time H1 stamping)
It was a simple process.The Officer asked me if I graduated from xxx university? What do I do ? He asked me to pick up the passport at 3p.m. same day.
The documents I submitted were: Passport, 100$ fee(cash), Confirmation Letter,DS-156, Approval NOtice(797), 129 petition, LCA, Employment letter, Copy of MS transcripts, copy of EAD card(OPT),I-20's (I had 3 of them because of SEVIS process).
I was prepared with my Original EAD card,Masters degree,Paystubs,Offer letter, pictures of current employer,previous employer letter & paystubs, Bank statements, W2's, tax filing copies but was not asked for any.

I read all the messages and made a list of all documents from this thread before going to the consulate.
It was very helpful. This thread has some of Successful calgary stamping experiences. Those helped me a lot to plan my trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
H1 visa stamping on august 31 in toronto

Hi,

I have a visa appointment in toronto on august 31st 2006.

Is there anyone going there on that date as well?

Also, I have a new H1 and got 3 years extension on basis of I-140 approval from previous employer. I have AP/EAD/PERM/I-140 approved and I-1485 is pending.

If there is any problem with visa stamping can I come back on AP?

For either H1 or AP, do I need originals of I-485 receipt and I-140 approval notice or will photocopies be okay? They are with my lawyer so I am not sure If I will be able to get the originals right now.

I've done AC-21 from previous employer to new employer and am carring the AC-21 documents as well.

DUI charge dropped and stamping in canada

I was charged with DUI but it was dropped to reckless driving. my background is F1-H1 and first time H1b stamping ?

1) Is is advisable to go to canda for H1b stamping ?

2) Will I be able to get canada's tourist Visa with this DUI charges but dropped ?

3)Is DUI comes under criminal arrest ? IMM5257B TRV form 12 c
"commited , been arrested or charged with criminal offense in the any country"

what should I answer here ?

H1 visa stamping on august 31 in toronto

Hi,

I've an appointment for 31st August in Toronto.
I am driving from PA.

floyd777 said:
Hi,

I have a visa appointment in toronto on august 31st 2006.

Is there anyone going there on that date as well?

Also, I have a new H1 and got 3 years extension on basis of I-140 approval from previous employer. I have AP/EAD/PERM/I-140 approved and I-1485 is pending.

If there is any problem with visa stamping can I come back on AP?

For either H1 or AP, do I need originals of I-485 receipt and I-140 approval notice or will photocopies be okay? They are with my lawyer so I am not sure If I will be able to get the originals right now.

I've done AC-21 from previous employer to new employer and am carring the AC-21 documents as well.