H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Re:

Hi
I will be in Ottawa next week. Could you please let me know where you stayed and parking facilities in or near US consulate?

Regards,

Subrata

testnamect said:
I have been a passive reader of this and other forums for a long time, and I have benefited immensely, so I thought I could share my successful stamping experience. I know I am a little late in posting this, but better late than never. I have two things to share here - 1) our PR in Canada and the procedures about it, and 2) H1-B stamping in Ottawa.

Whoever is not interested in the Canadian PR stuff, please skip this paragraph. We (me, my spouse, and our 11 month old) had till early Sept to go to Canada border and show the CPR (confirmation of permanent residency) card to remain eligible. So we chose mid July. Drove via I-81 and reached the 1000 islands border at around 1 PM on Jul 12th. The Canadian immigration people at the border were extremely nice, well mannered and cooperative. The whole process was done within an hour, and it took even that long due to our mistake. We went there in our other car (van) that was still on loan and so we did not have the van "title". You can only bring "your" things into Canada if you are "migrating" (different matter if you enter on visitor visa). But the supervisor was kind enough to let us go this time. In general, a very pleasant experience.

Next morning, we had appointment for 9.30. We had to stamp 2 different H1Bs for my spouse and me. We reached consulate at 8.30 and waited in the small line outside. The guard came to us and said since we have a small kid and it was getting hot, he would let us in early. Now one advice for everyone. We had carried a LOT of documentation with us, so much that it had to be carried in 4 different plastic bags. We carried house papers, old certificates, utility bills, and what not. The reason being in case this did not work out and we could not go back to USA, we should have all our documentation with us. That is not really needed, and even if you carry it with you, leave it in the hotel safe. The guard said there is no way the security people will let us in with that much stuff (plus the baby things). We told him we want to take a chance, as we don’t want to go to hotel and come back so late. He let us in. Another tip - even if you have to go back to hotel for something, DON'T PANIC. There was a very nice and jolly Sardarji there with 8.00 appointment but he had to go to hotel and when he came back it was 8.45 already. I know he got his work done. The lady at the metal detector counter told us it is against policy to allow so much stuff. We also had 2 pairs of clothes for the kid, 4-5 diapers, 2 bottles, some toys, etc. Again, being the nice people that they are, she let us in, but warned that we cannot do it next time. They actually made us eat a little bit of his formula, food bottle, water, etc to make sure it is safe. Another thing is that even though the instructions clearly say no bags (except plastic), purse, etc, a lot of people had carried purses with them and were arguing with the outside guard as to why it was not allowed. It's OK to be without a purse for 2 hours.

Once inside, we paid the $200 for my spouse and me and gave original 797s and passports. Waited for about 15 minutes. Our kid was in full-fledged playing mood and was making noise against our wishes. One lady at the counter called my wife in and said that they are actually trying to fast track our application J Sure enough, within 2 minutes, we got called at window 3, gave our fingerprints, showed employer's letters for both, and he asked us to collect the passports at 3 PM next day. That's it!! Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, and we actually got out by 9.15 (thanks to our kid). There were lots of Indians inside (mostly well behaved, contrary to what I read in some posts). Whatever I saw in 15 minutes, everyone got his or her visas. So if you have the status maintained and have the required paperwork, it is a breeze. Next day, we went in at 3, got the PPs back at 3.15.

Visa stamping at Ottowa PP is valid till 2008 but I-797 is valid till 2009

Hi,

I am planning to visit Ottowa for stamping. My passport is valid till 2008 where as my approved I-797 is valid till 2009.

Upto what year visa be issued?
Anyone had similar kind of experience?

dsugandhi said:
Hi,

I am planning to visit Ottowa for stamping. My passport is valid till 2008 where as my approved I-797 is valid till 2009.

Upto what year visa be issued?
Anyone had similar kind of experience?

---- Visa will be issued till the validity period of I-797 i.e. 2009 in your case

Subramanya

Plaese Help

Friends

I am canadain resident but on 7th years h1b1 ext in u s a . I want to get my visa stamped from canada .

1) Does canadain resident also need to get appoinment in order to get visa stamped on the passport from nvars.com???

2) when I landed in canada in july 7th I gave address of tronto . It has been mentioned on the u s a embassy website in canada that you must apply where u reside in canada . If tronto appointment is not available can any give address of any other place like vancouver etc etc and get an appoinment there

3) Right now no appoiintment is available onnet can any body tell me whats the best time to schedule an appintment on nvars.com.

4) Can they ask canadain PR holder to go back to home country (in my case pakistan) and get a visa from there . since I have already two h1b1 visas stamped on my Passport .

5)If I go to canada and dont apply for visa and from canada If I leave for pakistan and come back to canada and then try to enter u s a within one month can I still come to u s a using automatic visa revalidation rule .

Guys please help if you know the answar

Hi Subramanya,
I don't have valid visa on my passport. The 7th yr visa was exipired on July 2005. I didn't go for stamping. Now I have valid I-797 with 3 yr ext. Is it okay to go to canada for stamping?

Thanks in Advance.

subramanya said:
---- Visa will be issued till the validity period of I-797 i.e. 2009 in your case

Subramanya

Visa Stamping

I don't have valid visa on my passport. The 7th yr visa was exipired on July 2005. I didn't go for stamping. Now I have valid I-797 with 3 yr ext. Is it okay to go to canada for stamping?

---- If the visa is very essential then you can go to Canada. Otherwise, if you are going to be resident in the US for the next 3 years there is no need.

However, if you do go to Canada carry your approved I-140 with you so that if the VO asks has anybody applied an immigration petition on your behalf then tour approved I-140 will come in handy. You will be indiating this in your application anyway

Hope this helps. Else, visit the forum

Subramanya

Visa Queries

I am canadain resident but on 7th years h1b1 ext in u s a . I want to get my visa stamped from canada .

1) Does canadain resident also need to get appoinment in order to get visa stamped on the passport from nvars.com???

---- Yes, you do need to take an appointment

2) when I landed in canada in july 7th I gave address of tronto . It has been mentioned on the u s a embassy website in canada that you must apply where u reside in canada . If tronto appointment is not available can any give address of any other place like vancouver etc etc and get an appoinment there

---- Yes, you can give. If the VO asks be prepared to confidently answer
the reason

3) Right now no appoiintment is available onnet can any body tell me whats the best time to schedule an appintment on nvars.com.

---- After 12.01 a.m. until 3.00 a.m. (I have no clue why this is the best time, but regular and frequent visitors to the website have experienced this)

4) Can they ask canadain PR holder to go back to home country (in my case pakistan) and get a visa from there . since I have already two h1b1 visas stamped on my Passport .

---- If you landed recently, then be prepared for the answer. By the way how did you get H1B1 (normally it is only H1B)

5)If I go to canada and dont apply for visa and from canada If I leave for pakistan and come back to canada and then try to enter u s a within one month can I still come to u s a using automatic visa revalidation rule .

---- No, the automatic revalidation rule does not apply when you leave Canada as your entry to and departure from Pakistan will be stamped on your passport. Check the website for traveling from USCIS if ciitizens from Pakistan can avail of this opportunity.

Further queries, forum is there for you

Subramanya

H1b stamping at Ottawa canadian PR

Hello All,
Here is my situation please advice, any help is greatly appreciated.

I have an appointment in the first week of Sept in Ottawa, 7th year 3 yrs extension. I am a canadian PR I got my canadian PR in 2003 but, I never lived in Canada after I landed and received PR( was there for a week).
I am wondering on what questions will they ( Canadain and US) border may ask. And also in the consulate. ( will they ask me why I am not in canada?)...
Is anyone who got stamped are/were in similar situation. I am kind of nervous, any information would be helpful Thank you in advance.

I have an appointment in the first week of Sept in Ottawa, 7th year 3 yrs extension. I am a canadian PR I got my canadian PR in 2003 but, I never lived in Canada after I landed and received PR( was there for a week).
I am wondering on what questions will they ( Canadain and US) border may ask. And also in the consulate. ( will they ask me why I am not in canada?)...
Is anyone who got stamped are/were in similar situation. I am kind of nervous, any information would be helpful Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

---- If you are going for Visa stamping in Canada the US Consulate has nothing to do with your stay in Canada. It is upto you to prove to the Canadian authorities that you can enter Canada legally by means of a valid visa.

Subramanya

At border Canadian agent would ask for your PR card. Show that and tell the purpose of your visit i.e. stamping at US Consulate. Show them approved 797 if asked. They are not bothered u didn't live in Cananda. At US Consulate wheather u r canadian PR/visitor is not important, but your education, US experience and clean immigration status is what matters.
Being a canadian PR you would save $50 of visa fee.

thanks,

can_immig said:
Hello All,

Is anyone who got stamped are/were in similar situation. I am kind of nervous, any information would be helpful Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Family Emergency(Need earlier appointment in Ottawa)

I have to be in India first week of October(it is a urgent Issue). my 140 is approved and have 3 year I797.

Currently I have booked appointment which is on Oct 10 th(Ottawa). I desperately need September Appointment(12 th to 30 th). Can any body give me me a way to get a earlier appointment.

If any body wants to trade the appointment Please Let me know. It is very important for me to be India.

Power of Nvars.com

140jibjab said:
I have to be in India first week of October(it is a urgent Issue). my 140 is approved and have 3 year I797.

Currently I have booked appointment which is on Oct 10 th(Ottawa). I desperately need September Appointment(12 th to 30 th). Can any body give me me a way to get a earlier appointment.

If any body wants to trade the appointment Please Let me know. It is very important for me to be India.

I was able to get a Sept 18 th Appt. Thanks to F5.

Where do I get I94 if I travel from Canada?

Hi all,
I have valid H1 visa stamped on passport. Right now in India on vacation. I want to come back to USA from India. If I first travel to Canada ( Toranto) and spend 2 days as a tourist and catch US flight, do I get I94 before boarding USA flight? I mean do they complete immigration check at Canada airport and issue I94, so that when I land in USA city, I just walk out as a domestic traveller? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance

I have valid H1 visa stamped on passport. Right now in India on vacation. I want to come back to USA from India. If I first travel to Canada ( Toranto) and spend 2 days as a tourist and catch US flight, do I get I94 before boarding USA flight? I mean do they complete immigration check at Canada airport and issue I94, so that when I land in USA city, I just walk out as a domestic traveller? Please let me know.

---- You get an I-94 at the POE in the US. The procedure is while in the flight they give you a white to fill out and once filled out you submit the care to the immigration officer at the POE and he will verify your valid visa and other documents and accordingly stamp the appropriate visa and the validity date on the I-94.

Is this the first time you are coming to the US?

Subramanya

sriram2004 said:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I believe It would be Canada Airport before entering terminal. I guess since canada is friendly country they have US immigration at Canada airport itself. And Flights from Canada to US lands on regular terminal in US and not international terminals. So in USA you won't get POE again.

Atleast I am sure about Montreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visa appointment

Hi,

I am trying to get a visa appointment in canada. I am checking nvars.com for the same but not getting any visa appointment slot. Can any one please give me some tips when to check etc?

Thanks,

H1B Visa stamping before current H1 is expiring

My H1B is valid till Feb 07. I already applied for my 7th year extension. If I get approval notice ( premium processing) in September 06, can I travel to Europe and come back to US in October 06 on my existing H1B Visa stamped on my passport.?

Or is it necessary to get the visa extended first using the new approval notice, before I take any trips overseas.

Thanks